Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How mad are you going to get when I call your favorite Pokemon unviable?
5: I will set the entire cloud ablaze with the heat of my rage!!!
4: I will be quite rankled, and will have no problem telling you as much!
3: I'll be a little upset, and might debate you on it.
2: Disappointed, but I know my faves are bad.
1: I don't know gently caress about poo poo.
View Results

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm doing this for my boy BORT now. He is my son and I have to do right by him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Dear God just pokehack decent IVs that aren't gamebreaking. I don't think anyone will call your a liar and a cheat after that montage. And please god don't grind just that Nidoran to do the next gyms. At least let yourself use stat enhancers as a useful medium

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

On the bright side, this should get easier as you get further in to the challenge and get more stat exp. On the less bright side, some of the later Stadium fights are loving horseshit and will still probably kick your teeth in at some point.

But also yes, nobody will blame you for just hacking the stat experience. If its the same result, it doesn't matter how its accomplished.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

PMush Perfect posted:

In addition, in order to prevent cheese and save me horrendous grinding,

That went well

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah none of this is even intended, the Stadium games were for when you completed the originals and wanted to extend the lacklustre postgame into fighting... IN 3-D!!! We don't care if you hack, copy your Blue sav, edit the copy so everything is ready to battle, go to town in Stadium and battle with some cool mons I've definitely never thought about competitively, then go back to the original sav with everything at the standard DVs and Stat Exp so you don't blow through the rest of the game too easily. Hacking is cool and good, I love doing it!

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
On the other hand I want to see a victorious struggle against impossible bullshit odds.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

... are you okay? Why would you torture yourself like this?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

PMush broke a lot earlier than I was expecting.

Nothing left to do now but embrace it.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Trasson posted:

On the other hand I want to see a victorious struggle against impossible bullshit odds.

I'll have to agree

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm
Is this the game's revenge after the Pika Cup team building shenanigans?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
...Bringing your critters up to rental standards? I played the poo poo out of Stadium as a kid, and I remember that rentals had really, really bad stats. And the most random goddamn move sets.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Rentals won't be as good as a 100% trained up pokemon but they will still be a lot better than one that was caught fresh. I think the misconception comes because rentals have worse stats than the pokemon the AI has available. I feel that Brock is going to be the major hurdle in this challenge. A ton of options open up before Misty and you can get a lot of strong monsters like Gloom, Kadabra and the Moon Stone evolutions.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Black Robe posted:

PMush broke a lot earlier than I was expecting.
Of a lot of good posts in this thread, I think this is my favorite.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Well...don’t think I’ve EVER seen a Gen 1 pokemon game break someone’s spirit like this. Pretty sure our LPer doesn’t even have a soul anymore at this point.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I came into this knowing it would be hardest at first. Definitely not doing that again, though.

And I'm going to be giving myself infinite money once I have access to Meowth because gently caress Pay Day grinding so I can afford multiples of the Game Corner TMs.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

PMush Perfect posted:

And I'm going to be giving myself infinite money once I have access to Meowth because gently caress Pay Day grinding so I can afford multiples of the Game Corner TMs.

Don't worry about it, the Trainer-Fly glitch and item duping are clearly valid forms of gameplay

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Eh, the trainer fly glitch kind of breaks the spirit of the run given that it breaks the whole "working within availability" thing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This actually works well as an example of what I am and am not okay with. I'll probably make a more in-depth post at some point, but as of right now, my rule is basically "assuming unlimited free time, how far could I get without using bugs/exploits?", but also trying to not accelerate out of turn. Like, as hilariously effective as "Double Team/Toxic/Leech Seed/Growth" stall Venusaur would be with max EVs and perfect IVs, that kind of ruins the fun of the LP.

Update maybe tomorrow? Somebody gifted me Battletech and hoo boy is "X-Com but with robots" apparently everything I never knew I always wanted.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I almost missed this, I liked the old LP so I'm glad yu found a way to get it with only losing some of your sanity.

