Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lucky Greedo
Feb 14, 2012

At last, he held the throat of his beater.

credburn posted:

Eye contact sucks and I hate it. I practice really hard at maintaining it during conversation, but sometimes my focus is so centered on that that I lose track of what the other person is saying. The more anxious I am, the harder it is. When I make eye contact, I feel like I'm suddenly on a perfectly even.... what is the word? It's like the person I'm speaking with and myself are exactly equal in terms of social position, mutual respect, all that. And it's like a secret battle of attrition. Each second I feel weaker and weaker, and smaller, like I'm being judged, and I feel like my ability to think creatively or maintain an awareness of my surroundings diminishes. I have to give up eye contact briefly to reset myself, and try to pretend like I'm not being overwhelmed by judgment and criticism.

:wow:

It's shocking to read something that describes my feelings so well. I hate eye contact, and I also hate that by not making it I'm hurting a fair few people or making them uncomfortable, and it's part of the reason why being around people who don't know I'm on the spectrum is so unspeakably awful. It's a real barrier to one on one interaction for me, and I can't make or meet with friends unless we're in a group of three or more so someone can take the pressure off me from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucky Greedo
Feb 14, 2012

At last, he held the throat of his beater.

turd in my singlet posted:

The thing about the autism "spectrum" is that it isn't like a linear gradient of "autistic/not autistic", it's a collection of traits that can be more or less present in basically any combination and people who share the same traits may experience them very differently. "If you've met one autistic person, you've met one autistic person" is a common phrase I've seen in the community, which means that the experience of autism isn't really generalizable beyond a tendency towards certain traits.

Tbh I've never thought that much into the process of my desire for routine lol. That does sound familiar but for me what I notice most about having something disrupted is that it kind of takes a little while to get into focusing on a task then if something comes up and I have to stop it's like a train derailing... my brain wants to keep going with whatever the thing was and adapting to a sudden new demand is stressful and takes time to readjust

It's this for me. I get turbo focused on whatever task I'm doing and switching causes stress

Because I am ill at ease with uncertainty I also tend to get into these thought spirals in which I try to envision every possible negative outcome of a new development so that I'm prepared for the worst that could happen. It's extremely time- and energy-consuming and makes it difficult to bring my focus onto the new task. Meds helped a lot with making these less anxiety-laced but there's no getting rid of them, now I just cooly examine the eight thousand possible pitfalls of having to unexpectedly go to the grocery store for a lemon on a busy Saturday during a pandemic.

Unstructured time at work makes me vibrate with distress