Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Mom told Tween Me that I should not infodump (not in those terms, of course) because it bores people. I wasn't happy, but I took it to heart. I only infodump about stuff if I have reason to believe my conversation partner will be interested in the topic. So then a few years ago I was telling family about a trip I took because I know they're interested in travel, and Mom tells me how nice it is to see me passionate about something. It's so rare for me for me to open up like that and she was so pleased to see it. :ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

mystery bug posted:

"everything I enjoy is stupid and dumb and nobody else likes them and I shouldn't talk about them because everyone will be bored and think I'm an idiot with bad opinions" I tell myself, while actively hanging out with a bunch of people who love the exact same things as me

can we somehow make a paragraph the thread title

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

e.pilot posted:

can we somehow make a paragraph the thread title

:hmmyes:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Pththya-lyi posted:

Mom told Tween Me that I should not infodump (not in those terms, of course) because it bores people. I wasn't happy, but I took it to heart. I only infodump about stuff if I have reason to believe my conversation partner will be interested in the topic. So then a few years ago I was telling family about a trip I took because I know they're interested in travel, and Mom tells me how nice it is to see me passionate about something. It's so rare for me for me to open up like that and she was so pleased to see it. :ironicat:
It's irritating when people love your autism only for as long as it entertains them. I ended up ending a lot of friendships when I realized they only talked to me when they wanted to be entertained and weren't interested in dealing with the rest of my personality.

That said, everybody loves learning Weird Science Facts so sometimes I use a Steam username like "ask me for bug facts" and get a lot of really wholesome conversations where people who might otherwise be toxic are like "can i get a fact about moths" and everyone learns something new :)

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 5, 2023

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

I absolutely love this. :)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I view infodumping in a similar category as hugging. It’s intimate enough that you should get an okay before diving in.

Some people you meet will want it, others won’t. Either way, it’s polite to ask first, at least with new friends where you haven’t established defaults for how you interaction.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

These are really good facts

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

I'm glad you guys enjoy the facts! Please feel free to ask me about bugs. Or visual novels (especially bad ones). Or bad webcomics. Or Fire Emblem. Or Dead By Daylight. These are some of my apparent special interests/hyperfixations.

whydirt posted:

I view infodumping in a similar category as hugging. It’s intimate enough that you should get an okay before diving in.

Some people you meet will want it, others won’t. Either way, it’s polite to ask first, at least with new friends where you haven’t established defaults for how you interaction.
This is a good guideline. It's also really fun when you are friends with someone who you know is autistic, and they know you're autistic, and you perform reciprocal infodumping. Like yes please tell me about your main in Super Smash Bros Ultimate, in return I will tell you about how my favorite character in this terrible video game deserves a better game, let's vibrate together.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Actually there's a bug I really like and I want to infodump specifically about it so I'm gonna make a separate post.

The below picture is of an ant carrying a big piece of leaf. Spoilered for the entomophobic.

So, there's this type of ant in the Americas called the leafcutter ant. It's actually like a bunch of different species by that name, but the thing they have in common is that they cut up big pieces of leaves and grasses and flowers with their mouth, and then carry them back to their colony. And you'd think, like, okay, they're taking them there to eat them or something, right?

But no. They aren't. They can't. Their guts don't have the necessary enzymes to break down plant matter like that so that the nutrients become bioavailable to them.

So! What do they do with this plant matter? Well, they are taking it to THE FUNGUS

You see, in every leafcutter ant colony, there is a fungus. And this is a very special fungus indeed. Different species of leafcutter ant might have different fungi, but in many of them, the fungi are not found anywhere else on earth but these colonies, sort of like how domesticated animals on a farm don't exist in the wild. It's a domesticated fungus! When a new queen ant strikes out on her own, she takes a piece of the fungus with her to start a new colony.

And this isn't some kind of Mushroom Mind Control situation. No, it's mutualistic - it does not harm the ants at all, and relies on them. This fungus digests the leaf matter. The ants then feed bits of fungus to their babies - and the larvae survive entirely on that, meaning the fungus is essential to the colony! Some fungi even produce food for the adults, though adults mostly eat sap.