I find Stadium 1 so fascinating just because of when it was made, on a lot of levels. Like there's only 150 pokemon to pull on and once yo ustart looking how that breaks down into families and typing, it's not that much so that requires some weird galaxy brain team making on the CPU part. And the state of movepools in Gen 1 is....also something else entirely, we've seen that both in long term team building and on the questionabel rental movepools.
And beyond that you have all these animations that absolutely came about because it was the first 3d pokemon game (well, more or less), there were "only" 151 pokemon and there wasn't a solid series bible to work from. So you have these extravagant weird animations that take a forever to execute and the pokemon are contortingin weird ways. Jynx disappears in a wig!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Should I release my next update in two short parts, one with the lead up to Brock being mostly solved, and one with the Brock struggle itself, or all in one chunk?

Edit: Eh, I'm mostly done with the second half anyways, I'll just get it all in one big update.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 6, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Route 4: Will This Pokemon Swap Change the Flow of Battle?

And we're back! One training montage later, ready for another take on the castle. With us, we've got our new team...

BORT and TREBLE, taking over for Oberon and Pudding...

LOSENGE and DOG, picking up where Margarine and Tartar left off...

And, of course, JABLES and EE♣EEEEE

It's super effective effective effective effective word go go ggggggg♠♠♠☼

♀Pゥ ゥゥT 4B 8 4 8

TATERS the Pikachu, carrying the legacy of FearItself and Rice, respectively!

Bug Boy's theme is two complete lines of the same Pokemon, and in anything except this kind of challenge, four of them would be complete gimmes. As-is, everything except Metapod is strong enough to finish off a weakened Pokemon, and if Beedrill uses Hyper Beam, we're probably losing something. This first battle always comes down to which he brings. If both Beedrill and Butterfree are in his team, it's a difficult battle with LOSENGE and JABLES pulling a lot of weight.

And then sometimes this happens.

Losses: 1

Lad's got a team that could theoretically be kind of annoying, using status moves to lock us down and then wearing us away with draining moves. Except there's two problems with this theory.

First, he almost never uses the status moves, not even when...

The second problem appears for him. LOSENGE resists or double resists every single attack they have.

LOSENGE's Confusion continues to do work, I've never even seen him get down to half HP in this battle.

Losses: 0

Jr. Boy, based on Brock's trainer who kicked your rear end with Sandshrew at least once, don't even front, is significantly more of a challenge. Every single member of his team except Pidgey has at least one devastatingly powerful attack. In most cases, there's counterplay, though.

BORT can take out Geodude with Vine Whip as long as it doesn't get exploded on, and can usually win a one-on-one with Dugtrio as long as it spends at least one turn trying to use Fissure (an instant KO move but with only 30% accuracy).

TATERS is far from bulky, and Thundershock is only 60 BP even with STAB and a super effective hit, but it's enough to beat Pidgey...

However, DOG is rocking a 120 BP Hyper Fang, which is only resisted by one member instead of three. ...I think I need to revise my viability ranking for Pikachu.

The others, especially TREBLE, mostly exist to patch holes, soften up targets, fly over a predicted Fissure or Earthquake, and sometimes just spam Sand Attack and pray. Jr. Boy also likes to change Pokemon when he feels like he's at a disadvantage, so we can often get off a Sand Attack on the switch, which makes our own switching safer.

It's still a hell of a battle, and going up against Farfetch'd can flatten anyone it gets a solid hit on (how's that for a phrase you never thought you'd hear), but it's actually achievable now. DOG, especially, ended up being a lifesaver with how much consistent damage he can deal.

Losses: 5

Brock's team doesn't have any special gimmicks, except an anime reference, but it's still a significant hurdle for us, and even before the battle, I go into some serious analysis about his options and ours.

