Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Sup thread. I started ADHD meds last year, noticed some unexpected mental and behavioral side effects and sure enough I'm likely also autistic. I'm self diagnosed but have talked it through with my therapist a fair bit. So far I haven't found a place on my insurance that screens adults. Which really makes it sting when I told my grandmother about this and I found out my elementary school teachers wanted me screened but my mom refused because "I'm too smart to be autistic".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Does anyone remember back in 2009 or 2010 when it seemed like the forums was embracing Asperger's as a self diagnosis? I vaguely remember that and a backlash of "no you're just self diagnosing because you're a weird goon who's looking for an excuse to keep being a weird goon".

I was thinking about that a bit recently and how I somewhat remember identifying with the conversation but also really taking the "stop looking for a magic excuse just bootstraps yourself into being normal" reaction kept me from seriously considering my own neurodivergence for a good decade.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I've had some success in reigning in my problem solving drive by working to identify and reframe the problem. "Is this person's problem really $problem or is their problem the need to process their emotions about $problem". Redefining it to "unprocessed emotions about $problem" makes it a lot easier for me to sit and listen and run through the empathy scripts without getting distracted by the shiny problem to solve.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I was talking with a friend last night that I don't get to see very often. I told her that since we last talked I've learned that I'm autistic, and her response was essentially "I forgot you hadn't actually come out to me because it's been obvious the entire time I've known you". I was surprised at how really glad I was to to hear that because it's honestly one of the most validating things anyone has said since I started coming out to friends about it.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I used to argue BBT didn't make fun of autism because I felt like I heavily related and I clearly wasn't autistic. Oops.