They also spend a bunch of time grooming the fungus to get rid of rotting plant matter and mold. And the fungi can actually send them chemical signals if they accidentally feed it something poisonous, and they will avoid gathering that plant again.

It's like these tiny bugs have a whole little farm in their colonies. They're teeny tiny farmers :kimchi:

I think everybody should try and infodump at least once here so we can share some of our cool accumulated info.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Wtf I didn't know that!! I thought they ate the leafs!

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

HopperUK posted:

Wtf I didn't know that!! I thought they ate the leafs!
No it's entirely for THE FUNGUS!! It's so loving awesome. I love it. I hit the loving roof when I learned this a month or two ago. I love these lil farmin' ants, mutualism is the absolute best

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tiny Myers posted:

I think everybody should try and infodump at least once here so we can share some of our cool accumulated info.
That was really engagingly written, a book full of a page or so of autistic people's special interests would be incredible.

I think my special interest is probably Destiny lore, I could have a shorthand crack at explaining how the writers are having fun by implying that one of the characters seems to be trying to escape from the game, and by their standard might actually have succeeded.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

I don't know what level of insanity I'd end up with on an info dump so, if I never think of something worth explaining, I have a song that I started working on a couple months ago. I was bored so I told ai to give me some random letters and I played with it on bass until I had kinda something then I tried some positioning until I liked some spot. Figured out I could hit g open and that worked nice for my brain to shift the sound enough. Played it a bunch and was having drinks in the yard writing some words down while playing and it started making it's way from a group of sounds I like to being a thing. Added a bit more to it and then at some point I made some drums to go with it on my computer. Adjusting temp was weird and so was my demand to do things with 4 sections of 7 and 7 of 4. I also don't know anything about music stuff, I just like playing things that sound good to me. So, I'm working on getting another electric guitar to write that part of the song and then I'll redo the drums to be better sometime. I only decided on a, mostly positive, layout for the song. So the version I'll be playing and eventually teach my son will be pretty much as I want it now. It might not be great and I might never think I have it finished. I look forward to eventually hearing it after I do all the other instruments and maybe even vocals if I can ever talk myself into singing when I'm not alone or being recorded. I also don't have a better way to record easily than throwing my phone on the floor by the amp.
A warning, I don't really do stuff for any reason other than I feel like doing it. I felt like sharing something and recorded this then, I guess, felt like explaining my horrible process of making music recreationally. So, don't get your hopes up that it'll be good or exhibit talent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdPI3Xev12k

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

nesamdoom posted:

I also don't know anything about music stuff, I just like playing things that sound good to me.
I would love to play about with composing more, and similarly know absolutely nothing about theory. One of my friends posted this on facebook and a lot of things clicked after watching it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSB3iIkDy7o

... But there's still so much I don't know! I wrote a song back at uni for a lyric writing module we did, but that was back in a dodgy copy of cubase and every time I try to open LMMS or cakewalk (now it's free) I just kind of stare at the screen and don't know where to start.

I miss having a flexible brain.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

That was an interesting watch. Might try to fancy things up when I get an electric again and try making sense out of things.

I get stuck looking at blank screens in LMMS and FLStudio all the time. I still want a pocket operator, but I'd probably get hit by a car trying to think of what to do when walking.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Tiny Myers posted:

No it's entirely for THE FUNGUS!! It's so loving awesome. I love it. I hit the loving roof when I learned this a month or two ago. I love these lil farmin' ants, mutualism is the absolute best

Oh my friend I don't see you in the last few pages of it so forgive me if you know it already but otherwise let me spread the good word about the Ant Thread which exists entirely for infodumping about ants and possibly other hymenoptera. I have learned so many fascinating ant facts from these forums.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I was gonna ask if GAG posted there, but then I clicked through and they're OP. GAG is okay despite being both German and a mod.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tiny Myers posted:

When a new queen ant strikes out on her own, she takes a piece of the fungus with her to start a new colony.

