Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Jack Trades posted:

I figured I'll give my take on the eye contact question as well.

Maintaining eye contact feels a lot like trying to balance on a smooth slippery stone or trying to hold two magnets together the wrong way.
I can do it if I really focus but then my gaze just veers off on its own.

The compromise that I was taught is to either look between their eyes, or at their forehead or something.

For many years I've suspected that I might be borderline autistic. (My girlfriend thinks there's no "might" or "borderline" about it, but I've never gotten any kind of professional diagnosis so I stick to the "suspected" terminology.)

For me, eye contact just feels like a foreign social convention that doesn't come naturally. Body language varies by country and culture. Imagine visiting a country where the ordinary conversational body language means putting your shoulders back, your arms out, your head forward, and getting RIGHT up into the other person's face: classic aggressive "you wanna FIGHT about it?" body language. And in this country, if you DON'T do that, then it's seen as off-putting, or even a little creepy. If you were to visit this country, then sure, you could follow the custom... if you consciously reminded yourself to. But you'd probably slip sometimes.

That's my best explanation for how ordinary conversational eye contact feels to me. It's not a problem to do it, but I have to remind myself that no, I'm not actually picking a fight. I've been living for decades in this land with (what seems to me to be) the weirdly-aggressive body language, and so I've gotten in the habit of following the custom and looking people in the eye. But it's never felt natural, and if I'm not paying attention, I do slip up sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Regarding diagnosischat, what does an official diagnosis actually do for you?

Using myself as an example, I figure I might qualify as a mildly autistic (or I might just be an introvert with a few personality quirks). But I've never seen any reason to go through the hassle of a full evaluation just to get an official yea or nay. Whatever the answer might be, I don't see what practical difference it would actually make to get it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Pththya-lyi posted:

Adult coloring is supposed to be relaxing but it fills me with anxiety. I have to pick the right colors, if I pick the wrong ones the picture will be ruined :negative:

This reminds me of a quote I ran across many years ago, from the novelization of Red Dwarf:

Grant Naylor posted:

Rimmer believed there were two kinds of people: the first kind were history essay people, who started life with a blank sheet, with no score, and accumulated points with every success they achieved. The other kind were the French dictation people: they started off with a hundred per cent, and every mistake they made was deducted from their original perfect score.

It's written as a joke, just poking a bit of fun at Rimmer, but I've always thought it kind of profound. And it sounds like you and I are both French dictation people. :(:respek::(

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Tiny Myers posted:

When a new queen ant strikes out on her own, she takes a piece of the fungus with her to start a new colony.

At the risk of getting into territory better served by the ant thread in Ask/Tell, does the new queen carry a bit of the fungus in her mandibles during her entire nuptial flight, or do spores just always come along automatically in her social stomach, or how does that whole thing work?

quote:

I think everybody should try and infodump at least once here so we can share some of our cool accumulated info.

:hellyeah: