Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Cephas posted:

I have a friend who used to work in that field so i've always been curious. Some folks online hold a very strong opinion that it's forcing kids with autism to behave in ways that don't come naturally to them and is dehumanizing, but the internet tends to be hyperbolic to the extreme so it's hard to tell how much of that argument is in good faith--I've seen people compare it to training circus animals for instance, which is a really extreme comparison for something that is intended to decrease the kid's stress in social situations. My friend (who is an applied behavior analyst) and her husband (a psychiatrist) are obviously very in favor of establishment views of things.

It really depends how intensive it is and what behaviors it tries to suppress or promote. The common complaint is that it teaches kids how to pretend to be neurotypical without addressing the core issue or even care about their well-being. If an autistic child is trained not to show their discomfort, in their adult life saying "no" will be very hard for them (which will make them easier to abuse). Stamping out completely harmless stimming will have negative consequences, because stimming is a method to regulate sensory input, especially in stressful or overwhelming situations. Of course, if your child self-harms, a behavioral therapy can be useful – but too many of them focus on getting a child that behaves exactly like a neurotypical one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

I would say it's an expression of relief. The face looks like sighing or breathing after some exertion.

For me, faces are difficult, but not impossible to decipher. Two main problems are that I rarely remember to look at them often enough, and that observing them makes conversations for me much more tiresome. And when I'm tired, I pretty much forget about faces and start talking to people while looking at the floor, walls, the table or anything interesting enough.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

underage at the vape shop posted:

My question is how have you found dealing with the health system? I am trans and I've seen people compare the trans experience to the autism experience a lot. Most doctors have absolutely no idea and I need to educate myself to make sure I'm getting the best hormone treatment. I've had to educate even good doctors on language. There's almost absolutely 0 research as well and it's to the point that the anecdotal body of evidence of trans people is worth more than the scientific one especially because it's not coloured by prejudice. The comparisons Ive seen have always been pretty surface level, if you're okay to talk about that stuff I'd be interested in hearing what your experience has been like

When I was 22, a therapist convinced me I can't possibly have autism and diagnosed me with some personality disorder that didn't quite fit. I was convinced that I'm neurotypical for 10 years and finally got my diagnosis because my parents convinced me to give it another try and get my diagnosis in a clinic that actually deals with autistic children and adults. So yeah, when mental health is concerned, it's better to be careful who do you consult.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

I don't really understand the difference between "autistic person" and "person with autism". English is my second language, but a similar distinction exists in Polish and I don't prefer one over the other.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

underage at the vape shop posted:

Very different but it's for a similar reason that you say trans person and not tranny ( outside of tranny specifically being a slur). It's an adjective, not a noun, and it's not an affliction to be done away with.

Language is extremely important. Uneffected people don't see the point but the subtle differences makes for a big change in perception.

I'm affected and I never really saw a meaningful difference. On the other hand, I got my diagnosis two years ago and my sense of identity as an autistic person isn't especially strong.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

I never got any autism-specific therapy, because I was diagnosed two years ago when I was 32. But my autism was never that burdensome and I learned to pretend that I'm normal relatively early. College was the lowest point in my life, but actually getting a job helped a lot. I don't know how would I turn out with actual therapy – but the one issue that actually prevents me from having a successful social life is that I find it extremely draining, and I doubt anyone could help me with that.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Luneshot posted:

P.S. anybody else gotta bounce their leg? I don’t understand why but I just. I have to. I can’t sit perfectly still, I have to be bouncing my leg or picking at my skin or fiddling with something. It’s a very nonspecific, hard to describe, but extremely strong urge to keep at least some part of my body moving or occupied. I’m curious if others have this.

Sometimes I do, but usually it's eyes (intense blinking), or moving my head. In my case, yeah, it's stimming.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Tjadeth posted:

This is a near decade-old study, but I vibe pretty hard with the term "gender incoherence".

An interesting sidebar is the suggestion that autistic people tend to look younger than their age for likewise chemical reasons. I've seen autistic people saying they get mistaken for high schoolers or college students, but it's usually written off as a matter of behavior or clothing. I know me and my more autistic-seeming family members have plenty of stories of people thinking we're ten years younger than we are. Anyone else in that boat?

Yeah, if not for male pattern balding, I look very young. People usually think I'm less than 30 and if I shave my head, I look like a college student.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

It's usually pointless to try to figure out if a fictional character is autistic. They are created by their writers, many of whom don't know much about autism. If the author intended their character to be autistic, usually it's either clearly specified or the character displays plenty of telltale signs. Otherwise the answer is no.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Turpitude II posted:

to officially diagnosed people: what should one expect from an assessment? and what type of professional did yours? i'm on a waitlist to have an asd+adhd assessment, but i have no idea what the actual process is and what they're actually going to do. and it's going to be at a clinic that trains and supervises provisional psychologists, because it was cheaper (and the only thing i could reasonably afford). i'm hoping that means there'll be both people with experience, and people being taught with more recent information and studies. i feel like i have pretty typical presentation, but i don't know. any situation where i have to interact with other people is difficult enough, even when i'm able to "prepare" for it beforehand and know what's supposed to happen. and i'm semi-verbal when under stress, i guess i'm worried that i'm going to have a shutdown if i don't think things are going well. which i guess would help my case, but... i don't know. what if they think i'm being too difficult.

very sorry about rambling, feel free to only read/answer the actual questions.

I got a lot of tests (scenes where I had to tell what the person on the picture is feeling, pictures illustrating some phrases, etc.) and a bunch of questions (do I like or dislike phone calls, is there food I don't eat and why, etc.). In the second room, someone talked to my parents, asking them about my childhood).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Turpitude II posted:

this one is a worry though because i test well :v: (but even then i usually need a lot of clarification was to what the test is asking me to do, or how i should answer, because i find the way people ask things confusing or imprecise, or i need to explain why i'm answering a certain way... and i absolutely can't do things that require organisation or anything on my own. for example, i could never do homework or essays for executive dysfunction reasons.)

Don't worry about it. I was convinced I smashed the tests and didn't expect a positive diagnosis until they told me.