At the risk of getting into territory better served by the ant thread in Ask/Tell, does the new queen carry a bit of the fungus in her mandibles during her entire nuptial flight, or do spores just always come along automatically in her social stomach, or how does that whole thing work?

quote:

:hellyeah:

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

GAG is aze for being German. I'm sitting at something like 800:1 Americans sucking Vs Germans I've talked to.
And the sausage loving ghost in my apartment will contest GAG hooked it up on a spot to eat

Don't mind me

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

I was gonna ask if GAG posted there, but then I clicked through and they're OP. GAG is okay despite being both German and a mod.

:sigh:

And there's not even a German flag I can post. Just the Hitler emoji.

:cheersdoge:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Cloacamazing! posted:

:sigh:

And there's not even a German flag I can post. Just the Hitler emoji.

:cheersdoge:

🇩🇪

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
GAG is a sweetie and drew me a picture of a little snail one time.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Do other people get stressed out by therapy sometimes? Not just the usual(for me) kind of wanting to avoid it, but having to talk about things that just are best avoided.

impossiboobs
Oct 2, 2006

For me, I feel anxious about explaining myself incorrectly since people often misunderstand what I'm saying. I also feel like my problems are mostly the result of my material conditions and the answer is obviously that my issues will go away once those conditions improve. So I know therapy is supposed to help you cope with things, not just fix them, but also if I fix them, then I won't have those issues! No therapy needed!

I have a hard time being vulnerable around people. They leave me alone when I am less emotional.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Any time I'm not in therapy I feel like I really wish I was talking to my therapist so I could work out all these issues

But when I'm in therapy I'm like man I don't want to talk about all these issues they make me feel bad

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Anybody else get unreasonably angry when they have to repeat themselves? I've lost count on how many times I've told my mother that we will be arriving Friday late afternoon or evening for my sister's wedding in the past three months, but yesterday she called again and needed to know when we'd arrive. It's super annoying. And don't even ask me how many times my father has asked us how much money he gave us for our wedding over the past year, it's become a running joke at this point.

It's worst with doctors. They'd ask me a question, look interested, write down some notes, and at the next appointment they'd ask the exact same question again. It feels like they're not actually listening to me, so why ask that question in the first place? And if it's important enough to ask twice, why not listen to me the first time?

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

I think it's more aggravating in a single conversation to have to keep repeating the same thing. But over time ones also do it in a special way. Like my landlord calling me every week to ask about my housing assistance application. I've told him that I put it in and I'm waiting, but I keep getting calls where all I can say is that I'm waiting. I think for me it all is because there is no knew information and it should be assumed that it's the same as the last time.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

With doctors I've found it helpful to bear in mind that they see multiple patients a day - with a full NHS GP schedule that's easily 14 a day, which means they can see around 70 people a week, around 280 a month (probably more like 250 allowing for repeat visitors).

There was a (probably discredited) study years ago that claimed people can only really actively keep track of about 50 people, and beyond that number things start to get fucky and pople fill in the blanks with patterns, i.e. "this is this type of person, I will assume this sort of thing about them."

So probably the reason your doctor doesn't remember is because they can't remember that many people at once. Combine this with how anyone in any job starts to fall into patterns after a while, and it unfortunately sort of makes sense they'd keep asking the same questions every session.

I used to think it was unhelpful and hypochondriac to go in with a big list of symptoms, but in recent years I've had a few doctors say things like medical 'diaries' (just a notebook with where / when / how the symptoms started) and what you think is wrong can actually be useful. Especially with the NHS when it takes a lot longer to organise tests.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

As someone who sees clients in my job: file notes! You don't have to remember people individually when you can look up your file notes. There really isn't an excuse for a professional not to remember what they asked last time.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Cloacamazing! posted:

Anybody else get unreasonably angry when they have to repeat themselves? I've lost count on how many times I've told my mother that we will be arriving Friday late afternoon or evening for my sister's wedding in the past three months, but yesterday she called again and needed to know when we'd arrive. It's super annoying. And don't even ask me how many times my father has asked us how much money he gave us for our wedding over the past year, it's become a running joke at this point.

It's worst with doctors. They'd ask me a question, look interested, write down some notes, and at the next appointment they'd ask the exact same question again. It feels like they're not actually listening to me, so why ask that question in the first place? And if it's important enough to ask twice, why not listen to me the first time?

I get irritated, but it got substantially better once I started calling attention to the repetitions; sometimes they did just need to reask the same questions for reasons of consistency. Others just forgot though, which was tiring; eventually I got to the point where I'd just jump ahead of the script and answer those questions earlier. It wasn't very kind of me, but I figure if they can't respect me to keep basic static information in non-volatile memory then I'll spread the annoyance a little, especially when a little note-taking could easily solve the issue.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
My sister called me yesterday to ask when we're going to arrive. I can't wait until the wedding is over and I don't have to answer that question again until Christmas.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Cloacamazing! posted:

Anybody else get unreasonably angry when they have to repeat themselves?

Yes, directly coinciding when the times when I'm reverting to nonverbal mode, which itself is usually triggered by trauma or major stress

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So recently my older son was diagnosed as having autism. This was a late diagnosis at 10. We’ve basically been asking professionals if he was autistic since he was about a year old and getting told no repeatedly, but only finally paid for a neuropsychologist last March. A big part of this is that he was incredibly verbal incredibly early, like conversational with about a 100 word vocabulary at a year (we wrote down all his words because no one believed us). There were also sleep issues and extremely intense emotions. Meltdowns were related to fine motor skills. He couldn’t do a physical skill (like throwing a plane or a ball, but all the way back even to like crawling) and would meltdown. But always the physical skill would just eventually happen and then no issues with that skill ever again.

Eventually problems began appearing in written work in elementary school. The physical act of writing / spelling and putting up with the convoluted hoops of eureka math were the big problems. We were adamant with the school that something else was different about him. They wanted an IEP without an evaluation under the emotional disturbance category. We picked a fight and insisted on an evaluation. What they found was large differences in his abilities. He was 3-4 standard deviations above in about half of the WISC categories and 1-2 below in about a quarter. We also identified and got an ADHD diagnosis from our primary care provider at this point.

This gap was causing a lot of his emotions. He could verbally answer questions and then not write answers to them. In this period the OT (one we paid got) figured out his grip strength / hand fine motor was extremely low, but with no gross motor issues. Anyway the district didn’t want include any academic goals on his IEP even as they were aware of this gap and writing difficulties. We also asked again about autism and were told no. Our thoughts in the process was that he had ADHD, was g&t, and had a another learning disability (which we thought was dysgraphia.) but they didn’t want to hear any of that and basically ignored us and said no to everything we suggested for the IEP.

Anyway the writing and the spelling continued to not progress and they basically blew off our concerns for nearly a year (likely because they are understaffed). So we pulled the trigger on getting our own neuropsych evaluation. ADHD, autism and dysgraphia were the results. Basically he recommended all the things we had been asking for. We are about to have the getting those things put in the IEP fight.

But anyway this led to basically all my immediate family taking screeners. I pop and my parent (70+) does. Now knowing, it’s incredibly obvious all three generations have the social differences, but without the most visible ones that are the most associated with autism. We make appropriate eye contact, we don’t exhibit “Inconsistently Directed Facial Expression” or have “Hand, Finger, & Other Complex Mannerisms” We don’t have stereotyped word usage. But everything else, oh boy.

I’ve been trying to figure how this happened. Why was this so hard to figure out. For my parent it’s obvious none of this was a thing while they were growing up.

For me… and this is why I am posting this because it may be helpful to somebody else, it was because of the dates when particular changes happened to the DSM.