Onix is Brock's usual (but not only) lead, and despite being a pretty terrible Pokemon that BORT can KO in one move (more on that when we get to Rock Tunnel), Bind is a terror of an attack in Gen 1. It, along with Fire Spin, Wrap, and Clamp, keep a hit Pokemon from attacking for 2-5 turns while it wears us down into range of a KO from Earthquake or Rock Slide. Onix is remarkably fast, and Binds 85% accuracy is enough to make sure it can't 100-to-0 our entire team in one go, but if we get unlucky, it can really ruin our day. Thus, it basically forces a switch (which is both allowed and actually robs Onix of its attack on that turn), which can start a snowball effect.

Images of Cubone owning my poo poo would go here, but I didn't actually catch any that would be good for an update and like hell am I doing it all again until I get a good one.

Cubone can fish for kills with Fissure, not being double-weak, but should mostly be blunted by TREBLE, especially after a couple Sand Attacks render it even less capable of dealing any real damage. (Though Body Slam's 30% paralysis chance keeps it from being a complete joke.)

Vulpix is another major threat, as it keeps Bort from reigning unopposed in the ~50% of the battles it participates in. Without anything that resists Fire, we have to rely on the rest of our team's ability to weather Special hits. I usually choose bring TATERS for this, as it should probably outspeed Vulpix, and paralyze it with Thunder Wave before it can build up too much momentum. Paralysis, plus Sand Attack spam from TREBLE, should keep the odds in our favor on that.

Of Omanyte and Kabuto, I'd say Kabuto is the bigger threat. Kabuto has a much lower Special, which means BORT can take it out in one hit, but Kabuto is faster than BORT, so it can bring that Blizzard down before we get a chance. Omanyte can always weather a non-critical Vine Whip, and hit back with an Ice Beam, but it can still potentially be taken down in one hit, and its own Ice Beam won't kill without a crit. Neither is trivial, especially if BORT's not out to answer them, but of the two, I'd definitely rather see Omanyte.

Graveler... well, Graveler's also a problem.

Especially when that happens.

Its huge Defense and Normal resistance makes taking it out with anything but BORT rather unfeasible, and it's just bulky enough that a single Vine Whip can't bring it down. This is a problem, as we are seriously leaning on BORT to carry us here, so if Graveler takes him out, we're fighting an uphill battle for the rest of the game. And with a 95 base Attack, it's well-equipped to do just that.

I'd like to tell you the specifics of how I won, and give you a dramatic play-by-play, but honestly after so many runs in a row, everything starts to blend together. You'll just have to take my word for it... and maybe a few dramatic screenshots of how lucky I got in the end there really will be worth a thousand words.

How much do you think it'd cost to get this printed and framed? Or maybe as a tattoo...

Losses: 4
Total Losses: 10

Most of the difficulty, in retrospect, came more from the lack of Pokemon and type variety than movesets. With only a handful of viable Pokemon, I didn't have much in the way of strategic flexibility, I just had to keep smashing my head into the wall until tactics and luck pulled me through. Now that we've got a much wider variety from now on, things should be a good bit easier in the future.

This... we'll come back to later.

Next Time on Multi-Track Battling: A rock, a fish, a fairy, and a wish.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 27, 2019

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Did you try importing a MissingNo. there?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Blaze Dragon posted:

Did you try importing a MissingNo. there?

I doubt it. My experience was that MissingNo actually transfers properly into Stadium (it uses a Substitute Doll for a model)

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Man I can feel the frustration coming off that brock fight. Kind of worth the challenge run of this, though, because I don't think Brock is anything but a pushover in normal play. Curious how much easier (or...harder???) Misty will be!

also for some reason i thought fissure ignored accuracy drops, which it doesn't, but then I learned this absolutely insane factoid: in gen 1 fissure doesnt check level it checks speed

bulbapedia posted:

Fissure will not affect a target whose current Speed stat is greater than the user's current Speed stat.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Misty'll be interesting. Your pool of available Pokemon goes up a bunch (Jigglypuff, Zubat, Geodude, Clefairy, Paras, Oddish/Bellsprout, Sandshrew/Ekans, Abra, and Magikarp iirc) but a ton of them are garbage against Misty or TM reliant.

