Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Everytime I read about this dude it blows my mind how many clones of him Ive met in my time working in academia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

same. idk why universities allow them to propagate.

I hadn't seen this before: https://github.com/ddol/rre-rms/blob/master/rider.txt

I am going to quote some aspects of it, and I swear to god these are verbatim things I have read in emails from colleagues/clients.

quote:

I do NOT use browsers, I use the SSH protocol. If the network
requires a proxy for SSH, I probably can't use it at all.

quote:

For reasons of principle, I am unwilling to identify myself in order
to connect to the Internet.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

here's a lot easier thing to imagine: stallman is a sad man who has spent decades alone in a one-room "apartment" that is also his office, and he drinks in secret at night and pretends no one can smell it on his breath

in everyone else's view, his b.o. is so overpowering no one wishes to speak closely enough to note his breath

he takes his computer out at dinners with colleagues to do email when nobody is talking to him

edit; someone at the table asks sarcastically "oh I'm sorry would you like us to be quieter for you"? softly, he responds "its ok, there's no sound anyway"