Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’ve got a strange (to me at least) question. Does anyone else have issues not with eating but with the digesting side of food. I see literature and studies on it but it looks like a minefield.

Haven't really figured out what exactly causes it, but as far as I can tell high temperature + stress + very oily stuff/very sugary stuff/some spicy stuff maybe? can sometimes cause stomach issues with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I’ve been in and out of dozens of physiological events (illness, surgery, hormone flux, etc.) that have affected my digestion. Anecdotally/personally, my mood is heavily affected by the state of my entire digestive process—and not just in the conscious and anxious way. I’ll go a few days feeling unhinged for “no reason,” then only after develop visible symptoms of a virus. This isn’t to discount the fact that high stress absolutely destroys my intestines, too. It sucks! Probiotics haven’t helped, but muscle relaxants and NSAIDs do (for me, not recommended for everyone for good reason).

95% of the body’s serotonin is produced in the intestine, according to a source cited by the NIH. IANAD and never will be, but my dad and I both dealt digestive issues of varying types. We were also the most neurodivergent and chronically depressed people in the family.

In conclusion: I totally do, and it seems a lot of other autistic people do, too. I’ve tested for allergies but it seems it’s just me being weirdly built. Like Kalsco said:

Kalsco posted:

Gastrointestinal issues are pretty common (relative) for ND folks. Indigestion, irritation, etc. Also immunological stuff too. I get both!!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
It's something I doubt we'll understand for some decades yet, but I'm fascinated by the neurodivergence-gut issues correlation and interested to see what ultimately explains it. It's been well known enough that grifters have been trying to convince autism moms that the correct enemas would cure their kids' autism for decades. I sincerely doubt there's anything like as direct a causative link as that, and it's not even clear that causation would run in that direction, but there is something there.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Quorum posted:

It's been well known enough that grifters have been trying to convince autism moms that the correct enemas would cure their kids' autism for decades.

Here’s it mostly non processed no additives no added sugar with that crowd. They’re big into smoothies. A good 3/4 are also autistic themselves.

We just cook from home nearly all from scratch.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Apocryphally, it was mentioned on the BBC drama series The A Word that kids with autism can experience drastic changes in behaviour when ill.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’ve got a strange (to me at least) question. Does anyone else have issues not with eating but with the digesting side of food. I see literature and studies on it but it looks like a minefield.

Yes, from what I've picked up in casual reading and research, GI issues and autism frequently go hand in hand. Me and my brother (also autistic) are both lactose intolerant and have various issues digesting food. My girlfriend (also autistic) has IBS. It makes sense when you think of other issues associated with autism, like 'pickiness', arfid, difficulties with food texture and smells, etc. Prior to finding out I was autistic I would have said I have no issues with food, then I realized it's not really normal to always experience a degree of disgust while eating, or to eat the same thing over and over again for years, or require things to be made exactly the same way every time, or have strict rules about what is the right way and the wrong way to prepare something and eat it, etc.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Bar Ran Dun posted:

yep. I have IBS and chronic infectious colitis. I also have a fun case of GERD that comes and goes as it pleases. My GI doc has said none of it is like, this definitive condition we can treat with X, but rather the "you got some gut issues my friend, so be easy on your innards"

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

The Doctor posted:

...have strict rules about what is the right way and the wrong way to prepare something and eat it, etc.

When I was young I used to eat my cereal making sure that any on the sides was brought down and mixed into the milk. My brother ate from one side to the other and let the milk pool at the bottom with a pile of dry cereal on the side.

Used to drive me insane.

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

If autism is a superpower, the mana cost is way too fuckin high sometimes.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Organic Lube User posted:

Almost a perma-debuff for mana exhaustion. That spell of sociability is quite draining.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

no relationship is better than one that hurts?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Organic Lube User posted:

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Told my ex about the possible autism, and I discovered that they always assumed I was autistic and never said anything in the seven years we had been dating and living together :allears:

Injera
Jul 4, 2005

Hi, thread. I've finally caught up on all the posts as I'd bookmarked it out of curiosity back when I had a therapist for cptsd ask me if I'd been tested for autism ever and when I thought about it, I was like "huh, that lines up really well with so many things..."

I'm going to do my best to let free in here as posts a few pages ago were doing, I'll still have rewritten it 20 times at least. [edit: still rewriting, obviously the extra space after the gif at the bottom is just plain unacceptable in a highbrow posting environment like this :v: do I preview another 4 times?? :justpost: they say...]

Trying to sort out what is from cptsd I was finding that it really didn't explain some things, especially from young childhood and I was spiraling and obsessing, replaying incidents back, wondering about my sanity. Once I looked into autism I Felt something, and feelings are incredibly difficult for me to process, I have to reach out and touch it and figure out, will it burn me? Will it be ok? Will it lead to hope and then crush me because I hoped for a nice thing?

When I went to my doctor to ask for a referral, he asked me why I thought I needed one, at that point I was able to drop the mask after years of therapy, he couldn't agree more that I was likely an incredibly strong candidate for the referral and he really hoped I could get support for it. I'm past the first round with the referral now but still waiting, but I'm 100% sure regardless, and I'm trying to not obsess about imposter syndrome of oh what if I get rejected for the diagnosis, am I really that hosed up? Because I'm tired, so very very tired of how much energy everything is trying to figure myself out, dealing with a ton of autoimmune disorders and the lengthy processes and misdiagnoses (wrong type of diabetes for a decade, whoops I guess you really did need that insulin) down the path to get here.

But I am here! :unsmith: :cheersbird: At 36, and it feels a hell of a lot more manageable, bit by bit as I'm trying to figure out who I am, where my boundaries are, recognizing burnout before it tanks my life a second time. I'm only really comfortable posting this because as brought up multiple times in the thread, holy poo poo, there's more people that go through the same things in some ways, I'm not alone in so many of these things. So thanks to everyone who stepped out of their comfort zones to say that, it's incredibly appreciated and I'm (actually slightly [that's a big deal for me]) hopeful for the future. :yeeclaw:

Agreed also with text being so much better than in person for communication, there is so much less confusion when you're able to add emojis or :lol: . Which reminds me, a thing I found myself doing in person as for some strange reason people don't quite know what the deal is with my tone sometimes, if I'm asking a question and I'm not seeing that the person is reacting/thinking of what I'm asking as I'm saying it, I end the sentence with "question mark?" with an increasingly changed tone. Or "period." with a totally flat tone. ND people seem to appreciate it, NT people seem to have a sensible chuckle and I've been praised for how precise and unambiguously worded I am at times. :v:

Also, bug facts rock, my world was blown away by the leafcutter ant post, I love it so much, I wrote so much more but deleted it, as I've always had an intense fascination with bugs and animals really, how can anyone not be wowed by how cool and complicated everything is? :lovebird: So many things to learn and have that intense shine of interest, if that's part of who I am, I'll learn to embrace it now that I know that I am indeed somewhat different. I'm not broken or wrong, just different. It'll still be tough some days but solving problems and trying new approaches to things is what gives me dopamine so maybe I can use it for good instead of beating up on myself as I've been doing.

I hope that my weird rambling can help someone out there like some of y'all's did for me. :3: You are worthy of a chance, worthy of kindness even if you don't feel it right now.

Final aside for this novel of a post, the biggest thing for me has been starting to talk about mental health has led to me starting a few more friendships with people who also are wrangling with their own known or unknown mental health. It's led to being able to be myself and let the mask drop just a little around some people as it's all just acting and decorum and if we don't have the same social norms, that's totally okay if everyone is happy. I would have never had the chance to see friendships quite like this if I hadn't seen other people sharing their experiences over time.

