Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
Have any of you been or known someone that went from non-verbal to verbal? My son is 7 and has been making some great strides with talking and listening, but I fear the day where he will be too big for me to handle and need to be in a group home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
“Float” really wrecked me when I saw it…cried for a week.

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021

Pillow Armadillo posted:

On the flipside, it's rough times meeting parents whose toddler are experiencing the opposite scenario - meeting normal language milestones only to stall or become nonverbal later on. I think stories and scenarios like that did a lot to empower the antivaccine movement over the last couple decades.

I’ve been there. When he was 1 (on his birthday) he said “ball” for the first and only time for years. At 2 he would count down before going down a slide…then he just stopped. We would get a occasional full sentence, I remember asking him to sign for something and he just shouted “I don’t want to!” His cousin is the same age, I remember when they were babies and the cousin couldn’t crawl. My son literally crawled circles around him and then used him as a prop to sit up. For awhile we thought it might have been a hearing problem. He did have to get tubes in his ears. I sang twinkle twinkle little star to him when he got home. He smiled, the next morning he tried to sing it to me…then he did it for his mom…but stopped and just started using tika tika as a nonsense word.

There was a lot of regression during the pandemic. his in office ABA therapy shut down, all words just became bub bub. Once school started and his ABA therapy moved from in office to at home, he got the missing words back and continued on with more skills. I sit in all his ABA sessions and took an ABA 40 hour course so I would have an idea about what to expect in my home. This year he can respond to yes or no questions with a “Yeah” or “noooo” or “nah!” or “I do!”

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
I’m confused with masking and what makes it so Autism specific? Don’t we all kind of mask part of ourselves? Oscar Wilde once said “Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

Most autistic people I know have never mentioned masking and mostly talk about having no filter which I assume is the complete opposite. One of my coworkers on his first day announced he was autistic, Jewish, and a Polygamist in an open marriage where another dude is banging one of his 2 wives. He has no filter which makes it okay to say terrible things too…sorry not sorry! He’d sometimes talk in a fake accent for absolutely no reason. He’s probably a goon and probably the worst person I ever met….mostly due to his obsession with his adopted teenage daughter sounded like grooming to me, and he threatened a woman in the office by accident and then threatened her for real after the miscommunication.

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
I’m sorry but 15 isn’t anywhere close to being an adult. 3 to 5 years is a lifetime at that age. time moves significantly slower for a teen compared to a 30 year old with children. I didn’t move out until I was 21 and had nothing going on but semesters wasted jr college. I was able to get a one bedroom apartment with the help of my therapist. Within a year I working a full time job and no longer needed the support of my parents who were honestly holding me back with emotional baggage. My mother constantly told how worthless I was but wouldn’t let me leave cause she wanted government money.. I met my wife and we’ve been together for GASP 15 years. Now we’re raising a 7 year old on the spectrum. He’s level 3 so I don’t have the same concerns as you. But all I’m trying to say is at 15….there’s still time for you…

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021

Dance Officer posted:

I guess it's time for me to apologize for making the assumption that King Baby's daughter is 15. I'm sorry about it, and the mix-up it's spawned.

My son is 7….Okay, I see where the 15, 18, confusion of nesamdoom‘a daughter came from. I apologize for contributing to that confusion too.

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021

Organza Quiz posted:

Current classifications for autism are 1-3 based on support needs, where 1 is very little support required and 3 is a very high amount of support required. At least that's how my psych explained it to me, might not be used as much in the US?

This is correct.

Level 1 can be some dude that found out he had autism at 30 without even knowing it. Level 3 is me desperately trying to keep dirty things out of my son’s mouth like rubber bands on the floor…or off peoples wrists.

He cries a lot and makes a lot of weird noises. A neighbor once brought over a jug of milk for our “baby” because they bought too much. They were shocked to see him later because he actually looks 2 years older then he really is.

And just because he’s level 3 doesn’t mean he’s not smart. I’ve been rewriting this post on floor for an hour now. There’s a lot I’ve written l, I’m just keeping it out of the post for now. He just went in the bathroom where the cat box is and closed the door. This was a trick to get me off the floor, so he could lead me to the kitchen to get more crackers and juice.

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021

cinnamon rollout posted:

What's up "trying to keep my son from putting everything in his mouth all the time" buddy

Edit: our latest adventure is unravelling every single one of his shirts and chewing on the unravelled string

I actually kinda wanna see that. My son loves his screen tees. He’ll likes to lay them flat and rub his fingers on the design.

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
Hey do any of you guys think Michael Jackson was autistic? I’ve brought it up with my wife (Queen Baby) and she won’t have the conversation with me because Michael Jackson is a terrible person. I respect her decision but as an armchair analyst, I’ve put way too much thought into this. Here are some of my obsession….err, um, observations.

1. The way Michael talks and sings. He sounds like a child when he talks. He uses weird descriptions like “doodoo feces” and repeats things a lot. When singing it can be hard to understand him at times (especially anything from the Bad album onwards). He makes a lot weird noises too.

2. Michael’s dances are filled with things that look like hand flapping and stemming. That crotch grab…total stem!

3. He covers his face a lot with glasses, masks, hats, and his hair.

4. The shiny 1 glove and other strange over stimulation items he wears.

5. He has next to no self control. He doesn’t care about the consequences of his actions, just his results.

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021

FilthyImp posted:

Jackson faced a childhood full of abuse and unnatural expectations. It's almost assuredly a fool's errand to try and classify him from the armchair given all that.

This is amazing. Thanks!! Time to start saving up

I don’t disagree but could the same exact thing be said about someone like the overly documented Chris Chan? I have no idea where I’m going with this…admittedly.

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
So I’ve been working at school for emotionally disabled children as a one-on-one for a bit. I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to get the kid I work with to stop picking his rear end. He’s 14, level 2 on the spectrum and he’s got a lot of behavior issues, but this butt picking is driving me nuts. I let him know it’s disgusting but he does it anyway...constantly…like no shame. I’m thinking it’s some sensory processing disorder from what the internet tells me but I still have no idea what to do about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Baby
Sep 30, 2021
Thanks for the advice guys. It gives me some good ideas on what I wanna try next with him.

I’m actually leaving out a lot of details about him. My school is essentially just full of kids with terrible backstories along with their intellectual/emotional disabilities. I remember having a different kind of poop issue myself as a kid. It was caused by trauma, it took a very long time for me to realize this and get over it. The kid I work with has been molested at least by 2 different people so that may have something to do with it….I dunno I’m not a psychologist, i just want him to stop sniffing his butt fingers.