Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

People on Twitter are discussing how the main character in Legally Blonde is autistic.

https://twitter.com/FayeFahrenheit/status/1306310800794148865

Does that seem like a reasonable interpretation of the character?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Predictive coding explains a lot more than just autism. It's not mainstream yet but it probably will be in the near future.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Neurotypicals often don't have experience dealing with people who don't think like them and haven't developed the skills necessary to do so.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If you don't have hearing problems otherwise it might be auditory processing disorder. I know it shows up along with ADHD reasonably often and I wouldn't be surprised if it's more common with autism too.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Neurodivergent people are more likely to marry and have kids with each other than they are neurotypicals and that makes some conditions comorbid that don't have any underlying biological connection. There could be something there too.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

for fucks sake posted:

I've also heard good things about Temple Grandin's books. Haven't read any yet but they're on the to-read list after finishing NeuroTribes (review incoming).

Those are generally the standards but some of them are old and don't reflect current thinking.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The biopsychosocial model is appropriate here. The relative importance of those three factors is going to vary from person to person.

It's also worth noting that a lot of the autism discourse is coming from affluent and educated white Americans. Look at people in different countries or even in other cultures within our own country and you'll see some new things.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The way I've heard that before is that for an autistic person, there is no such thing as a pleasant surprise. I think that's a better phrasing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

bend posted:

I kind of like the idea I've come across that autism is a bit of a catch all for a set of issues/disorders that have similar presentations and we don't have enough information to differentiate them effectively just yet. It seems to tie into the idea that ADHD is related to autism ( I have both, I don't suggest it, it's a bit of a stress out at times) and might go some of the way toward explaining why presentations even at the same level can vary so drastically.

Our understanding of various neurodivergent conditions is based entirely on how they affect behavior, and that doesn't really tell us what's going on. As our understanding of cognition improves we'll get a better model for what the various conditions are and how they're actually rooted in the function of the brain, and it seems pretty unlikely that the current taxonomy will survive that.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The_Fuzzinator posted:

and dont get me started on groups demanding you talk in voice chat because they cant be arsed to read text chat. i have a deep masculine voice that does *not* fit how i want People to view me so vocalizing to strangers who are going to call me a guy Does not make me feel good.

Have you looked into voice modulation software?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Schizophrenics are generally allistic but clearly aren't neurotypical.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

A few people do that but they're highly visible so a lot of people assume that it's a lot more common than it really is.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's been a long time since this thread was really functioning as an Ask Me thread. It's been e/n style for pretty much as long as I've been reading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

Why was Hans Asperger controversial?

Nazi.