There's a lot of posters I recognize in this thread from my lurking around various interesting threads. :ninja:

Now I can start reading the other autism thread as I've completed this one, can't start reading a new thread when I'm not finished reading the previous one!

So in conclusion:

Injera fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 21, 2024

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

Injera posted:

Trying to sort out what is from cptsd I was finding that it really didn't explain some things, especially from young childhood and I was spiraling and obsessing, replaying incidents back, wondering about my sanity. Once I looked into autism I Felt something, and feelings are incredibly difficult for me to process, I have to reach out and touch it and figure out, will it burn me? Will it be ok? Will it lead to hope and then crush me because I hoped for a nice thing?

When I went to my doctor to ask for a referral, he asked me why I thought I needed one, at that point I was able to drop the mask after years of therapy, he couldn't agree more that I was likely an incredibly strong candidate for the referral and he really hoped I could get support for it. I'm past the first round with the referral now but still waiting, but I'm 100% sure regardless, and I'm trying to not obsess about imposter syndrome of oh what if I get rejected for the diagnosis, am I really that hosed up? Because I'm tired, so very very tired of how much energy everything is trying to figure myself out, dealing with a ton of autoimmune disorders and the lengthy processes and misdiagnoses (wrong type of diabetes for a decade, whoops I guess you really did need that insulin) down the path to get here.

Yeah, the childhood stuff was most tell-tale for me. I also spent many years just assuming that I was dealing with the aftermath of trauma, but the behavioural issues from basically infancy did not line up with that, since things didn't really go fully sideways for my family until I was about 10 or so. I also considered the possibility that I may have experienced some kind of brain damage or other neurological impairment in utero and/or as an infant from my mother's alcohol use and smoking. I did have one therapist suggest that I may have a TBI (and I still might tbh...who knows), but none of it ever seemed to account for the whole picture.

It took a lot of reading, seeing different therapists and not getting anywhere, and finally the greater exposure to autistic content online and my siblings' coming to terms with their autism for me to realize I was in the same boat.

Not to alarm you, but it is still possible that you may not receive a diagnosis. I know there are places where things are a little more progressive, but at least in my part of the world we are still assessing adults with diagnostic tools intended for children. Most people, including most doctors and therapists here, have a very limited understanding of what autism actually is and how it looks for different people. Just be aware that non-diagnosis doesn't mean you aren't autistic.

Injera
Jul 4, 2005

I'm sorry you've also gone through that, it is really frustrating to untangle!

And thanks for the warning, I'm (mostly!) ok even if they don't diagnose it as I don't think there's tooooo much they can do to help anyway, as it's all stuff I've got to deal with in therapy and all that. May not even be worth the effort, as just knowing what the cause is allows me to logic my brain into relaxing and breaking some spirals before they could get worse. It's not a magic fix, but it definitely makes life a little easier to manage and for that I'm thankful. :buddy:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Injera posted:

I'm sorry you've also gone through that, it is really frustrating to untangle!

And thanks for the warning, I'm (mostly!) ok even if they don't diagnose it as I don't think there's tooooo much they can do to help anyway, as it's all stuff I've got to deal with in therapy and all that. May not even be worth the effort, as just knowing what the cause is allows me to logic my brain into relaxing and breaking some spirals before they could get worse. It's not a magic fix, but it definitely makes life a little easier to manage and for that I'm thankful. :buddy:

This has been my experience too. Knowing why my brain is misbehaving makes it way easier to manage myself.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Little off topic but I don't want to necro an old and what seems to be dying thread but is there another ADHD thread than the one here that everyone went to?

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

Little off topic but I don't want to necro an old and what seems to be dying thread but is there another ADHD thread than the one here that everyone went to?

There are ADHD and ASD/Autism threads over in E/N :) Other than that, not sure where else they might exist. 5000 Page Thread in GBS has become an neurodiversity magnet too even tho its a general chat thread

ADHD Thread

ASD/Autism Thread

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

Milo and POTUS posted:

This wasn't necessarily an ADHD thread, but with cross-diagnosis and general neurodivergency, it had a bit. bagmonkey linked in the E/N threads. I think this one still works as a good question thread, while the E/N works as a discussion thread(oddly(just a thought that's not to much do with anything other than noticing) not in the discussion, but fittingly in the E/N, it works).
Without ADHD I can't get a bunch from their thread, but I did buy someone an account to be able to send them there because it seems like a pretty good thread from the pages I read.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

nesamdoom posted:

This wasn't necessarily an ADHD thread, but with cross-diagnosis and general neurodivergency, it had a bit. bagmonkey linked in the E/N threads. I think this one still works as a good question thread, while the E/N works as a discussion thread(oddly(just a thought that's not to much do with anything other than noticing) not in the discussion, but fittingly in the E/N, it works).
Without ADHD I can't get a bunch from their thread, but I did buy someone an account to be able to send them there because it seems like a pretty good thread from the pages I read.

this sums up my feels on the different threads really well. The E/N threads are for those dealing with those issues (including friends, family, S/Os, etc) while this thread serves the purpose of letting people just pop in and ask some questions. I follow this thread just as closely as the two E/N threads because if I can help non-ASD/ADHD people understand us better, that's gonna be a huge win all around

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I suggested the E/N thread mostly because I checked the obvious subforum and didn't find an autism thread, and it occurred to me that there may be other people who were dissuaded having looked in the 'right' place and found no clear, unambiguous 'this is the autism thread' (the joke in the title reflecting that).

It doesn't invalidate the way this one works obviously, but it's nice to have the E/N thread because of the different moderation styles of the two forums.

People linked me to this one because I mentioned autism in another thread and it was the one everyone was using at the time, but I never would have thought to look in A/T.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Well there did used to be an adult adhd thread here but it's not been touched in four months and I figured there'd be a better place to ask if I wanted info

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
The doctor doing my evaluation got really hung up on the fact that I cannot stand small talk in any form and yet I have friends, and I felt insane having to point out that nowadays there's social media and twenty years ago there were blogs, and that's really all you need to keep up with what's going on in your friend's lives without the need for pointless inane chatter and only starting a conversation when you actually have something fun or meaningful to talk about. He looked at me like I was an alien and actually said, "I never thought about it like that." and I am still not sure if I'm on the spectrum, but I sure am feeling crazy right now.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I miss when facebook was people you knew and not suggested shite.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Black Feather posted:

He looked at me like I was an alien and actually said, "I never thought about it like that."

neurotypicals.png

the fact that you could make him do that is the most diagnostic possible thing lmao

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
One time when I explained scripting for events like job interviews to someone, they said it wasn't possible to plan for every eventuality. I said of course it was, job interviews are the most predictable event ever. You walk in, shake hands, sit down, are offered a glass of water, people introduce themselves, someone asks you to sum up your cv, then they ask questions about the perceived weak points in your cv, they talk about the company, about the job benefits and finally ask if you have any questions.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
Just curious if any parents of autistic children have had to get into any fights with their school district, and if so, what should I kind of expect once the situation is resolved?

Im talking nasty, feet dragging, investigations pending, attorneys involved kind of fights.

While the situation is about to come to a close and my son will be attending a different, private school, I will still have to do IEP meetings with the public school, and much to their dismay I will be back with my other son in a few years.

So I know it's a long shot but I just want to be prepared for any kind of retaliation or behaviors from the school district that I might be blindsided by.

Thanks if anyone weighs in. If no one can relate then I totally understand, it would be nice if no one could honestly.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
My kid isn’t autistic but wasn’t being educated under their IEP so I pulled them to a private school (they kept pretty much the same goals for 5 years in public school). They end up autism-adjacent though, all the other kids in their class now are autistic, as are about 80% of their current school.

They still need the IEP for the grant that pays for a chunk of tuition. Some of their good former EC teachers were involved in the process so it was at least timely if not useful. The new school pays no attention to the IEP but my kid can read now and hasn’t been assaulted at school again, so they’re good in my book.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

cinnamon rollout posted:

Just curious if any parents of autistic children have had to get into any fights with their school district, and if so, what should I kind of expect once the situation is resolved?

Im talking nasty, feet dragging, investigations pending, attorneys involved kind of fights.

While the situation is about to come to a close and my son will be attending a different, private school, I will still have to do IEP meetings with the public school, and much to their dismay I will be back with my other son in a few years.

So I know it's a long shot but I just want to be prepared for any kind of retaliation or behaviors from the school district that I might be blindsided by.

Thanks if anyone weighs in. If no one can relate then I totally understand, it would be nice if no one could honestly.

My experience is a bit different. My autistic eldest is in an NPS and graduating in June, but he was disruptive in general ed environments. My youngest gets had ADHD and an IEP, but is in gen ed. So most educators who dealt with both generally found my youngest easier to work with.

However, what I’ve seen for both following adverse interactions (bordering on attorneys for my eldest, and looping in the district for my youngest) has generally been malicious compliance. This could range from taking the most time possible to set up and hold a meeting, to interpreting “teacher’s notes will be made available for use on the test” to mean “if you track down each teacher’s notes for a given test in the Byzantine collection of random CMS pages or classroom management apps, you can print them for your child to use.”

At its best, it can mean “for your ADHD kid, we don’t mind letting him stay enrolled for the last month of the school year during remote learning after you moved out of district, but for your autistic kid, he’s out, and sure you could probably fight it but not in the space of a month, good luck” (Luckily there, our new district’s NPS coordinator was gobsmacked by the old district’s behavior and got it all worked out with the NPS to continue services).

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The earlier one pulls the trigger on your own nuero psych evaluation and consults a lawyer the better. It was a prolonged fight getting a good IEP.

They know the rules parents don’t. The nuero and the lawyer basically give one a blueprint for what to do and say to get what one needs for one’s child. But most people don’t fall into the can afford a nuero and a lawyer but not private school window.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

Blue Moonlight posted:

...malicious compliance...

Thank you, I have an IEP meeting on Monday with the various staff members who have decided to be involved. My wife and I already plan to be fairly specific but we will be extra specific, and I will keep malicious compliance in mind because I am certain the principal is petty enough for it. She certainly hates my wife and I, and the feeling is very mutual.

Edit for anyone who reads this and needs it in the future: We were unable to get the school to do anything except drag their feet, this includes getting an attorney involved, but the school caved the next day after I got other parents involved and started asking if anyone had similar experiences.

cinnamon rollout fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 17, 2024

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My kids don't classify for Autism because they're fairly sociable and the district line is "how does this affect their relationships and socialization" and not, like, "the kid blows up because the teacher ignored them since they didnt raise their hands and no you can't use the materials from Group A to build a bridge even though there's an empty seat there" kind of stuff.

As a result- we've had to be pretty specific in their IEP reassessment meetings. Stuff like providing *Directed* breaks instead of "he was disruptive so we let him play on the slide and now he's melting down because he has to transition back into the classroom" or how physical contact/reassurance is one of his coping mechanisms and yes sometimes he just needs a hug or a high five.

The academic and social goals are good, but I've found you sometimes need to really, really advocate for the little things that they absolutely need for whatever reason.

It sounds like the new school is on top of it, so work to make sure the IEP doesn't take away support-- like "oh he's not biting teachers anymore so he doesn't really need preferential seating/a calm corner/a 2 hour aide/etc"

Also keep an eye out for teachers being kind of inept. Yes I understand his balance ball seat was disruptive because he was bouncing it. No you cannot remove it from the room for *weeks* at a time and not tell us/not enable him a way to regain it. Also no that's not him getting "special treatment" you knob. No he can't just "grow out of it".

