Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How mad are you going to get when I call your favorite Pokemon unviable?
5: I will set the entire cloud ablaze with the heat of my rage!!!
4: I will be quite rankled, and will have no problem telling you as much!
3: I'll be a little upset, and might debate you on it.
2: Disappointed, but I know my faves are bad.
1: I don't know gently caress about poo poo.
View Results

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
I'd love to see a more detailed breakdown on the Gen1 meta, having been far too young at the time to understand competitive play. It'd be neat to finally understand what I would have been far to snotnosed to comprehend at the time anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Wait, Golem dropped to NU? Oof, i remember Golem and Rhydon being interchangeable. Was it due to Body Slam, or Gengar being more prevalent so that Explosion was no longer as strong?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Eeepies posted:

Wait, Golem dropped to NU? Oof, i remember Golem and Rhydon being interchangeable. Was it due to Body Slam, or Gengar being more prevalent so that Explosion was no longer as strong?
Disclaimer, this is mostly first-hand knowledge, with a bit of inference and extrapolation. So, this isn't hard fact, just a best guess by someone who knows the meta reasonably well.

The meta changed quite a lot with the 'Body Slam can't paralyze Normal-types' discovery. Chansey became even more central, since it no longer had to fear switching into a Body Slam. Rhydon can guarantee a 2HKO against Chansey with Earthquake, which Golem can't quite manage, and Rhydon's Substitute having just enough HP to survive a single Seismic Toss is absolutely killer for holding off sets that don't have Ice Beam. So, Golem's tiny niche of "Explosion!" was passed up almost universally in favor of the Pokemon who had a much better match-up against one of the Big Three.

Once it fell into UU, Golem crashed face-first into three problems. First, many of the tier's best Pokemon, like Tentacruel, Vaporeon, Articuno, and Dragonite, (the latter two having even spent stints in OU) completely destroy it. Second, the two main niches of a strong Rock-type in OU, holding off powerful Normal attackers, and walling powerful Electric Pokemon who don't have good coverage, are in much lower demand in UU. And third, Dugtrio exists, is also one of the best Pokemon in the tier, and actually checks Tentacruel and Articuno instead of getting bodied by them. It isn't even the best Rock-type in the tier, because Omastar has comparable physical bulk, much better special bulk, slightly better Speed, is neutral to Water and resists Ice, and has the beautiful combination of Blizzard and STAB Surf or Hydro Pump coming off of a 115 Special.

TL;DR: Rhydon's better vs. Chansey in OU, and UU is extremely inhospitable because of what's good and because Dugtrio and Omastar exist. I can't even guarantee it'll be good in NU; Sandslash is faster, about as bulky, and has Swords Dance and no double-weaknesses. (And basically every Normal-type in NU gets Bubble Beam, Surf, or Blizzard.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 6, 2021

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal

PMush Perfect posted:

Disclaimer, this is mostly first-hand knowledge, with a bit of inference and extrapolation. So, this isn't hard fact, just a best guess by someone who knows the meta reasonably well.

The meta changed quite a lot with the 'Body Slam can't paralyze Normal-types' discovery. Chansey became even more central, since it no longer had to fear switching into a Body Slam. Rhydon can guarantee a 2HKO against Chansey with Earthquake, which Golem can't quite manage, and Rhydon's Substitute having just enough HP to survive a single Seismic Toss is absolutely killer for holding off sets that don't have Ice Beam. So, Golem's tiny niche of "Explosion!" was passed up almost universally in favor of the Pokemon who had a much better match-up against one of the Big Three.

Once it fell into UU, Golem crashed face-first into three problems. First, many of the tier's best Pokemon, like Tentacruel, Vaporeon, Articuno, and Dragonite, (the latter two having even spent stints in OU) completely destroy it. Second, the two main niches of a strong Rock-type in OU, holding off powerful Normal attackers, and walling powerful Electric Pokemon who don't have good coverage, are in much lower demand in UU. And third, Dugtrio exists, is also one of the best Pokemon in the tier, and actually checks Tentacruel and Articuno instead of getting bodied by them. It isn't even the best Rock-type in the tier, because Omastar has comparable physical bulk, much better special bulk, slightly better Speed, is neutral to Water and resists Ice, and has the beautiful combination of Blizzard and STAB Surf or Hydro Pump coming off of a 115 Special.

