Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
What do you think about those behaviorist programs for kids with autism? The ones that will do something like have a kid do a page of homework without behaving in a way deemed inappropriate in exchange for a reward of some kind (candy, 10 minutes of tablet video game or something).

I have a friend who used to work in that field so i've always been curious. Some folks online hold a very strong opinion that it's forcing kids with autism to behave in ways that don't come naturally to them and is dehumanizing, but the internet tends to be hyperbolic to the extreme so it's hard to tell how much of that argument is in good faith--I've seen people compare it to training circus animals for instance, which is a really extreme comparison for something that is intended to decrease the kid's stress in social situations. My friend (who is an applied behavior analyst) and her husband (a psychiatrist) are obviously very in favor of establishment views of things.

But I wonder if it's true that it's teaching kids "you have to behave how I want you to or else you won't get what you want" rather than giving them actual adaptive skills that make it easier to navigate social situations. I know you said you didn't have this sort of thing growing up yourself but I'm curious if you have an opinion on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU