Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I was diagnosed as autistic at age 4. Early interventions - speech therapy, behavioral therapy, etc. definitely made me something of a normal human being.Speech therapy was super important. For me, there was no distinguishable difference between the words girl and grill at age ten, which kind of gives you an idea of how hosed up my speech is (and kinda still is). Behavorial therapy and a lot of fantastic mentors did the rest. I live a normal, functional adult life. A lot of that was simply growing to accept that I am who I am. I have zero qualms about being the autistic gently caress that I am, though I really tone it down to almost-normal-human-being at work.

Plus, my IEP allowed me register first priority in college and fuuuuck me was that clutch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Whistling drives me loving wild, holy poo poo my ears can pick up a dude whistling at a gas pump three hundreds yards away. It's a fun and blood-pressure raising 'quirk' alright.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

The one time I took a colorless,odorless tab identified as acid (and almost certainly a research chemical) was a trip that I'd describe more as a fever dream of getting stuck in time loops and being terrified of the sea(we were next to the Pacific).

Every other time I've used mushrooms has fukken slapped though, shrooms are great.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Superpower: fantastic memory. Downside: for historical facts nobody gives a gently caress about.

Superpower: great visual acuity. Downside: crippling social anxiety.

Autism does not give you gifts. Rather, you were born with those gifts already, and also with the the genetic components necessary to have your brain develop in such a way that riding the bus with some dude who cannot stop loving WHISTLING is a traumatic experience. It's neither a curse nor a blessing, just a different perspective that eventually you learn is somewhat unique.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

signalnoise posted:

There are a lot of facets to what people think of as intelligence, and it's why I don't care much for placing value on "smart". There are tons of people I've met that people would say are slow or even just frustratingly dumb as gently caress, and sometimes people think that about me too. Why place any value on that when I could instead pay attention to whether someone's a good person? Lots of those people that get dismissed as dumb are really good, and lots of people who would be called smart are shitheads who have absolutely nothing to offer.

I absolutely agree. Intelligence is overrated. Being a nice person is far and away a more valuable trait.

Plus, the popular definition of intelligence doesn't get nearly the whole picture. I once knew a fella who could sculpt rock walls, an infamously difficult structure to build, with ease. Dude could legit read natural rock and make it fit together perfectly. I once watched this dude drop forty rocks in a day, which is an insane amount to fit properly in a rock wall in a day. He had an intuitive understanding of using the terrain to the advantage of the trail builder. He had a fantastic memory for detail.

He also probably the most dyslexic person I have ever met. Dude legit could barely read at a 3rd grade level. He was honestly convinced he was a complete moron because he struggled so nightly with reading and reading comprehension. This guy had a mind like a steel trap and a spatial understanding I have never seen since and he thought he was stupid because he couldn't read this idiotic made up language we speak.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I was diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type (what they used to call ADD) two weeks ago. Apparently it's super common for someone with ASD to also have an ADHD type disorder. Getting diagnosed with something like this in your adult hood is weirdly....okay? It's more of a confirmation of a sneaking suspicion than a damning accusation.

Getting medical grade amphetamines has been...a loving eyeopener. My mother told me that during my initial diagnosis with ASD, the doctor was convinced I had ADD and wanted to give me ritalin (as was the fashion in the early 00s). Now that I'm actually on Ritalin, gently caress. Is this what normal people feel like? Maybe not, but not being absolutely crippled with decision anxiety has been just peachy.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

The best part about getting older is embracing the part where being an adult means you get to do whatever the gently caress you want, including even talking to randos or just standing there stonily silent.

That being said, I can be charming, even ingratiating and friendly but gently caress is it exhausting. I've found that just being my normal, autistic and ADHD self is not particularly conducive to work place success, so the person I am at work and the person I am at home are basically strangers.That's why I don't have many relationships but only a few close ones.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I was a relatively high functioning ASD kid and I was a total goddamn nightmare as a child. You parents of ASD people, good luck. Care, nurturing, and some good therapy really, really loving helped as a kid. Also, please keep in mind that other disorders (like ADHD or childhood depression) are very often comorbid with ASD, and its pretty common to have both.

For actor chat, my only autistic representations I kind of liked were Elliot (Rami Malek) in Mr. Robot and Will Graham (Hugh Dancy) in Hannibal. It's really, really loving hard to nail the mannerisms of someone with ASD for an actor, but I think those are the more faithful portrayals I've seen of someone with autism. It's a spectrum for a reason, no one autistic person is going to be like another.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

My parents told me I was autistic at a young age and then became frustrated when I didn't just act normal as I grew up. Like I was just going to stop being autistic one day.

No wonder I'm emotionally distant with my family now. A family of people that never accepts you for who you are isn't a family, it's just a collection of people you have similar genes to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

Watching Big Bang Theory sans laugh track is wildly funny precisely because of how unfunny it is. It's a group of absolutely miserable people leading miserable lives, and tbh, it is probably the most existentially terrifying thing to ever air on TV.