Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

credburn posted:

However, she recently sent me this emoji: This thing makes absolutely no sense to me. Since I am so bad at broad expression interpretation, I have to break down individual features, but this little guy is all kinds of chaotic.
A lot of emojis aren't intuitive if you haven't encountered them before, often because they're trying to represent more complex concepts. However, emojis have names, and you can literally just google the emoji itself to get its name. The name of the emoji in question is "relieved face."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
It has nothing to do with autism, and most autistic people don't consider autism a disability at all

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I mean, he could also be horrified because he doesn't want a random journalist giving him an armchair diagnosis based on a brief meeting and pontificating about it for a whole article. That would be extremely reasonable

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I don't think it's controversial to say that the prevalence, and not just the diagnosis, of allergies has increased, for reasons we don't fully understand. Ymmv but I don't see any reason both couldn't be true for autism.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
There's tons of data. Overview but feel free to google; the fact that it's happening really isn't controversial, the investigation and debate are just about the reasons for the rise.

The increase is definitely not driven by "kid who had an epipen on hand so lived to adulthood." If a kid ate a peanut butter sandwich or got stung by a bee and stopped breathing in 1970, that wouldn't have been a medical mystery to them, it would have been documented -- it just hardly ever happened.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Aug 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
He’s 6. I get the issue if it’s a 13-year-old who’s fully able to cut class and smoke weed behind the school, but how is refusal even an option for a 6-year-old? I would never have gone if my parents just let me say I didn’t wanna.

By all means figure out why he doesn’t like school and how to address it, but unless you find out he’s being horrifically bullied or something, he has to go to school