Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.
I'm probably going to regret posting in this thread, but is the aspie quiz relevant in this day and age? I've taken it about five times now and on average scored around 130. Part of me wants to dismiss it as skewed by design, but as some one who definitely has issues with anxiety, emotional control, and socializing its a bit concerning. To clarify I'm not trying to self diagnose, I just figure that if I ever work up the courage to go back to therapy, that it might be something worth mentioning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

here.

credburn posted:

Anecdotally, when I first moved to this town I met this annoying girl at a poetry reading. She was sitting in front of me and she kept turning around and talking to me, and I kept thinking, geez this autistic girl is really awkward. A month later I went to another reading, met the same girl, and then established a friendship. A month later we began dating, and I told her that when I first met her I thought she was annoying and autistic, and to this she responded, "I'm not autistic. If anyone is autistic, you're autistic."

This led to us, sort of jokingly taking an online autism quiz. We didn't take it seriously, however she did score very low on it while I scored very high. And three years later I was actually diagnosed with autism, and... honestly, I suspect she may be autistic, too, but it's not for me to really say. In any case, the online test was kind of accurate, at least regarding me.

So, I say all this to say that online quizzes are not going to give you any real substantial readings, but the quirks it might reveal can lead you toward the things that can actually help. My insurance covered my neuropsychological evaluations, whether I had been diagnosed or not.

Edit to say: I mention the insurance thing because while I don't remember what kind of insurance I had, it was pretty minimal at the time. Not to brag that I had insurance.

If you don't mind me asking what led you to seek out a diagnoses?

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

here.

credburn posted:

For the same reason someone might get tested to see if they have a virus or something; so that I can figure out what to do with myself. I'd spent my entire life struggling to fit in, to get by, to understand people but it was all under the assumption that I there was nothing wrong with me except that I was "odd" or "weird" or, at times, exceptionally naive. Once I had my diagnosis, I was able to recontextualize my entire life. It turned thirty years of shame and guilt and regret into something almost the opposite... as a neurotypical person, I was just a really weird kid. As a person with autism, I was a kid who managed a never ending struggle.

I've been in one form of therapy or another for almost ten years, and nothing really worked, but it's because all of this was under the framing of being neurotypical. Now I know I'm different, and that I need a kind of different tool set if I am going to get better. So, not that you asked, but I would tell anyone who is considering pursuing the venture toward a diagnosis that it is super beneficial.

Did that answer your question? I feel like what I said is confusing, but I'm not sure how to better word it.

It wasn't confusing in the least, and in some ways eerily relatable, thank you.

A White Guy posted:

I was diagnosed as autistic at age 4. Early interventions - speech therapy, behavioral therapy, etc. definitely made me something of a normal human being.Speech therapy was super important. For me, there was no distinguishable difference between the words girl and grill at age ten, which kind of gives you an idea of how hosed up my speech is (and kinda still is). Behavorial therapy and a lot of fantastic mentors did the rest. I live a normal, functional adult life. A lot of that was simply growing to accept that I am who I am. I have zero qualms about being the autistic gently caress that I am, though I really tone it down to almost-normal-human-being at work.

Plus, my IEP allowed me register first priority in college and fuuuuck me was that clutch.

The fact that I had to attend speech therapy as a child, and was diagnosed as having issues with auditory processing, is one of the main reasons I started to question if there's something up with me. For instance I distinctly remember that as a young child I was not able to tell the difference between the words spider and fire for some insane reason. Also I still have issues with verbal instructions. For instance if I'm verbally instructed to complete three or so basic tasks I'll often only succeed in carrying out the first task and will completely forget about the rest. Also I often find myself having to ask people to repeat themselves when they address me for the first time. I don't have hearing loss or anything, in fact my hearing is pretty sensitive and loud noises tend to bother me.

Beard Dandruff fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 21, 2020