Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That was really engagingly written, a book full of a page or so of autistic people's special interests would be incredible.

I think my special interest is probably Destiny lore, I could have a shorthand crack at explaining how the writers are having fun by implying that one of the characters seems to be trying to escape from the game, and by their standard might actually have succeeded.

Sup Destiny buddy. :hfive: I'm not a big lore person but I've played for 6 years and logged like 2.5k hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
Yeah it took about 40 seconds of BBT for me to realize it was gonna be a pass for me. I've only been aware that I have autism for a little over a year but now I'm realizing a lot of the characters I have felt represented by are coded as autistic. Matilda comes to mind.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
Daria is the person I wished I was, but I was the extremely loud, socially inept, talks too much, uncoordinated kind of autistic child/teenager.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I’ve got a strange (to me at least) question. Does anyone else have issues not with eating but with the digesting side of food. I see literature and studies on it but it looks like a minefield.

Yes, from what I've picked up in casual reading and research, GI issues and autism frequently go hand in hand. Me and my brother (also autistic) are both lactose intolerant and have various issues digesting food. My girlfriend (also autistic) has IBS. It makes sense when you think of other issues associated with autism, like 'pickiness', arfid, difficulties with food texture and smells, etc. Prior to finding out I was autistic I would have said I have no issues with food, then I realized it's not really normal to always experience a degree of disgust while eating, or to eat the same thing over and over again for years, or require things to be made exactly the same way every time, or have strict rules about what is the right way and the wrong way to prepare something and eat it, etc.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib

Injera posted:

Trying to sort out what is from cptsd I was finding that it really didn't explain some things, especially from young childhood and I was spiraling and obsessing, replaying incidents back, wondering about my sanity. Once I looked into autism I Felt something, and feelings are incredibly difficult for me to process, I have to reach out and touch it and figure out, will it burn me? Will it be ok? Will it lead to hope and then crush me because I hoped for a nice thing?

When I went to my doctor to ask for a referral, he asked me why I thought I needed one, at that point I was able to drop the mask after years of therapy, he couldn't agree more that I was likely an incredibly strong candidate for the referral and he really hoped I could get support for it. I'm past the first round with the referral now but still waiting, but I'm 100% sure regardless, and I'm trying to not obsess about imposter syndrome of oh what if I get rejected for the diagnosis, am I really that hosed up? Because I'm tired, so very very tired of how much energy everything is trying to figure myself out, dealing with a ton of autoimmune disorders and the lengthy processes and misdiagnoses (wrong type of diabetes for a decade, whoops I guess you really did need that insulin) down the path to get here.

Yeah, the childhood stuff was most tell-tale for me. I also spent many years just assuming that I was dealing with the aftermath of trauma, but the behavioural issues from basically infancy did not line up with that, since things didn't really go fully sideways for my family until I was about 10 or so. I also considered the possibility that I may have experienced some kind of brain damage or other neurological impairment in utero and/or as an infant from my mother's alcohol use and smoking. I did have one therapist suggest that I may have a TBI (and I still might tbh...who knows), but none of it ever seemed to account for the whole picture.

It took a lot of reading, seeing different therapists and not getting anywhere, and finally the greater exposure to autistic content online and my siblings' coming to terms with their autism for me to realize I was in the same boat.

Not to alarm you, but it is still possible that you may not receive a diagnosis. I know there are places where things are a little more progressive, but at least in my part of the world we are still assessing adults with diagnostic tools intended for children. Most people, including most doctors and therapists here, have a very limited understanding of what autism actually is and how it looks for different people. Just be aware that non-diagnosis doesn't mean you aren't autistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib

Black Feather posted:

Does anybody have suggestions of books or material to read about dealing with anxiety and depression as an autistic person?

I'm not sure I know of any books that deal specifically with anxiety and depression but most of the books I have read address it as kind of a central theme of being autistic, if that makes sense. I always recommend Unmasking Autism by Devon Price.