I screened for G&T and tested into that in 1991. Aspergers isn’t in the DSM until 1994. It leaves entirely in DSM V. G&T programs were catching many of the high functioning autism spectrum folks even after DSM IV. If you are around forty that’s why you might have ended up there. Your parents wouldn’t have known because it wasn’t a thing in their generation.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I screened for G&T and tested into that in 1991. Aspergers isn’t in the DSM until 1994. It leaves entirely in DSM V. G&T programs were catching many of the high functioning autism spectrum folks even after DSM IV. If you are around forty that’s why you might have ended up there.

I'm 29 but this does make sense lol my lovely rural school probably didn't have anyone capable of making any changes regardless.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yeah, it's why the line Sheldon had in BBT about "my parents had me tested" was always a crock of poo poo-- getting tested in Texas in like 1988 would yield nothing considerable except for "he Smart!"

G&T in my school district now specifies a lot of areas that you can be identified for (leadership, performing arts, technical arts, general, etc). So it's at least growing to account for kids that may have a particular strength. Feels a little better than just going "they read a lot oh boy put them in gifted".

There's also the 2E/Twice Exceptional label which applies to students with high potential/skill but may also have a learning disability/ASD/ADHD diagnosis. Since comorbidities and all...

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Yeah, it's why the line Sheldon had in BBT about "my parents had me tested" was always a crock of poo poo-- getting tested in Texas in like 1988 would yield nothing considerable except for "he Smart!"
Oh don't get me started on loving Sheldon.

Autism is a behavioural diagnosis, there's no blood test or brain scan that gives a hard result, even now (mostly I suspect because the data is skewed by the amount of undiagnosed people of older generations who will very passionately insist that they're not autistic, leading a weird cause / effect loop that's a whole other discussion in itself).

So you absolutely cannot have a character who's entire comedy shtick is autism traits, laugh at him for those traits, but then go "ah but you see it's fine because he's not actually autistic, he just has all the behaviours, which is what we're laughing at."

Sheldon as a character is an excuse to let the writers plumb the depths of ableism without having to face the consequences. And having a major network TV show engage in those kinds of justifications has enabled an entire generation of assholes to feel OK mocking those behaviours.

If they end up going the route in Young Sheldon of "he does have autism, it's just that the doctor was a hick / there was a hilarious mixup at his assessment / they didn't know back then," that just makes the way the writers treat him in Big Bang so much worse.

I also get mad at how Raj's 'funny' involuntary mutism is used and the absolutely wild shift in Amy's characterisation over time. Big Bang made me so uncomfortable for so long and it took me ages to pin down exactly why (and getting diagnosed at an older age myself had a lot to do with it), but now it's clicked I just can't watch it.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 11, 2023

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I didn’t mind the first couple of seasons of BBT but yeah once I put two and two together that sheldon was autistic and that was the entirety of the joke, I can’t stand it anymore.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Yeah, my sister once told me she watched it so she and her boyfriend could understand their older siblings, which... did not sit well with me That was before I got diagnosed, so I think she meant the nerd part, but that was bad enough.

Also had a guy once try to convince me that we were totally like Leonard and Penny. He did not seem to understand that this was a bad thing. He also did not understand that Leonard is a creepy rear end in a top hat, so that part probably checked out.

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

Leonard is massive creep poo poo, but like normalized. Years back this song played in the bars about buying a drunk chick drinks so she wouldn't leave so dude could go home with her later and it's massively hosed how that was a hit song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yelling into the sainted abyss because the adult won't understand when I say "plz don't just take something from my kid he'll snap into uncontrollable exasperation and you'll be rear end-deep in tantrum mode for 5 minutes" and I'm met with "well we can't give him special treatment and he'll have to outgrow it".

Let me just shred up this IEP then! Hahaha!

nesamdoom posted:

Leonard is massive creep poo poo, but like normalized. Years back this song played in the bars about buying a drunk chick drinks so she wouldn't leave so dude could go home with her later and it's massively hosed how that was a hit song.
They play it every Winter!