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 17, 2024

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
gently caress those teachers. Balance balls are the best and I will happily bop up and down the entire workday (except during meetings with customers).

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Man these are horror stories. We’ve had a diagnosis for my 5-year-old for about six months and his preschool has been great in helping him when he runs into difficulties. He’s confident enough there that he’s a leader that makes up games for everyone else. But our next worry is the transition to public kindergarten and entering the Actual System.

I feel like we should chat with a social worker to learn how to best navigate the system and then get a lawyer on retainer for when we can’t. I’d rather avoid private school if we can, but it sounds like public school is gonna be a high conflict path.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

Well Played Mauer posted:

Man these are horror stories. We’ve had a diagnosis for my 5-year-old for about six months and his preschool has been great in helping him when he runs into difficulties. He’s confident enough there that he’s a leader that makes up games for everyone else. But our next worry is the transition to public kindergarten and entering the Actual System.

I feel like we should chat with a social worker to learn how to best navigate the system and then get a lawyer on retainer for when we can’t. I’d rather avoid private school if we can, but it sounds like public school is gonna be a high conflict path.

If it helps, my son's teacher is very nice, and all the kids in class are wonderful. It's not all doom and gloom.

Our son has very high and specific needs, and that is where the problems start. The school we are at has a chronic problem with trying to fit a square peg into a round hole when it comes to IEPs and solutions to problems, because it is cheaper. Things came to a head for us but I feel like a more experienced administrative team could have easily managed in a way that wouldn't have resulted so much butting of heads.

Our specific beef is with the transportation company and the administration, not the teachers.

cinnamon rollout fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 17, 2024

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

cinnamon rollout posted:

Our specific beef is with the transportation company and the administration, not the teachers.
There's so many moving parts that sometimes, even if your <Case Manager, AP. Instructional Aide, Behavior Provider, X> are awesome, you kind if have to be a pain because something else in the chain is broken. But you also have to see it as advocating for your kids and getting them what they need.

I'd hazard that we are successful in general because we had folks advocate for us in various ways throughout our lives, and this is no different.

We’ve had a diagnosis for my 5-year-old for about six months and his preschool has been great in helping him when he runs into difficulties. He’s confident enough there that he’s a leader that makes up games for everyone else.
I hear you. That's a great trait, but depending on the school they may see that willingness to step up as disqualifying from Autism services (but will probably qualify for other services). First week of Kinder my kid asked for the microphone from teacher and started explaining how trees work (?), he's well liked by a lot of peers and can jump into games pretty fearlessly. He doesn't fit into the "typical" autism profile so his IEP doesn't include that kind of language. Thankfully his case manager gets him and the accommodations kind of lean that way anyway.

quote:

I’d rather avoid private school if we can, but it sounds like public school is gonna be a high conflict path.
Private school can also be a minefield, if they provide ISPs! There's a pretty substantial difference! I've also found that taking an incremental approach, like starting with a 504 Plan and then maybe going to an IEP generally isn't the best. It's better to pare down as their needs stabilize instead of adding, apparently.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

If it helps, my eldest is in a really good placement at an NPS (non-public school, essentially private but paid wholly by the district and focused on special needs) now. He has staff that genuinely cares for him, and he genuinely cares about them as well. We’ve seen significant progress.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Blue Moonlight posted:

If it helps, my eldest is in a really good placement at an NPS (non-public school, essentially private but paid wholly by the district and focused on special needs) now. He has staff that genuinely cares for him, and he genuinely cares about them as well. We’ve seen significant progress.

Same with my kid; autism + IEP qualifies for twice the money as other IEPs in my state though so it’s not fully covered for us.

If your kid has significant behavior issues the right NPS can be much better than a self-contained public classroom. Mine went from ISS every other week (almost always from issues in mainstreamed electives) to maybe one call home the first year at their NPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM killed Masen

I'm kinda curious if it's normal to push poo poo to be worse, or if I'm just the kind of person to make stuff worse and see what happens.