TL;DR: Rhydon's better vs. Chansey in OU, and UU is extremely inhospitable because of what's good and because Dugtrio and Omastar exist. I can't even guarantee it'll be good in NU; Sandslash is faster, about as bulky, and has Swords Dance and no double-weaknesses. (And basically every Normal-type in NU gets Bubble Beam, Surf, or Blizzard.)

it is interesting, I'm playing stadium using alot of competitive builds and def golem is nice and that clutch explosion is good. But it really does struggle because of the dual weakness and lower special. Rhydon having stronger attack and somewhat more special does help it rather then golems stronger defense. Substitute is def a good thing to have and is more of a clutch in some aspects then explosions it feels.

Its odd to think dugtrio can counter articuno but it makes sense since dugtrio is so much a fast glass cannon that can launch rockslide which hits x4 on articuno. Omastar is def a very good water type, has one of the higher specials in the water type only just under tentacruel at 120. It being slower makes it more of a risk but its got a fair bit of bulk, def able to fire off strong blizzards and surfs that hit hard enough to knock most things for a loop.

Also goddamn tauros is fun as hell in stadium as an absolute beast. It is fun to use pokemon that use moves brought from gen 2 or breeding that are absolute monsters to have. Exxagutor with razor leaf is a nice monster compared to the lovely megadrain gen 1 has. Using machamp is also interesting, its definitely a monster with its massive attack but the prevalence of psychics and so few things fighting is good against make it hard to justify on a team it feels. It can OHKO seychan of course in prime cup but that largely is all I feel I could find a use for.

Gen 2 is even more fun if you give pokemon some of the moves they would learn in the remakes like extreme speed to suicune, one of the best pokemon with the ability to clutch through a just win by slamming in with extreme speed is nice. Going through stadium 2 and the changes it brought to the entirety of competitive and everything is interesting. Def wish we had something similar in gen 4 when the move split happened and changed the dynamics of the whole game.

UCS Hellmaker fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 6, 2021

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Wait, how long did it take for people to figure out that Body Slam can't paralyze normal types?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Wait, how long did it take for people to figure out that Body Slam can't paralyze normal types?

End of 2014, according to a quick google.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Nobody plays competitive on actual cartridges, which is why it took so long.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

BisbyWorl posted:

End of 2014, according to a quick google.
Oh God, six years ago. I’m old.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Nobody plays competitive on actual cartridges, which is why it took so long.
Right. The people who made the simulators didn’t know that, so the effect could still be applied. It was only once dataminers found proof that no, actually, it doesn’t work that way, that simulators were changed to reflect the truth.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

PMush Perfect posted:

Oh God, six years ago. I’m old.

Right. The people who made the simulators didn’t know that, so the effect could still be applied. It was only once dataminers found proof that no, actually, it doesn’t work that way, that simulators were changed to reflect the truth.

I'm kind of surprised it took looking at the code (if I understood data mining correctly) to figure it out, considering that, with how many people like Pokemon so intensely, someone would've thought to try to brute force it earlier

Edit: VV wasn't one of those combinations determined to legitimately work?

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 6, 2021

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Serperoth posted:

I'm kind of surprised it took looking at the code (if I understood data mining correctly) to figure it out, considering that, with how many people like Pokemon so intensely, someone would've thought to try to brute force it earlier

At the same time, generation one Pokémon was home to a lot of rumors and fables and just so stories that I'm sure some people still cherish and believe to this day. How many people held Up and the B-button when throwing a poke ball? How many still do?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Serperoth posted:

It's possible to manipulate the RNG to force a guaranteed capture (for instance, the speedrun does this to force an encounter with a level 4 male Nidoran and capture him on the first throw) but it all comes down to performing the right set of inputs after a hard reset and throwing the pokeball on the right frame. There's no combination of buttons that will always work no matter where in the RNG you are starting from.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Battle Spot 0: An Over-Used Joke

Pokemon Stadium provides a unique format to play Generation 1 Pokemon in, especially with the challenges I've given myself. But this is all PvE, just me and my self-imposed restrictions versus the best AI a video game from 1999 had to offer. What about real battles? What about PVP, with both players uninhibited by silly things like version exclusives and single-use TMs? How is it different? How is it the same? In this new series of side updates, I'll be procrastinating going into the side of RBY we otherwise wouldn't see. This first update is mostly skippable, just me going over some terminology.

So, what is a tier?

