Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

What about social conventions like saying thanks, hello and bye? I could imagine going from barely recognising those to a complete turnaround where adults with autism are relying on them a little too much, appearing a little stiff and formal. Is it difficult for someone with autism to experience this, uh, brief closeness to someone else by following the above mentioned social conventions? Would you stick with it like it was a rule and if so do you feel irritated by all the people who may or may not follow those but are quick to offend when you don't? And last question, was there a moment where you recognised following along was better than to avoid it (like with eye-contact?)? Thanks.

Yet another adult-diagnosed autistic chiming in: I absolutely do get irritated when people ignore normal social conventions. I know it's completely irrational but some part of my brain is going "no, I learned this, that's not how you do it! Someone's going to yell at you for not being Normal(tm)!"

Learning to follow along came around high school. Like someone said last page, being an academic overachiever (plus being born a girl; autistic trans club represent) meant a lot of people assumed I was just shy and bookish. Which I was, but that wasn't the only reason I had no friends. I did figure out the bridge of the nose trick quickly, which ironically made it harder to get diagnosed because psychs would always write down that I "maintained good eye contact".

Leg-jiggling chat: my wife has the ADHD/autism/OCD trifecta and jiggles her leg constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU