Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

TIP posted:

Even just direct questions sometimes. :cripes:

I've had someone ask me a question, then while I'm processing they're like "just the fact that you needed to think about it is all the answer I need".

No, it really really isn't. :ughh:

Oh drat this is very familiar. This is second only to the ADHD-related 'If it were really important to you, you would have remembered' thing for bringing up horrid memories.

Hello everyone. The ADHD thread directed me here. I think my brain is strange. I'm gonna read the thread and hush but yeah. Hi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'm asexual but I do experience romantic love. I've been with my boyfriend for a long time now but we're long-distance and though I miss him (especially since loving covid dropped a brick on travel) it works pretty well for us. He's always there to support me, and me him. We're very good friends as well as romantic partners. It's hard to describe though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

There's nothing particularly weird in just finding a fictional character attractive. I mean, they're built to be attractive in some ways, to make you want to watch them, and often played by hot people. It's just that it can go to really weird places if you get too wrapped up in it. A bit like crushing on a real person you don't know very well, I suppose. Like there's a gap between 'oh, cute coffee shop guy, yay, I like to see him' and 'stalker'.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

DiHK posted:

I imagined the two of you holding hands and walking around the apartment building as she slowly looses her paitence.

Once i got a booty call amd she amswered the door in her underwear. Later she had to say "when a girl...."

I have a really hard time doing the things that let people know you love them when youre in a relationship. I grasp the idea of it but some step in the process of knowing a thing and doing an appropriate thing about it just doesn't connect. I'll know about a haircut appointment, i will see and notice the haircut, but it almost always take a head waggle before i remember the part where you say a thing about it.

Is that executive disfucntion?

Purely my own experience here but this is a trap.

Executive dysfunction, from my layperson's understanding, is the inability to plan a task and then execute the steps of it. Like - before I was medicated for ADHD, I would think to myself 'well, I sure do need to get up and use the bathroom' and then just like, not do it. And not really know why. It's like my starter motor wouldn't turn over.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My current favourite 'this character seems to be on the spectrum' is Nandor from What We Do in the Shadows. And Laszlo is ADHD as gently caress. It is very charming to me. I aspire to that level of giving no headspace to things that drag me down.

'Stopped fighting stims' is a big benefit of the ADHD diagnosis and the ASD self-diagnosis for sure. I used to think of it as all 'fidgeting' and something I should try not to do. Now I'm amassing a collection of fidget toys and things I can safely chew on and everything feels a lot easier.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I feel like 'non-binary woman' is closest to how I feel. I definitely am not a man but 'woman' doesn't feel like it's quite me either.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

My ideal would be Gozer from the end of Ghostbusters, maybe without so many bubbles. You can't tell the gender by looking, and also because I want the whole world to kneel before me.

If there was a way to just opt out of gender entirely and just be a they/them androgyne, I could definitely go for that.

I mean I can't say I wouldn't want to look like that, but I *would* want the bubbles. They look great.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Cloacamazing! posted:

This whole being thought of as emotionless really confuses me. I've had people say that I seemed that way my entire life, and unfortunately I tend to believe things people say about me, so I wondered for quite a while if that was what was wrong with me. I eventually came to the conclusion that I did have emotions, through a very complicated thought process that involved creating a story with an emotionless protagonist and deciding, after thinking up his personality and thought process, that this wasn't how I felt.

Yes, I know that's weird. It makes complete sense to me though.

What I don't get is where this autism = emontionless thing even comes from. I guess it's the whole "genius too busy for emotions" thing from pop culture? But that's shown to be a lie in every single case.

It's because some people with autism don't show their emotions in expression and body language in a way that's easily read by neurotypical people. You know how folk say fish don't feel pain just because fish can't *express* pain? It's a bit like that. They can't see the emotion so they don't realise it's there. Not everybody thinks that of course, but that's part of the reason. And being unable to easily read emotions in *other* people, if they don't realise, can come off like you know the emotions are there but just don't care at all. It's a clusterfuck to be honest and there should be better representation and education.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I had a lot of weird food rules (still do tbh but fewer) but not pizza upside down, haha. If I had some candy that was different colours like skittles, I would split them by colour, then carefully eat them in order so the numbers evened out.

I would still very much like for my different foods to not ever touch each other. I've learned to deal with it, but if I *could* enforce that everywhere, I would.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

cinnamon rollout posted:

The food not touching thing he also does sometimes. Also if I move a piece of food on a plate, like for example if I move a chicken nugget from one plate to a different one, he will absolutely move it back before eating it.

Yep yep yep.

Also earlier I could not find the correct fork to go with the knife I was using. What a day.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My parents were actually very cool about my various little weirdnesses. Like to the point of making a separate dinner for me if they were eating something I had a texture-based issue with (never flavour issues, only texture issues).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

cinnamon rollout posted:

We let him eat however he feels most comfortable, but it is good to be reminded how sensitive a topic can be. To assuage any worry I will say I never considered trying to stop him from eating upside down pizza, instead I went out and bought a little portable steam cleaner because he tends to put his pizza down next to the plate instead of on the plate, so it ends up on couches, carpet, beds, etc.

I will eat an upside down slice next time there is pizza here, maybe I will understand the greatness if I have an upside down slice

Please report back, it's possible he has unlocked a secret of the universe here.

e: occurs to me it's less easy to get sauce on your nose eating it his way. hmm

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

tfw you step on a crack in the pavement with one foot and then you can't find one to step on with the other foot

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Cloacamazing! posted:

Do you have a set order for them too? Red always tastes best, so that's last, and I tend to start with the less tasty ones, like blue M&Ms or white gummy bears.

I would have liked to do that, and now I'm an adult if I eat that sort of candy I do that. But as a kid the numbers had to stay even, so I couldn't. It would have been cheating! I had to eat one of each colour in rainbow order and then start again.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

A really good post Bobby, thank you. I've already been over a lot of that process with ADHD and I'm starting to give myself a bit of room with this autism thing too. It takes a while!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't think it's controversial to say that the prevalence, and not just the diagnosis, of allergies has increased, for reasons we don't fully understand. Ymmv but I don't see any reason both couldn't be true for autism.

Is there data on that? I could see more people surviving to adulthood with allergies than before, for certain.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Nolgthorn posted:

. It's also the only explanation I can come up with as to why I get passed over by girls I like for guys that are much less attractive, wealthy, etc. I must just communicate extra caution or extra work.

Be a bit careful thinking this way. People don't select partners in a logical way like that and going too far down that rabbithole ends in unfortunate places.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It's just ritual. "I'm good, you?"

That's it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The meaningless greetings are just ritual behaviour. 'Hello, I am a human and I mean you no harm!' 'Hello, I too mean you no harm! Let us pass on by!' Failing to acknowledge is treating a human the same way you'd treat a streetlight or a trashcan or something; that's why it feels rude.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

How do you guys estimate minimum required greeting range? I hate walking down a corridor, acknowledging someone at a distance, we're both walking towards eachother and that quiet tension of "when do I say hi". Feels like quickdraw at high noon.

This is something allistic people can't figure out either. I usually keep my eyes averted until we're just about to pass each other so I can go 'Hi!' and then we're gone and it doesn't have to become a whole thing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I use various white-noise or atmosphere noises from the mynoise website to fall asleep. Or let my Amazon Echo play thunderstorm sounds. I find that imagining the scene represented by the noises, or pretending I'm in a castle at night or whatever, is interesting enough to occupy my brain but not interesting enough to keep me awake. It also helps with falling *back* to sleep when I wake up in the middle of the night. Train noise still going on, all is well.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My 'doing something vaguely artistically productive but mindless' activities are diamond painting (you stick little plastic sequins onto a sticky background to make an image) and those scratch art things where you follow the lines to scratch off the black and there's colours underneath and you get a picture. Making 'real' art needs too much brainspace sometimes.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I would personally rather no foods touched any other foods until I am deliberately mixing them myself but everyone is different I think.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Bank posted:

Something I've had trouble trying to figure out is when to say "bye" to people. A couple of examples:

Today at work I had a meeting with 3 people. I've never met two in my life and they asked me to go out to lunch but I declined (because I love to eat by myself). As I started making my way out of the area I tried making half eye contact to see if they were expecting me to say bye, but they were in their own world talking about something else so I just walked off.

When I was in college, I was running back to my dorm to get my jacket because I was late for a class. On the way back I saw some flatmates and they started talking to me, but right after the pleasantry exchange I told them I needed to grab my jacket and go back to class, then started walking slightly faster to pass them. I guess they thought it was weird :confused:

Then now that I'm a parent I bring my son to baseball practice and when we leave, I tell him to say bye to everybody which he does, but none of them reciprocate, same with me and the parents. No eye contact and no acknowledgement of "see you next time" or whatever the hell else we are supposed to do/say.

In other situations I am replaying in my head, I am considered weird for not saying bye. What the gently caress am I supposed to do? I hate saying bye because when there is no reciprocation it feels awkward as if I pissed everyone off or they don't care about my presence, but I also don't like being thought of as an rear end in a top hat.

It's rude not to respond when someone says bye to you, so it kinda seems like *they* were or are being a bit unpleasant, at least at baseball practice. This might play into a cultural difference, though. I can't remember a time in the UK I've said 'bye' to somebody and not had them respond, that would be considered a deliberate snub here.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It's totally legit to feel furious and sad and to have a sort of grief response for the life you might have had. But try not to get too caught up in it. You know now! You can change things for yourself now. That's good.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

organburner posted:

I know you shouldn't go around thinking "what if" but it's hard not to. It's like invasive thoughts.

Oh sure and you shouldn't try to push it away completely. You should definitely examine it and feel your feelings. But there comes a point where being soaked in rage and resentment and sadness will just damage you instead of being cathartic and that's the time to try to shake it off, I reckon.

If I'd had ADHD meds maybe I'd have graduated from university successfully and gone further and had money now! Or maybe I would still have hosed up and be miserable in a research position somewhere, or been knocked over by a bus on the way to the post-grad course, or anything, you know?

It's not wrong to feel that way but 'what if' is kind of a useless exercise because you just can't know that anything would be better.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Klaaz posted:

Since about age 12 I forced myself to write in capitals because my handwriting is terrible. Used to be pretty decent at drawing though.

I write in capitals if I want anyone else to read it.

My handwriting is godawful. I had a special holder thing put on a pencil after everyone else had gone over to pens because they decided my grip was the issue, not 'she is trying to write faster than her hand can keep up with'.

I draw well though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

for fucks sake posted:

Not only is my handwriting terrible, I don't even hold a pen the normal way.

My work is moving to this dreadful hotdesk system where you have to book your desk in advance. During the presentation a bunch of people were being Cool Dudes on slack bragging about how they're going to ignore the booking system and keep all the desks near them for just their team.

I wasn't really planning on going back to the office but I'm sure as gently caress not now if I can't even be sure I'll get the desk I booked.

Oh Christ no. That's something you might be able to get an accommodation for if you feel like making the effort.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'm only hesitating because the waiting list here is two years, and the questionnaire my gp sent me when I asked was clearly geared towards very 'traditional' male-typical autism.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jefepato posted:

So I was apparently diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder when I was around 10-12. I remember talking to doctors then, but no one actually told me about my diagnosis until I was in my early 30s and requested my medical records from the hospital for an unrelated(?) situation (I'm also bipolar, although I'm on medication now and it fortunately hasn't been a big deal since).

My mother claims not to understand why I'm upset about this.

Anyway, I never really suspected until I saw it written down, but I guess it wasn't a huge surprise? I was somewhere in college before I developed my social skills to a degree where I didn't seem kind of "weird," although I've never had a problem with eye contact in particular. I've gotten decent enough at handling myself in social settings (which is apparently called "masking"), but I still often can't make sense out of other people's emotional reactions. Life is a lot easier when I can talk to other nerds about nerd stuff. >_>

I pace around a lot. I think that might be part of my stimming, or something?

I'm pretty sure my dad is also on the spectrum, although he wasn't ever diagnosed (I know he had some issues at school when he was young). I've heard him complain about some of the same issues I have, like people not listening to exactly what I say and misinterpreting it.

I guess I'm lucky, though, since I don't really need much support and I can live just fine by myself. I'm an attorney working in document review, which is not a glamorous job but it's something I'm pretty good at.

My handwriting is...not pretty, but legible. I can barely remember how to write in cursive (aside from my own name) despite having practiced it in school, though.

loving hell that must have been a bit of a revelation. Glad you're doing okay!

Being misunderstood constantly is the main thing that makes me suspect I might be on the spectrum. If I had one wish, I would wish that everyone would just give me the benefit of the doubt and not assume I'm saying something with a bunch of hidden meanings that they can get upset about. I don't even know how to do that, goddamn it. I never know what I said to make people suddenly get all upset.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

White Light posted:

drat someone's gotta make a study guide for Aspies or something, really wears you down when you give it your best only to keep getting rolled by a dude who's putting in bare minimum effort, really kills your drive.

EDIT: ⬆️I had an aspie moment in da thread and was trying to help out but I didn't 'read the room' like usual and made a big mistake cause it turns we're not supposed to give tips :(

Aw heck I'm sorry it made you feel bad! Nobody was cross or anything I don't think. Just one of those moments and everyone understood you were well-intentioned!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

organburner posted:

Yeah I'm still slowly working at it because being able to do 2d art would be very nice for my 3d and gamedev hobbies. Gonna see if I can find a copy of that book somewhere.

I've found Drawfee's drawclass videos very useful! they go over how to practise and such in a very understandable way.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

There's really no reason *not* to get assessed if you can access it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

mystes posted:

Sorry for making so many posts and obviously I just need to shut up and go get assessed but I just want to clarify for anyone who had the misfortune of reading my previous post that after thinking about this way too long, I realized I'm a total idiot.