Instead of constant, never-ending, unwinnable debates about which Pokemon belong in which tier, the community has accepted a self-solving tiering system: Pokemon Showdown, the closest thing the community has to an official battle simulator, keeps track of usage stats. And rather than try to evaluate by strengths or winrates, Pokemon tiers are measured exclusively by usage percentages. The exact cutoffs vary by generation and are fairly arbitrary, but the effect is the same. Pokemon are ranked vox populi, with the logic that if a Pokemon is good, people will use it more, and if not, they'll use it less. It's far from a perfect system and sometimes Pokemon have to be banned from certain tiers, but it's the best one that's been found so far.

In Generation 1, the tiers are as follows:

Ubers: The format with Mewtwo and Mew. You know that scene in an action movie where two people are in a brawl, but are both holding pistols and trying to shoot the other guy and avoid getting shot in return? That's Gen 1 Ubers.
Mewtwo and Mew are the only Pokemon banned from OU, the rest of the meta just forms around them.

Over Used: OU. Gen 1 competitive is a fairly niche format, as far as these things go, but OU is the most common of them. This is where anything that isn't specifically banned is allowed.
The fifteen most-used Pokemon in this format are considered to be OU tier, with Pokemon from lower tiers making occasional niche appearances.

Under Used: UU. A tier for people who are tired of seeing Tauros over and over and over, or want to play with some of their favorites who have absolutely no chance in OU.
Anything not OU is allowed here. There used to be a banlist for UU, but it was abolished years ago for being too restrictive in a format that mostly self-corrects.

Never Used: NU. While common in later generations with their larger pools, having a third tier in Generation 1 is actually a fairly new development, spurred on by a recent resurgence of interest in Generation 1. (You can speculate about why that is, and many people have, but my personal pet theory is that they're moving over from the dying competitive Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee format.)
Not only are OU Pokemon not allowed here, neither are the sixteen(???) most common UU Pokemon. Due to Amnesia being far too powerful for the tier, both Poliwrath and Golduck have been explicitly banned from NU, and are thus in a 'tier' known as NUBL.

As a note, a Pokemon being lower tier does not necessarily mean it's worse! It might just only fit on fairly niche teams, or ones that specifically need something it does better than the OU standard. (Machamp, for example, might seem like a worse Rhydon as a cleaner because of its weakness to Psychic and lack of STAB on Earthquake/Rockslide, and it is firmly NU because of that. However, it also just barely outspeeds Chansey, and packs a STAB Submission that nearly one-shots it, and cleanly 2HKOs Snorlax.)

Common Terms
Not a full glossary, just ones that come up often enough that I should go over what they mean.

Check/Counter: The difference between a check and a counter is mostly a matter of degrees, but the simplest way to describe it is that a counter is a Pokemon who can switch in on something without fear and threaten to absolutely dunk on it. Rhydon is so popular in no small part because it is the best counter to Zapdos and Jolteon. A check is a similar concept, but tends to have trouble getting in against that Pokemon, or can't be reckless about challenging it. Alakazam checks Rhydon, able to deal huge damage with Psychic, but also takes huge damage from Earthquake or Rock Slide in return, so it can't be reckless about coming in.

Coverage: An attack that allows a Pokemon to attack with more types than just its STABs. Pokemon with good STABs can still be stopped cold if they don't have a coverage move that helps them deal with Pokemon that can take them well. Lapras runs Thunderbolt so it isn't walled by other Water-types (especially Starmie), who resist both Water and Ice.

Lure: A move on a Pokemon that reduces general utility or power of a Pokemon in exchange for improving its match-up against common check or counter. For example, running Earthquake on Snorlax leaves it lacking one of its main moves, but also allows it to easily punch through Gengar, who normally shuts it down hard.

Sweeper/Cleaner: Sweeping is, quite simply, blowing through an unprepared enemy team with fast, damaging attacks, getting KO after KO, and a Pokemon who does this well, like Starmie or Zapdos, is called a sweeper. Cleaning is similar, but rather than having immediate power, a cleaner is slower, bulkier, and generally requires the opponent's team to be softened up first. Like the difference between checks and counters, it's often a matter of degrees, rather than a hard separation.

I was going to go into the kings of OU here, but this post is getting a little long and I want this preliminary info to be mostly skimmable/skippable.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 12, 2021

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Omnicrom posted:

How many people held Up and the B-button when throwing a poke ball? How many still do?

Because it actually works, at least in Gen I

quote:

When a manipulation extends into battle, it's usually to catch the wild Pokémon that has been manipulated to appear. It usually suffices to throw the Poké Ball on the correct frame. The usual procedure is as follows:
* Press A or B to clear the "Wild appeared!" text box. Release both keys when the text box becomes blank.
* (For Red/Blue) Some time after the "Go! !" text (usually during the Pokémon's cry), hold Down + A. This opens the item menu at the first opportunity.
** This makes use of a quirk in the menu UI, where Up + A or Down + A can be handled in the same frame.
** This trick doesn't work in Yellow, because in Yellow the A button has priority. Therefore the player must wait for the cursor to be on "ITEM" before pressing A (a very tight 3 frame window).
** When the menu jingle plays, switch to holding A + B (or A + Up/Left/Right). Assuming Poké Ball is the first item in the inventory, this will throw the ball.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Omnicrom posted:

At the same time, generation one Pokémon was home to a lot of rumors and fables and just so stories that I'm sure some people still cherish and believe to this day. How many people held Up and the B-button when throwing a poke ball? How many still do?

It's down and B you heathen.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Serperoth posted:

It makes sense to me. People generally play gen 1 on cart casually and in a casual run you're not going to pay too much attention to the fact that body slam is never paralyzing normal types; you won't necessarily think twice to never getting the paralysis on those Pokemon. & with all the pokemon you do fight, even if you watched a bunch of streams you probably still wouldn't snap to it since it's just a roll of the dice.

Without a big reason to suspect it there's not a real reason to look into it unless you're specifically already looking for weird rear end interactions to begin with.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I wasn't talking about the actual ins and outs of RMG manipulation, I was talking about the literal playground rumors that if you held Up+B (or something equivalent) when the Pokémon was hit by the pokeball you would get a guaranteed/increased chance of catching it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I will continue doing up+b for as long as I play pokemon.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Omnicrom posted:

I wasn't talking about the actual ins and outs of RMG manipulation, I was talking about the literal playground rumors that if you held Up+B (or something equivalent) when the Pokémon was hit by the pokeball you would get a guaranteed/increased chance of catching it.

And I was providing the basis in reality that gave rise to such rumors. (The same goes for a lot of other rumors. There's no Mew under the truck, but you can get Mew as a wild encounter by engaging in stat manipulating shenanigans.)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

dotchan posted:

you can get Mew as a wild encounter by engaging in stat manipulating shenanigans.
This wasn't discovered until years and years later, though.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

This wasn't discovered until years and years later, though.

Neither was RNG manipulation.. They're just playground rumors with no basis in reality other than confirmation bias.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

My uncle who worked at Nintendo told me how to do frame-perfect RNG manipulation and I told all the kids at school and I was the most popular kid at school for like two weeks then Zoids became cool.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

WrightOfWay posted:

It's possible to manipulate the RNG to force a guaranteed capture (for instance, the speedrun does this to force an encounter with a level 4 male Nidoran and capture him on the first throw) but it all comes down to performing the right set of inputs after a hard reset and throwing the pokeball on the right frame. There's no combination of buttons that will always work no matter where in the RNG you are starting from.
:hmmyes: It's a frame-perfect trick where the exact numbers of frames since you started up the game and anything you did that affects the RNG control it, running off invisible variables. Input affects the catching RNG but not in a way a non-TAS player can take advantage of.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Zereth posted:

:hmmyes: It's a frame-perfect trick where the exact numbers of frames since you started up the game and anything you did that affects the RNG control it, running off invisible variables. Input affects the catching RNG but not in a way a non-TAS player can take advantage of.

You say that, but speedrunners regularly manipulate the catch RNG in certain places. It's not TAS exclusive, it just takes a lot of research to figure out setups that work.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

I love how after years and years of urban legend and myth, that the actual way to get Mew in-game is a super simple glitch that literally anyone can do.

Bit anticlimactic really.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

I love how after years and years of urban legend and myth, that the actual way to get Mew in-game is a super simple glitch that literally anyone can do.

Bit anticlimactic really.
It's simple, but it's also extremely specific, and it sounds like the kind of esoteric requirements and setup that would come from playground rumors. Needing to battle a Pokemon with the exactly right Special stat, especially.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

It's simple, but it's also extremely specific, and it sounds like the kind of esoteric requirements and setup that would come from playground rumors. Needing to battle a Pokemon with the exactly right Special stat, especially.

I still remember the gamefaqs topic where the glitch was first discovered, and it absolutely was initially dismissed as another of those playground rumors until people actually started trying it, and realized "oh poo poo, this is legit"

Though the more detailed knowledge of how it works obviously came later, so the understanding of the special stat being involved wasn't a thing yet.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Trainer Fly is one of the most Uncle At Nintendo-rear end glitches in the entire game besides Missingno. itself, which is why it's the best.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Realized I’d already used that line for an update name, so Route 30 has been renamed!

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

BlazetheInferno posted:

I still remember the gamefaqs topic where the glitch was first discovered, and it absolutely was initially dismissed as another of those playground rumors until people actually started trying it, and realized "oh poo poo, this is legit"

Though the more detailed knowledge of how it works obviously came later, so the understanding of the special stat being involved wasn't a thing yet.

If anyone wants to read that original thread in all it's early 2000's internet glory, here it is.

http://web.archive.org/web/20111125011704/http://gamefaqsarchive.com/index.php?pg=463

And here are some reactions to the discovery.
https://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2153
https://www.math.miami.edu/%7Ejam/azure/forum/buzz/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=001568;p=

fucking love Fiona Apple fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 7, 2021

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

It's funny how many people assume that it must have been programmed in intentionally... They really underestimated how spaghetti the code on gen 1 was...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Battle Spot 1: ROUyalty

There are fifteen Pokemon in Generation 1 competitive that are considered to be top-tier. OU. You could use just about any of them on a team and, as long as you're at least somewhat strategic about it, you almost certainly won't be handicapping yourself. However, among those fifteen, there are three Pokemon that are effectively mandatory: Chansey, Snorlax, and Tauros. They are, unquestionably and without a doubt, the strongest RBY Pokemon who haven't been banned, and any team without all three of them is going to be at a massive disadvantage. There is even a case to be made that your goal with choosing your other three Pokemon should be a strategy to deal with your opponent's Big Three.

First, before we go over each of them individually, let's talk about what they all have in common, which will save me some repeating myself later.

1. Normal types have effectively no weaknesses.
It's no secret that the Psychic type is stupidly good in RBY. With Psychic's only weaknesses being basically useless, the absolute dominance of the Special stat, the move Psychic being both highly damaging and having an equally powerful secondary effect, and the abundance of good 'mons to choose from, you'll rarely find an OU competitive team that doesn't have at least one powerful and dangerous Psychic-type. This creates an extremely difficult environment for any Pokemon weak to Psychic, namely Poison and Fighting. There are very few good Fighting-type Pokemon in RBY, and even fewer good Fighting-type moves. Add that on top of all of them having middling speed and mediocre to terrible Special bulk, and you get a type that has almost no chance in OU. This is a very good thing for Normal-types, as it means that the only Type that's supposed to beat them is a rare pick, at best.

In short, Psychic good, which makes Fighting bad, which makes Normal better.

2. Body Slam!
Body Slam is the best Normal-type attack in the game with the possible exception of Hyper Beam. (More on that when we talk about Tauros.) Not only does it have a solid 85 Base Power and 100% accuracy, it has a 30% chance to inflict paralysis, which is an incredibly powerful status ailment in RBY (and also in general, but especially in RBY.) Not only do Normal-type Pokemon get STAB on the attack, because of a quirk with how the game decides whether to roll for secondary status, Normal-types simply cannot be paralyzed by Body Slam, ever, and they are the only type that can't be paralyzed by Body Slam. This means that not only do they not have to fear paralysis in a slugging match, but they can also switch in on a predicted Body Slam and not have to worry about getting halted in their tracks.

Body Slam is an excellent Normal-type move, and the best solution to it is usually another Normal-type.

3. Excellent Coverage vs. Rhydon and Gengar
Sure, Normals don't have to worry about Fighting-types, but their attacks still get resisted by Rock-types, right? Yes they do. Rhydon is the Rock-type of choice in OU, and it has great physical bulk, which means it doesn't really even fear a super effective Submission. However, Rhydon's Special bulk is much less impressive, and it's weak to Ice because it's also Ground-type. All of the Big Three can learn Ice Beam and/or Blizzard, which they can use to 2HKO Rhydon. The only other Pokemon to not fear Body Slam, Gengar, is also half Poison-type, which means it's also weak to Earthquake. Guess who can learn Earthquake? Surprise, it's Snorlax and Tauros! Chansey can't, and has a terrible Attack, but it rarely has a reason to stay in on Gengar anyways.

So Rhydon gets 2HKO'd by Ice Beam and Blizzard, which all three learn, and Gengar gets 2HKO'd by Earthquake, which both Snorlax and Tauros learn.

TL;DR: Fighting bad, Normal good, Body Slam good, coverage good.

So, we got all that? Great. Onto the Pokemon themselves!

Snorlax
Common Sets
Reflect Tank - Body Slam, Reflect, Rest, Ice Beam
Physical Attacker - Body Slam, Hyper Beam, Self-Destruct, Earthquake
Mixed Attacker - Body Slam, Blizzard, Amnesia, Rest

We've already seen time and time again how solid THE BOY is. Absurd HP (160), extremely high Attack (110), and the bulk to sit and heal up with Rest. It is, in fact, the only Pokemon that be called a true Tauros check without needing an asterisk. Snorlax isn't quite as immovable as Chansey is on the special side, but it is an incredibly potent offensive threat, and can either use Reflect to boost its Defense to an effective Base 130 and become an unbreakable physical wall, or Amnesia to boost its Special to an effective Base 130, thus boosting both its bulk and its abilities as a mixed attacker. Ice Beam is only able to 3HKO a full-health Rhydon instead of Blizzard's 2HKO, but the higher PP also allows for a tactic called 'freeze fishing', where you repeatedly use Ice Beam on a bulky target (typically Chansey, Snorlax, or Starmie) until you nail the 10% freeze chance, effectively an OHKO. Meanwhile Snorlax's Self-Destruct is the single most damaging attack in RBY, getting KOs or near-KOs on the entire metagame aside from Gengar, Rhydon, the rare Golem, and other bulky Reflect users.

Snorlax is neither as powerful as Tauros nor as immovable as Chansey, but it sits in a very respectable middle between them, a reliable, tanky beater game in and game out. Also, it's the best and arguably only real Tauros check.

Chansey
Common Sets
Reflect Wall - Reflect, Seismic Toss, Soft-Boiled, Thunder Wave
BoltBeam - Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Soft-Boiled, Thunder Wave
Singer/Gotcha - Sing, Ice Beam, Soft-Boiled, Counter

Play enough Pokemon, and it's inevitable that sooner or later, you'll learn just how bulky Chansey can be. However, unlike in later generations, where Chansey merely has an enormous Special Defense of 105, in Generation 1, that is her entire Special stat, giving her the potential for real offensive presence. Soft-Boiled, Chansey's signature move, provides 50% health restore on demand, and is the only mandatory move on a Pokemon that can freely mix and match between many different options. With Reflect up, Chansey is basically indestructible on both sides of the spectrum without a critical hit. Seismic Toss and Ice Beam are both common attacks, checking or shutting down different Pokemon, with the former guaranteeing it can at least damage almost anything, while the latter allows for freeze fishing, a la Snorlax. Thunder Wave, another common choice, provides 100% accuracy paralysis that affects everything except Rhydon, even Jolteon and Zapdos. Thunderbolt hits Starmie, who otherwise fears nothing but Thunder Wave. Sing can be used for some risky surprise sleep, and even Counter is viable as a cheeky Yu-Gi-Oh trap card to one-shot a Snorlax hitting it with Body Slam.

Chansey has a lot of options and they're all about just what flavor of 'impossible to kill' you want it to be, while also having several choices for attack and utility moves.

Fun trivia note, Chansey is one of the few Pokemon who can actually appreciate getting paralyzed, depending on the situation. Downside, it makes Chansey slower than Rhydon, Snorlax, and Slowbro, which can be a problem, as can getting fully paralyzed on what should be a Soft-Boiled turn. However, on the upside, a paralyzed Chansey doesn't need to be afraid of being put to sleep or frozen, which can be extremely useful when trying to wall something that's already faster than it anyways.

