Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Always been the odd one out. I will reciprocate a good morning or whatever when asked, but like... Man, I just don't like doing it. We see each other 5 days a week. Please stop. Who are you fooling?

e: will add I learned that you can just say "I'm fine, thank you. (Yourself? (Sometimes?????? Sometimes people are confused by this))" and proceed on without much interruption. I do empathize with the exhaustion of it tho.

Kalsco fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I do enjoy being a goblin but I've found very consistently nobody ever can tell when I'm joking or not unless they have already spent an intensive amount of personal time with me, and even then it's sorta hit or miss. I've been told it's a tone thing, but I really can't tell what they're getting at because I can definitely "hear" the tone difference but I'm guessing what that tone means to them =/= what it does to me.

e:

Tiny Myers posted:

It's funny because I kind of have a blind spot for it when I'm the one being messed with. Teasing has always been massively confusing and often distressing for me. Like there's "this is teasing out of pure affection and there's nothing actually wrong with what you're doing" and then there's "this is teasing but it's secretly them subtly, politely telling you that what you're doing is a problem and you should stop or tone down". I had to manually teach myself to be okay with teasing and understand that not all of it is coded messages or making fun of you, and frankly most of the time I still don't know how to tell the difference.

Likewise, yes. Once people get to know me it inevitably leads to playful teasing that I always misinterpret as genuine discussion. Some people admitted later they started doing it deliberately to get my impassioned responses, because they enjoyed the sudden emotional intensity of it. Fine with it when it's a positive something (hobbies, etc.) to discuss, I think most people have learned to never talk politics or social issues with me otherwise because I will never shut up about it given the opportunity.

Kalsco fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 12, 2023

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I think a lot of the gobliny stuff was born out of a masking I'd cloak under the guise of irony or "sarcasm". Devil's advocate stuff for things I found very engaging. Not really anything I feel a need for now. I will try to do an extremely facetious self-depreciating joke every now and then when I forget but always ends up a "huh?" And I'm reminded that oh yes that's why I don't do that anymore after I embarrassedly explain it's a joke.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Gastrointestinal issues are pretty common (relative) for ND folks. Indigestion, irritation, etc. Also immunological stuff too. I get both!!