Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How mad are you going to get when I call your favorite Pokemon unviable?
5: I will set the entire cloud ablaze with the heat of my rage!!!
4: I will be quite rankled, and will have no problem telling you as much!
3: I'll be a little upset, and might debate you on it.
2: Disappointed, but I know my faves are bad.
1: I don't know gently caress about poo poo.
View Results

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Definitely a fun time but lemme tell ya Pokemon battling by itself isn't that interesting to narrate over, I always have a hard time with the pure battling facilities and you had a whole game of it! Always good to leave it and move onto new projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

EorayMel posted:

I am still glad this thread showed more people the wonders of stadium nicknames, the best part of stadium after the minigames and announcer :buddy:

Whenever I go camping, I make sure to bring

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I feel like having f ing kof in that lineup was not very well thought out

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I miss the Stadium games dearly. Not very interesting to narrate over, but so much fun to play! I wish they'd made more of them. I miss having places to try out team ideas that aren't the Battle-Whatever.

Yeah I know simulators exist but I don't like those.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

I'm still not sure why the spelling is Tod-It instead of To-Dit...

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Silver Falcon posted:

I miss the Stadium games dearly. Not very interesting to narrate over, but so much fun to play! I wish they'd made more of them. I miss having places to try out team ideas that aren't the Battle-Whatever.

Yeah I know simulators exist but I don't like those.
Same, but also the minigames. I spent way too much time on the sushi one as a kid.

BisbyWorl posted:

Whenever I go camping, I make sure to bring

:hmmyes:

Malah
May 18, 2015

Another entertaining addition to our treasure hoard of Pokemon LPs :smaug:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I kept meaning to get to finishing that last update up "one of these days", but not only did I lose what work I'd already done on it because of a very last-minute move, I also lost the save files for Blue and Stadium, and all of the text files for the updates past and future. Which means that finishing it now would require about as much work as an entirely new LP. (And I've already got one of those.)

This LP is, sadly, officially Over and I'm going to look into getting it archived even in its incomplete state.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 14, 2023

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

For those of you who wanted to know what my Grand Finale plans were, they were as follows:

1. Challenge Round 2 Mewtwo, one of the hardest enemies not just in the game but in the entire generation, with a team of six Bug-type Pokemon: Beedrill, Butterfree, Paras, Parasect, Venonat, and Venomoth. Each of them would be at Level 100 with max Stat Experience because I'd need all the help I could get, but I'd specifically mention that aside from the resources needed to get and raise them with Shenanigans, everything else I'd doing would still be totally in-scope with the rest of the LP, on the same file. No shenanigans on moves, just time.

I would, however, need access to Pokemon Yellow, and Tradebacks from Pokemon GSC. I promise this actually makes the strategy less cheaty.

2. This is Pokemon Stadium Mewtwo, by the way. At Round 2, it has max stats, Amnesia to boost it Special, Rest to remove statuses like Toxic or Paralysis, and Thunderbolt to hose the usual Mewtwo "checks", Blizzard Starmie and Amnesia Slowbro. My plan was to beat it with six bugs.

3. Open with Venomoth. If it also has maximum stats, it's just barely tough enough to survive a non-critical hit Psychic and get off a Sleep Powder, which it learns at Level 43. Assuming Mewtwo doesn't crit and Venomoth doesn't miss, which is about a 50/50 chance for both of those to go right, Mewtwo will now be asleep, but it'll be asleep with the nerfed Pokemon Stadium sleep mechanics, so it'll ways up in 1-3 turns instead of 1-7. That's still hopefully enough.

4. Assuming Mewtwo doesn't wake up and immediately obliterate me; in Pokemon Yellow, Venonat and Venomoth can learn Flash. With a moveset of Sleep Powder/Flash/Psywave/Psybeam, Venomoth spams Flash until either Mewtwo gets lucky and erases Venomoth, or Venomoth gets Mewtwo to -6 Accuracy, the absolute minimum. If it does, it starts attacking with Psywave, a move so bad you probably forgot it exists, or Psychic (naturally at level 50), trying to force Special drops to counter Mewtwo's Amnesias. Maybe I'll even force a Rest, but no matter what happens, sooner or later, Venomoth's luck will run out.

5. If Venomoth gets erased, Butterfree does the same thing, just barely surviving an unboosted Thunderbolt, possibly even with enough HP to get a Substitute up. Butterfree, with a moveset of Sleep Powder/Flash/Substitute/String Shot, also only available in Yellow, tries to do the same thing, while also trying to lower its Speed.

6. Parasect fills in if either Venomoth or Butterfree fail, getting Spore, as well as, from Tradebacks with GSC, Flash and Screech. I think you can see where this is going by now. Mewtwo's greatest strength is that it's only one Pokemon that can't be statused and can't be forced out, but its greatest weakness is that because it can't switch, any negative stat modifiers stay. Paras and Venonat are just for second chances at those same strats, because of how luck-dependent this all is. Once Mewtwo's been reduced to having paper thin defenses and no accuracy, and had its speed reduced at least once, we bring in our trump card.

Pokemon Showdown Gen 1 damage calculator posted:

Beedrill Twineedle (2 hits) vs. -6 Defense Mewtwo: 410-484 (98.7 - 116.6%) -- approx. 92.3% chance to OHKO

There is an alternate timeline where I ended this LP by proving, once and for all, that Psychics really aren't that powerful in Generation 1, because Beedrill can use Twineedle and OHKO it.

Edit: The reason this is LESS bullshit with Yellow and Tradebacks is because without Flash, I'd need to use either Supersonic or Double Team, and even I'd call bullshit about Double Team + confusion hax.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 14, 2023

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Beedrill is my boy so I'm sad we didn't get to see that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So am I, but the path to get there would've taken beating the entire rest of Pokemon Stadium, Rounds 1 and 2, behind the scenes, or fighting with finding a save file, getting that working, and the rebuilding all the mons from scratch. And that sounds doable, but I have to be realistic with myself, I don't want to. And if I don't want to, trying to force myself to do it anyways just makes LPing feel like a job, which is how I get into a shame loop and my LPs languish and die.

Better to take the graceful exit provided by unfortunate RL circumstances and bow out.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Oh yeah, absolutely. You did a stellar job with the rest of this LP which already involved massive quantities of work. Definitely not worth doing it all again just for that. And thanks for posting the strategy, I can just use the power of my imagination for the rest!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Never Forget:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

It's a shame, but fully understandable. Honestly even if you weren't burnt out on it, I don't think anyone would blame you for dropping it after losing everything. The LP Curse is alive and well.

When you archive it, maybe include that last post explaining what you were going to do before losing everything. It'd be a nice little end cap regardless.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Alright, talked with Baldurk via email and the plan is to get everything prepped for easy archival and then submit it in the next couple days. Even if I didn't quite end it the way I wanted to, I did finally finish a screenshot LP! I'd hate to see it fall into the ether because I never got around to properly formatting the OP.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

I definitely enjoyed this LP throughout its completion, and I'm glad you're getting it archived. Your depth of Gen I knowledge has been crazy impressive, and really showed me what silly constraints can be placed on various playthroughs of various generations while still having them be beatable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

dervival posted:

Your depth of Gen I knowledge has been crazy impressive
Thanks! It's the autism. :)