Tauros
Common Sets
The Bull - Body Slam, Hyper Beam, Blizzard, Earthquake
Anti-Bull Bull - Body Slam, Hyper Beam, Blizzard, Fire Blast
gently caress Cloyster In Particular - Body Slam, Hyper Beam, Blizzard, Thunderbolt

As you might be able to tell from the sample sets being nearly identical, Tauros has a very well-established niche in Gen 1 Pokemon. It's the Pokemon that almost nothing wants to switch into and that can cleave through entire weakened teams singlehandedly. 100 Base Attack is nearly as strong as Snorlax, while its 110 Base Speed outruns the vast majority of the metagame, as well as giving it a formidable 21% critical hit rate. The list of Pokemon who can survive the combination of a STAB Body Slam followed by a STAB Hyper Beam can be counted on one hand, and all of them except Snorlax are either destroyed by a coverage move, or need to have Reflect up (and thus already be in play) and hope you don't hit that 1-in-5 chance of just simply demolishing them. This is in no small part because of a bug in the Gen 1 cartridge games that was not carried over into Pokemon Stadium: If Hyper Beam KOs the opponent's Pokemon, the recharge turn will be skipped. Thus, rather than being a gimmicky finishing move, Hyper Beam is a horrendously effective and powerful STAB attack.

The other two moves are pure and extremely effective coverage. Blizzard is the standard third, cleanly 2HKOing Rhydon and Golem, who otherwise stop it cold. The usual fourth move is Earthquake, which 2HKOs Gengar, but Fire Blast's 30% burn chance can be used to lure and neuter the opponent's Tauros. Thunderbolt is only really useful for the otherwise effective check Cloyster, but for some teams, that might be worth it. This is an important choice to make as, while Tauros is an offensive juggernaut, its defenses are actually quite average, and getting paralyzed or burned shuts it down almost completely.

Tauros is the King of OU, a Pokemon with no sure counters and very few checks, and the win condition of many, many battles.

So, there you have it. The immovable object, the unstoppable force, and the... other immovable object, which can also be an unstoppable force.

I'm very tired.

Next Battle Spot: Sleep leads!

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 12, 2021

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

Incredible props to those brave souls who, despite being burned a hundred times by bullshit, managed to keep trying FOR SCIENCE. It really was at a point when gen1 had been extensively researched and it was entirely unreasonable that anything THAT big was still left unfound. If only we could have known just how breakable they are. Now we can start and just go downstairs to the hall of fame with Arbitrary Code Execution.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
If you had access to Mew at Misty, would there be any reason why it's not less than 5/5? Is it even allowed in Stadium?

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Only prime cup, and I think it comes down to the same issues as the others. Mew has a poo poo move pool and largely needs access to tms to be it's best. Otherwise it has access to pound, transform, megapunch, metronome, and psychic at 40.

Mews move pool without tms is bare as hell.

FlamingRok
Jan 14, 2013

The ultimate power is clearly roses.
Mew is allowed in Gym Leader Castle and Prime Cup. Mew has incredible stats, but in Gen 1 its levelup pool is actually not great. I guess transforming into Starmie would be great though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Only prime cup, and I think it comes down to the same issues as the others. Mew has a poo poo move pool and largely needs access to tms to be it's best. Otherwise it has access to pound, transform, megapunch, metronome, and psychic at 40.

IIRC that was supposed to be Mew's gimmick. It had a pretty bad native move pool but could learn every single TM in the game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Is there any day better than the one when you come up with a way to make what would otherwise be a cracker-dry update vaguely interesting?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

UCS Hellmaker posted:

doesn't matter; had psychic

Honestly, the fun part of the question is "what percentage of pokemon are worse than 600 BST and Psychic and nothing else" (under PMush's TM limitations) - sure, it won't push out most of the usable ones, but STAB psychic off a 100 special 100 speed is gonna do some work.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

doesn't matter; had psychic

Honestly, the fun part of the question is "what percentage of pokemon are worse than 600 BST and Psychic and nothing else" (under PMush's TM limitations) - sure, it won't push out most of the usable ones, but STAB psychic off a 100 special 100 speed is gonna do some work.
Probably a 4.5. It’d probably end up being slightly outclassed by whatever I decided to spend the Psychic TM on unless I also used TMs on Mew (and using Soft-Boiled on Mew makes Chansey much worse), but it’s still the best way to just infinitely spam Psychic without TMs, and a very good back-up Psychic-type in general. 4.5 is my usual rating for “only has one trick but it’s a really, REALLY good trick” and I think that fits.

Realistically, though, I wouldn’t use it for the same reason I didn’t use Kadabra. It’d just make for a lot of very boring updates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

So, new username!

Also I got distracted from working on this LP by starting a new Shield run. Oops.