Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Op thank you for sharing that. I knew about the struggles you talked about on a surface level, but as a (somewhat) neurotypical I never really understood.

With memes though, it's definitely a case of needing to know the injoke like you did with old-school macros. Stuff like deep-fried memes or that Lord farquad E meme make absolutely 0 sense to me, and I'm a 24 year old extremely online neurotypical.

My question is how have you found dealing with the health system? I am trans and I've seen people compare the trans experience to the autism experience a lot. Most doctors have absolutely no idea and I need to educate myself to make sure I'm getting the best hormone treatment. I've had to educate even good doctors on language. There's almost absolutely 0 research as well and it's to the point that the anecdotal body of evidence of trans people is worth more than the scientific one especially because it's not coloured by prejudice. The comparisons Ive seen have always been pretty surface level, if you're okay to talk about that stuff I'd be interested in hearing what your experience has been like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Very different but it's for a similar reason that you say trans person and not tranny ( outside of tranny specifically being a slur). It's an adjective, not a noun, and it's not an affliction to be done away with.

Language is extremely important. Uneffected people don't see the point but the subtle differences makes for a big change in perception.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How do you all handle things like sarcasm or irony? Particularly on forums like Something Awful where text obfuscates a lot of context