You also get a whole bunch of valuable TMs to ration out.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

rannum posted:

in gen 1 fissure doesnt check level it checks speed
All OHKO moves do this in Generation 1. It leads to some absolutely hilarious situations, especially since it checks current speed, not original speed. A level 32 Ponyta can potentially, by stacking 3 Agility and hitting that 30% hit chance (or using an X-Accuracy), take out a level 100 Mewtwo in one attack.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Route 5: What Pokemon Will Appear Next?

Well, alright. Brock was pretty tough in Stadium, I'm probably going to have a bit of a trial here, t-

I'm kidding, I'm kidding. LOSENGE ends it without breaking a sweat. Our prize for the victory is TM 34, Bide. Bide is... not a good attack. You sit for two turns doing nothing, and then deal double that damage back. If you can stay in for two turns not minding your opponent getting free attacks or set up, why not duke it out with some real moves? And if you can't, why are you using Bide?

This one's going into the PC and probably never coming out.

Onward to Route 3! The legend is here.

As is his less appreciated but no less wonderful friend. He's even got a very respectable Spearow for this stage of the game. I'm not ashamed to admit he's taken me out once or twice, and even ended one of my Nuzlocke runs, back in the day when I did sensible challenge runs and didn't make LPs out of them.

The first and only new Pokemon on Route 3 has a 10% catch rate, but I manage to catch it first try. Which is good, I wouldn't really want to spend a whole lot of time hunting for...

Jigglypuff
Viability: 1/5
Wigglytuff is a strange Pokemon. 140 Base HP sounds absolutely incredible, but it comes at the cost of literally every other stat. Its miserable 45 Defense and 50 Special means those big HP numbers aren't actually going to be lasting very long, and with the added penalty that percentage-based damage, such as from being poisoned, is actually more effective.

It's got a decent list of moves it learns by level-up, including Sing, Body Slam, and Double-Edge, but whatever it is you need it to do, something else probably does it better. Usually, it's something that doesn't require a rare Moon Stone to evolve. And even then, it's got competition just one route away...

So, with foreshadowing out of the way, let's head right on in to...

What's that? Am I forgetting something? Hm, I might be.

Maybe this guy can help jog my memory.

Magikarp
Viability: 5/5
Every time I tried to write a summary of why I like Gyarados so much, it turns into a multi-paragraph rambling. So, here's the incredibly short version. It's available early, has excellent stats, a unique typing, doesn't need TMs, and very quickly pays off the investment on babying it for a while. Keep an eye out for an in-depth analysis of why I love this Pokemon so much very soon.

Onto Mount Moon! This place is annoying to navigate, full of irritating encounters, and several trainers with Pokemon we won't be seeing for a while.

Including this cheating rear end in a top hat with a level 16 Raticate! Bastard made me hike all the way back to the entrance after he murder-cated half my team.

As for the wild Pokemon here...

Zubat
Viability: 2/5
Golbat is not the Pokemon that most desperately needed an evolution in Gen 2, that honor goes to Onix, but oh boy does it appreciate it. If you don't look too hard, Golbat seems like it might be alright. Decent base stats, and access to the ever-annoying Confuse Ray, as well as Haze to clear away stat boosts. However, that's where the benefits end. Golbat's movepool is anemic. No STAB more substantial than Wing Attack (it doesn't even learn Fly until Gen 4!), very few other tricks, and a horrendous list of weaknesses: Psychic, Electric, Rock, and Ice. The only thing keeping this poor bastard out of a flat 1 is the possibility of a gimmick Substitute/Toxic/Double Team/Confuse Ray stall build, but even that requires the valuable Toxic TM, and there are much better users of that.

Paras
Viability: 1/5
Hoo boy, Parasect. Its only damaging move without a TM is the pathetic Leech Life, and its only Grass moves are Mega Drain and Solarbeam, both via TM, rendering its decent 95/80 attacking stats completely null. It has what might just be the worst defensive typing in RBY, with two quadruple weaknesses, as well as weaknesses to Ice and Rock, rendering it completely unable to withstand a solid hit, even from things it's supposed to check. Spore might be able to help with that, except for one little problem: There are no fully evolved Pokemon in RBY with a lower base Speed than Parasect. Sleep is absolutely busted in Gen 1, no doubt about that, but it's not because of a slow, weakness-laden Pokemon with no offensive presence. Hell, there's two better Sleep abusers in this very update. When you manage to be worse than Gen 1 Wigglytuff, you know there's problems.

Geodude
Viability: 3.5/5
Without access to trades, Graveler is forced to stand on its own feet. In the early game, this isn't too much of a problem. It's the only worthwhile Rock type until a certain pain in the rear end the Safari Zone. It's got a respectable 95 Attack, an excellent 115 Defense, resists Normal, is immune to Electric, and learns Self-Destruct, Explosion(!), and Earthquake(!!!) by level-up. Two quadruple weaknesses, a weakness to Ice, and an atrocious Special all severely hinder its ability to wall effectively, but it's far from a bad Pokemon, and I don't at all mind using it until I have to go waste hours of my life throwing rocks in a nature reserve.

(As for how it'd compare if we did have Rhydon... we're a few badges away from that discussion, still.)

Clefairy
Viability: 3/5
The Moon Stone user within Mount Moon itself, Clefable is to Wigglytuff as Fearow is to Pidgeot: superior in every way that matters. Its 95/73/85 defenses make it bulkier, its 70/85 attacking stats make it more threatening, and its 60 Speed edges out WT's 45. It even has access to Sing, as well, if you need some early-game sleep stalling. Uuuunfortunately, being better than Wigglytuff isn't a high bar to cross. It's still slow, mediocre offensively, and extremely dependent on TMs. It's got some pros over the Nidos as a rolefiller (Normal STAB, no Psychic weakness), but also some serious cons (no resistances or immunities, and it's slower). Still, they fill about the same role with about the same effectiveness, so they deserve about the same rating.

Wow, that sure was a lot of talking about Pokemon. Let's break that up with some important item discoveries! Namely, Water Gun (immediately going on Magikarp as soon as she evolves), and Mega Punch, an alright move that will eventually be made obsolete by Strength's higher accuracy, but is still nice to have for the time being. We also find two Moon Stones, giving us access to two of Nidoking, Nidoqueen, and Clefable. I'll be holding off on making that choice until I have to.

And speaking of choices, who's ready for some thread participation! These won't be relevant for a while, and by the time they are, I won't be stuck with one if it doesn't work out, so why not? But a decision should be made as informed as possible, don't you think?

Omanyte
Viability: 4/5
Omastar is an incredibly bulky Pokemon, with downright absurd 70/125/115 defenses, and that 115 Special gives it the second-strongest Hydro Pump in RBY. As a bulky Water-type, its claims to fame are its high defense and its Normal resistance, allowing it to check powerful offensive threats, as long as they aren't carrying Submission. In exchange, though, it's extremely slow, and doesn't have many viable moves outside of the standard Water/Ice pair. It is, in short, the pokemon Blastoise wishes it was.

Kabuto
Viability: 3/5
Kabutops is less generically useful than Omastar, but it is also much more unique. Access to Swords Dance, 115 Attack, and 80 Speed make it an excellent physical sweeper, crashing through teams that have been softened up by its allies, while its high Defense and Normal resistance keep most physical attackers and walls from making a dent. And as for other Rocks, Kabutops also has Surf, allowing it to flatten Golem and Rhydon without any fear or risk of reprisal. So, why is it not rated higher? Two reasons. First, while 80 is fast, it's not unbeatably fast, and there are several key Pokemon that can bring it down, especially if they're carrying Thunderbolt or, God help you, Thunder. Second, Kabutops is in direct competition for its exact role with Kingler, who has an even higher Attack, and the high-crit Crabhammer (though it is slower and lacks a Normal resistance.)

TL;DR: Omastar bulky, probably slightly better, but is also just another member in the ever-growing pile of bulky Water-types. Kabutops is more unique, fast, and hits hard, but may be outdone by Kingler, depending on what you need.

So, goons, what say you? Poll closed!

Next Time on Multi-Track Battling: Even more contentious viability rankings!

Complete Available Roster
5.0:
4.0:
3.5:
3.0:
2.5:
2.0:
1.0:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 27, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

If you could get a Golem would your opinion about Geodude change?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

If you could get a Golem would your opinion about Geodude change?
I'm planning on doing a full Rhydon vs Golem discussion mini-update once I've said my thoughts on both of them individually.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Voting for Kabuto

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Kabuto, because uniqueness.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

There's a link imbedded in the last update for voting, by the way.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I voted for the Dome Fossil because the Helix Fossil is a dead meme.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

About Parasect...

PMush Perfect posted:

It has what might just be the worst defensive typing in RBY, with two quadruple weaknesses, as well as weaknesses to Ice and Rock, rendering it completely unable to withstand a solid hit, even from things it's supposed to check.

It actually has three 4x weaknesses in RBY, thanks to one of the weirder type chart quirks they later changed. (I don't know for sure if this applies to Stadium as well, but I'm pretty sure it does; I'm not an expert on the mechanical differences between them.) Poison and Bug were weak to each other in gen 1 for some reason, then they changed that in gen 2 to their current relationship.

This means that the unfortunate bug/grass Parasect is also 4x weak to poison. Not that any poison attacks are worth using at this point, so it's probably moot, but still. Three 4x weaknesses. Poor Parasect.

Complete_Cynic
Jan 18, 2013

Explopyro posted:

About Parasect...

It actually has three 4x weaknesses in RBY, thanks to one of the weirder type chart quirks they later changed. (I don't know for sure if this applies to Stadium as well, but I'm pretty sure it does; I'm not an expert on the mechanical differences between them.) Poison and Bug were weak to each other in gen 1 for some reason, then they changed that in gen 2 to their current relationship.

This means that the unfortunate bug/grass Parasect is also 4x weak to poison. Not that any poison attacks are worth using at this point, so it's probably moot, but still. Three 4x weaknesses. Poor Parasect.

This still catches me out in later Gens when I'm playing casually - some part of my brain is dead set on Poison beating Bug.

Probably the same part that conflates Rock/Ground as well as Grass/Poison weaknesses/resistances due to them being paired so often in Gen 1.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
It really was a shame that the best bug type attack was pin missile because if there was a stronger move with better distribution then bug would be a very potent offensive type. It was the most common typing in Gen 1 making up 33/151 of the pokedex. You would expect normal to be the most common type but it comes in 3rd (24/151) behind poison and water (32/151).

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I was going to say hey thats not fair, Clefable is immune to ghost
...Forgetting that Night Shade ignores the type check and Lick is.....Lick.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

It's worth remembering that a number of types didn't actually get an appreciable number of moves until Gen 3 or 4. Ghost is one of those types.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Omnicrom posted:

It's worth remembering that a number of types didn't actually get an appreciable number of moves until Gen 3 or 4. Ghost is one of those types.

Gen II at least gave out Shadow Ball.

Of course both ghost lines were special attackers and Ghost was physical because lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Ghost at least got Shadow Ball in Gen 2. Which you only got 1 TM of, but hey that's still a no-nonsense great move.

In contrast...

dude789 posted:

It really was a shame that the best bug type attack was pin missile because if there was a stronger move with better distribution then bug would be a very potent offensive type. It was the most common typing in Gen 1 making up 33/151 of the pokedex. You would expect normal to be the most common type but it comes in 3rd (24/151) behind poison and water (32/151).

Bug may as well have not been a real type until gen 4. Megahorn was only on one bug type until gen 5 (& still very limited to other pokemon), Signal Beam had very limited distribution, Fury Cutter was not great in most circumstances and Silver Wind was just sad. Gen 4 expanded Signal Beam by a lot and introduced X-Scissor, Bug Buzz & U-Turn and Bug Bite helped for the early/midgame.

It's nice that Fairy type launched with everything it needed except for an early game physical move.