What actually happened when I was in elementary school was basically the total opposite of the completely dumb thing I had been assuming and after talking to her it turns out that my mother, who was a special ed teacher, obviously specifically took me to the psychologist and tried to explain to him that I had sensory issues because she basically thought I was autistic, but since this was the 90s he didn't understand that that could have any significance.

You don't need to apologise for posting about yourself here in the 'what the hell is going on with me anyway' thread :3:

Yeah, autism care and diagnosis is in a poo poo place now but it's been a lot worse. If you'd like more specific advice about how to get an assessment, if you mention roughly where you are - even down to the country or state - someone might be able to give advice. Cool if you're not comfortable putting that out there, though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Reminds me of a lot of kids' cartoons of the 80s where the message (enforced strongly by the networks) was CONFORM. CONFORM TO THE GROUP.

'The complainer is always wrong' is how the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon writers explained it. Like, you can give the message of 'we are all different and should try to get along together and enjoy our differences' without giving the message of 'we are all different and that's bad, everyone be more like The Leader Kid and stop being so peculiar' but cartoons back then could not manage it.

I watched so much of the loving Get-Along Gang.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I have eyeball problems and can recommend wearing an orange eyeshade at night to cut down on intrusive glaring lights.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I find sometimes I can read cues, but allistic people lie when you call them out on things, and as with the classic double empathy problem, I get blamed for rules everyone else seems to know.

The biggest problem for me is usually feeling like "How was what I said any different from what they said five minutes ago?" Usually because there's this ill defined line you shouldn't cross, and everyone else knows where the line is, and it takes me a lot longer to get to know people and work out where their lines are.

God yeah that second part resonates really strongly.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

FirstnameLastname posted:

so when you look at it, your brain finishes the piece by expanding upon that and assigning some kind of meaning to it, even if you don't think it's art at all, its clever

I like all of this

Ceci n'est pas une pipe sorta stuff

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Bank posted:

One thing I'm struggling with right now is with recent layoffs going on. I have some anxiety that can/might happen to me which I assume is "normal" but I don't seem to have much empathy for people that were laid off, nor do I know how to maintain these relationships outside of work.

A couple of examples:

1) Someone I personally didn't really like working with got laid off. They came off to me as a very fake person always cracking jokes and wasting time during meetings. I got along with them fine, but given the choice, I would rather work with just about anybody else. The other day people sent around a card and I almost didn't want to sign it, but when I looked through it, everyone showed a lot of compassion and empathy towards this person. Everyone seemed to really miss them. I didn't understand because they definitely seemed like a lazy unproductive worker to me, and it just wasn't surprising to me. I had to bite my tongue a few times because I almost said bad things about this person.

2) There was someone else I enjoyed working with that got laid off, and I shot them a note to see how they were doing and asked them to keep in touch or if they needed anything. They responded back telling me things were fine (they don't really need the money as their spouse is the breadwinner), and gave me their phone number. Now I'm wondering, what the heck am I supposed to do now? I started a text and was going to tell them "thanks" for sharing their number, then tell them a few changes that happened in my life, but it just seems weird to do that. So then I left the text in draft mode and not really planning on doing anything else with it.

Do people usually just say "stay in touch" share phone numbers, and leave it at that? One of my colleagues has personal numbers of a few people we work with and even follow them on Instagram/Snapchat which I think is weird, but I guess it's normal for them. Another one of my old bosses told me they were talking to another colleague on Sunday night for over an hour. I can't even talk to my best friends on the phone for more than 5-10 minutes.. It just seems weird to me that people keep such strong friendships with people at work. Part of me is jealous they are able to do it, but the other half thinks its strange.

As to point 1 - it is better to be kind than not to be kind. You may never see this person again. But you *might*, and there is no benefit to anyone if you're unkind in their card. Also it's possible the things you don't like about them didn't bother anyone else, and the emotions expressed in the card were genuine. 'lazy and unproductive' in particular don't always have much to do with how well-liked someone is.

Point 2 - yeah, usually people just say 'let's stay in touch!' and share numbers and then don't really do anything about it. That would be normal for colleagues you're not really friends with. It is not weird to be friends with co-workers, but it is not weird *not* to be friends with co-workers. That's different person to person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Yeah, I think you might be right there. Understanding underlying causes is important for managing any state of being. Like, several people could have a headache and be acting the same way - tetchy, irritated, rubbing temples - but one might be dehydrated, one might need new glasses, one might be underslept and the fourth might have a really serious issue, and you can't know that from behaviour.