Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Saerdna posted:

I kind of summarized my reading and thinking in this

Autism is:

1. atypical cognitive development combined with
2. person/environment mismatch, which
3. leads to social and practical problems
4. that are not understood by the majority population
5. and consequently punished

The social:

When I see non-autistics interacting, it seems to me that they mostly interact through manipulating an imagined medium. Which I think of as "the social". I don't see or feel the social, I can only observe it indirectly.

A highly developed sense of this social medium, and ability to manipulate it, is prototypical of "normal development". When autistic adults don't sense or manipulate it, this indicates to non-autistics that they're deficient in some way.

I think I can pretend to sense and manipulate the social medium. But I don't think I can actually sense and manipulate it. It will be acting. I think this is an important disctinction, and an important reason why learning to act "normal" can be so harmful.

This also helps to explain why eye contact be so uncomfortable. Without the social medium it's too intimate for most situations.

I first started thinking about this when I noticed that groups of non-autistics would often kind of float from topic to topic like butterflies, just touching one thing and then fluttering away. It's incomprehensible to me.

I thought this might be two things:

1. They score very low on monotropism, and don't get "stuck" on any/most topics.
2. They're not really talking about these topics, but instead co-operatively constructing and manipulating the "social" medium.

Disclaimer: I have not been formally tested so obv. not diagnosed, but I have felt for a pretty long time that autism would explain an awful lot about me and how I experience the world. I've done several of the better online tests and I do score within the range. A basic thing is that I cannot tolerate prolonged eye-contact, it makes me feel sick and dizzy. Lots of other things too, but I don't think it every occurred to anyone that there might have been something going on with me because I was always highly verbal/communicative and pretty well-able to function in social settings, abeit in a very superficial way.

What I wanted to say is that your description of other people perceiving a 'social medium' that you can't, but can partially infer the existence of by observing them, is extremely like a metaphor I came up with a while ago for how I perceive the same thing - it's like there is a constant melody, a global background music being played that they can hear and I can't. I sing along as best I can by copying the bits they sometimes unconsciously sing out loud, but it's fragmentary, and it's hard work. In conversations you feel like they all know when to move on to the next verse but you're left floundering and trying to adjust when it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU