Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

As someone with autism I can see a lot of myself in these posts. I'm wondering now what my "stimming" response. Maybe I dont have one as such but I find I need to verbalize my thoughts a lot and tend to as a result be constantly muttering when dealing with a difficult task or experience. Could that be it?

Anyways my story is pretty similar I was the "weird kid" growing up and had to pick up social cues by trial and error. I wasn't diagnosed till I went to uni at 18. Which later explained a lot about my life. Hell even though I'm relatively high functioning i still consistently misread tones and social situations and find it difficult when doing something new.

As for a cure for autism if such a thing were possible I'd take it in a heartbeat but it wouldn't fix the years of trial and error social experiences.

I don't have any sort of autism related superpowers and find the whole rainmanesque assumptions to be kind of insulting. I'm reasonably smart but can't escape the feeling I'd be a lot smarter without my condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU