Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

credburn posted:

I want to share an anecdote. A friend of mine was recently diagnosed, but it took like two months of regular visits to a neuropsychologist in order to get that diagnosis, whereas I was diagnosed after only two three-hour visits. She is -- maybe obviously, given the pronoun -- female, and as I understand it's harder to diagnose women because they tend to present in a much more subtle way. In any case, she finds that emojis (because I'm reluctant to change, I still call them "emoticons" and have to erase it every time) are extremely useful for helping others understand what she is trying to say. However, emojis are almost universally useless for me.

My diagnosis focused a lot on facial expressions. Now, anyone who looks at, say, :mad: knows it is an angry little yellow guy. A frown, angry eyebrows, I get it. However, she recently sent me this emoji: This thing makes absolutely no sense to me. Since I am so bad at broad expression interpretation, I have to break down individual features, but this little guy is all kinds of chaotic. First, the mouth. It's a semi-circle, flat on top, arch at the bottom, generally a symbol of happiness. It's a soft smile, though, so not like, ecstatic, but happy. It's kind of lazy, though, really relaxed, so maybe it's a breath, like a sigh. Move up to the eyes, which are closed. They're angled downward, a soft droop, suggesting contentedness, peacefulness, sleeping, relaxing. Combined with the soft mouth, I perceive this as sleeping. The eyebrows, raised up, but not in a furrow, so it's not angry and it's not confused. Those eyebrows appear on a surprised face, but this face is not surprised. It looks relaxed. So given all the evidence and what I know about individual expression, this emoji depicts someone asleep.

No, she says. She just meant she was really happy to hear about something.

I've often heard that one of the biggest tells of an autistic person is that they have trouble understanding and translating body language and facial expressions. This is very true for me, and I hope that maybe my breakdown of the thought process that I have to go through helps convey this seemingly simple (I mean, it seems really really simple to me, even though I can't grasp it) thing that babies don't even have trouble with. Of course, this is my personal experience, and I can't say if it's like that for everyone, but maybe it is for many?

imo that emoji looks contented.

How I organize emojis in my head is that emoji use changes among context. So for example my one friend we use 😍 as a stand-in for ♥️ because of the limitations of messenger. I also see ♥️ use as different between friends who use it to mean different things. So mentally I just box it up with them. This means my emoji use is going to change with different friends as well.

Although I do all my social interaction like that. I get super messed up mentally when I have more than one group of friends with different contexts in one room (not that it's happened much) because my emotional expression depends on the person I'm talking to, so it's difficult to figure out how to react when you have conflicting interaction contexts in the same place. If that makes any sense?

I'm not formally diagnosed as autistic but aspiequiz gives me like upwards of a 70/30 chance of being autistic and pretty much my entire friend group has been diagnosed... I'm hesitant to use the label but I still relate heavily to the experiences listed here so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Dance Officer posted:

Don't use the label, but do get tested. My experience is that you'll discover things about yourself, and problems you didn't realize you had.

Unfortunately I have Medical Problems so getting tested means a higher risk of disbelief with said medical problems. I'm also trans so then I get Trans-Broken-Leg Syndrome on top of that, which sounds like a literal nightmare to deal with. It also means that the medical professionals will be more likely to disbelieve the fact that I am trans, which means a longer wait for treatment, so that's another point against getting tested. I don't really see any specific benefit to getting tested (aside from validation and stuff, but I have that already from my friends) that going to a therapist won't deal with anyway.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

credburn posted:

I'm baffled by this post. I was unfamiliar with "Trans-Broken-Leg Syndrome." I thought you were making up a euphemism that just went over my head, but I looked it up. I'm so sorry that this is one of the ridiculous obstacles you have to get through just to approach the equivalent measure of care the rest of us get. Can you elaborate on your concerns with getting tested and "risk of disbelief" with medical problems? Do you mean that if you are diagnosed with ASD, that diagnosis will be used to imply you're just confused about your gender?

Hmm, so I accidentally rolled five different effects into one :)

Basically the things I've heard of happening are:
  • People with disgnosed autism, OCD, anxiety, etc. stating that they've had a much harder time getting good medical care because the doctors try and pin it on that first for whatever reason
  • People with diagnosed autism or OCD going for trans treatment and that getting prevented because the therapist is trying to say it's just a fixation or obsession rather than them actually being trans
  • Trans people going for treatment for an unrelated and existing medical problem and getting told they should stop HRT because that could be causing it (which... no...)

I've heard of some other things but my brain isn't letting me remember them at the moment! I think eventually after I've moved out and gained a therapist I'll ask them to pursue an autism diagnosis but keep it off the record for the aforementioned reasons, so then I can at least get some kind of treatment for it, I guess.

I only just saw your message, this thread was on the bottom of my bookmark list until now for some reason :(

Off-topic, but do you mind if I ask what your old username was? c:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Klaaz posted:

I think Abed from Community is a decent aspie character. Also Saga Noren in Bron/Broen, the original Swedish version of The Bridge.

iirc dan harmon talked about how he read up a bunch on autism (mostly stuff written by autistic people) for the character abed as soon as people said Abed is autistic. And while originally the author insert was Jeff, as he read he started realising he related to the stuff he was reading very deeply, and realised the actual author insert was Abed :kimchi:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

whydirt posted:

I’ve seen that it is controversial. My understanding is that much of the bad experiences come from negative reinforcement techniques used to stop stimming/repetitive behaviors and that most current ABA instead focuses on positive reinforcement and doesn’t use those older techniques any more. And at least for toddlers it’s more like individualized preschool than anything else.

Regardless, I plan on being engaged with his therapy providers and I won’t force our kid to do it if he ends up stressed by it. I don’t want him to try to be “fixed” or “cured” or other nonsense; I love him the way he is. I just want some help getting him to talk and learning some basic skills like teeth brushing, toilet training, etc.

You might already know this, but I just want to add that stimming should really only be prevented if it is actively harmful.

Fundamentally it is a way to cope with too much sensory input, by creating an input that can be focused on to help ground the person, like getting a signal through all the noise. At least, that's how it works for me (I rock when I'm sitting on my bed, I used to vibrate my legs constantly for the same reason) and a few diagnosed autistic people I know. Stopping all stimming is bad because it means that the person no longer has a way to cope with being overloaded, meaning it's a straight jump from being overloaded to melting down.

Removing stimming is just removing the symptoms of being overloaded, and removing a useful mechanism for the person to cope with being overloaded.

It's loosely analogous to how you don't teach a dog not to growl, because growling is the dog communicating that it is stressed, and is a useful warning sign* to the owner to help them notice and improve the situation. Without growling the dog goes from being stressed to biting, which is obviously a really bad thing. Instead you teach biting hibition, and you keep note of what stresses the dog and what they're trying to communicate, and remove them from situations that stress them out to that degree.

* - one of many, but people don't tend to notice the glances and side-eyes, and other kinds of body language that dogs use to communicate.

(I realised while writing that analogy that one reading of it probably implies I am comparing autistic children to dogs :yikes:. That's... not the take away I intended nor the comparison I wanted to draw, so I have tried to edit it to make it not have the same implications, but, they might still remain. I'm sorry if they do.)