Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
Advice time!

My kid is in intensive in-home therapy primarily for verbal and occasional physical aggressiveness. He’s 150% not autistic, but has ADHD and PTSD.

In the course of the 11-million questionnaire and behavioral plan discussions about things that are in his medical history but are not a current problem and have not been for more than a year, I ask the therapist to choose a different term than ‘exit and wait’ plan if the plan has nothing to do with exiting and waiting. I give an offhand “I’m autistic, you using this term is jarring and confusing for me, just ask about a plan.”

Ten minutes later, she comes at me with “I know you identify as autistic…” which gets my back up. I’m queer too and anyone who starts a sentence with “I know you identify as lesbian” is about to say something ridiculously clueless and/or offensive. She then brings in a set of anime emotion flash cards and says that we might be able to use them when my kid is being a shithead and won’t give me space. I can’t loving read these things, I flat out fail every ‘give a picture of a person and guess what they’re feeling’ test I’ve been given. I use motion and tone of voice as cues and can mask pretty drat well, but give me a stationary picture and I’m at a loss.

Is it time to cut my losses and drop this service? The last therapist was marginally helpful, but neither of them are as good as his normal outpatient therapist, he just needs more frequent CBT to retain things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

cinnamon rollout posted:

If you are asking if you should stop in home services for your kid because you don't like the speech therapist, or occupational therapist, or councilor, or whoever (I'm not sure what services you child is getting honestly), my personal answer is you don't need to like them for them to do a good job and be beneficial, I've had issue with plenty of service providers for this or that reason. Usually if you give them the chance they will grow on you though! In my experience anyway.

I would ask myself if the things the therapies are for have been resolved or are they ongoing? Some things need some level of care forever, or are something we work at our whole lives.

They aren’t focusing on the referral issue, instead rehashing a ton of stuff that’s been under good control for years. They spent two sessions in the name of ‘rapport building’ basically just talking about themself. My kid is checked out to the tune of actually falling asleep during some of this, and the intervention they’ve suggested seems like a comically bad fit for my household. Oh, they also don’t have any theoretical grounding in the methodology they’re supposed to implement and have trivialized my kids dissociative parts by repeatedly calling them imaginary. My kid’s a reasonably high risk to develop schizophrenia, he already hears voices, and if he thinks people aren’t going to believe him he shuts down and doesn’t talk about it at all.

I’ve suffered through a number of lovely mental health providers when I was a kid, and have a strong sense of who’s going to be a therapeutic fit for me as an adult. My kid has a therapist who he trusts and who understands his issues, it’s just that 1x per week isn’t enough reinforcement for a kid with I/DD and memory issues. Thus far in-home has been at best an ineffectual waste of time and at worst set him back a ways in regards to the dissociative voices.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

cinnamon rollout posted:

I agree with you, one hour a week isn't enough, in my experience with the one hour a week in home therapy sessions the first few sessions involve building a rapport and just getting used to an unfamiliar person being in your space, and the sessions going forward usually are maintaining a good relationship with the child along with demonstrating and practicing techniques to use in the home during the week, whatever that would look like in your situation.

It might ruffle some feathers but if you don't come across as angry or aggressive about it it won't be too bad.

I may not be appropriately clear. My kid has an outpatient therapist he sees at her office for one hour a week; this is longstanding and useful, we’ve worked through a lot of issues already. His aggression required an ER visit earlier this year, but we were on the fence about admitting him. If my child was not I/DD, he’d go into an outpatient program, but there is not one suitable for his intellectual functioning level.

Intensive in home is 4+ hours per week spread out over two sessions. We were doubling this up while still working with his primary outpatient therapist; they’ve switched providers on me once already in the two months I’ve been working with them. The new provider has exceeded my patience limit in the ~6 hours we’ve seen her so far (+30 minutes I was on the phone to her trying to explain why her medication recommendation was inappropriate for our situation; my kid can’t comply with a requirement and would risk hyponatremia, which I have confirmed with his doctors). I’m at the angry aggressive affect now because gentler corrections haven’t worked.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Dance Officer posted:

I have tinnitus in both ears. I probably have it because of playing loud music to cancel out other sounds for years. In that sense noise cancelling headphones have also been a blessing, I don't hear the tinnitus with them on.

ANC makes me really motion sick for some reason and noise isolating headphones aren’t nearly as popular.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

SetsunaMeioh posted:

I've started job searching because I'm completely burnt out on my current job (and tired of healthcare in general.) However, I want to switch careers back to what I originally wanted to do (work in publishing, mostly related to editing & clerical stuff) but that's drat near impossible with the current job market (in the US specifically.)

I'm trying to reach out to old contacts, but since I'm garbage at keeping up relationships, they're probably just gonna ignore me and/or not see the reach-out at all.

I don't know if I'm asking for advice or just venting, but the last two weeks have been so stressful & with so many meltdowns on my part (I started crying on the phone with my boss at one point last week.) I wish I was better at networking, but I feel like a giant liar and I'm not great at explaining my skill set.

I'm fairly certain I'm hitting the wall of autistic burnout AGAIN, and the last time that happened, I was homebound for nearly 3 years. I don't want that to happen again, but I still need to work to pay my bills/mortgage.

Have you looked into medical writing at all? It’d be one way to get back towards publishing/editing where the healthcare background would be a benefit.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

SetsunaMeioh posted:

I have looked up medical editing, which I prefer over coming up with writing itself. There seems to be classes that people offer but much like regular publishing, employers seem to want 3-5 years experience for entry level jobs. I'll keep looking into it though.

One thing I’ve learned about the entry level 3-5 year experience is that it is often a preferred rather than required element; if you make it past the HR screener you’ll be judged on your merits.

CRO work is soul-sucking and relentless, but it’s a good way to get a foot in the door to get over that experience hurdle.

There’s relatively little novel writing that the medical writers I’ve worked with actually do; they are usually working to plug results into a template or rework sections initially drafted by a subject matter expert.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Fuschia tude posted:

This is most of technical writing, honestly; you're rarely the originator of content because you don't have the incredibly niche knowledge required, you're just taking an article drafted by someone who doesn't know how punctuation works and sets each line on a different list level at random and formatting it to adhere to house style and comprehensible spelling and grammar.

Anecdotally it seems like 50+% of people in my field (statistics) have English as a secondary or lower language, usually with their mother tongue in a completely different linguistic group. I am continually impressed with how well they communicate technical concepts (I wouldn’t do half as well if I was trying to write in French), but it does sometimes help to have an expert in English clean things up.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Allistic means not autistic, the two apparently come from opposing linguistic roots, like cis and trans - it's a word that's degined by what it isn't, rather than what it is.

I recognized this root only from work history with autologous and allogeneic bone marrow transplants, which seems even farther afield than recognizing cis and trans from chemistry.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Culex posted:

My most prominent memories of objects from my deep past is their mouth feel and taste. drat, the old My Little Pony feet with the dimple were great.

Agree on the my little pony feet. I knew as a kid it wasn’t something to mention to others, though.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
I adopted an ND kid from foster care (they were 12.5 when they came to live with me, adopted as a 14-year-old). They have ADHD and I suspect ARND on the fetal alcohol spectrum.

It gave me a chance to deep dive in a few other subjects; I have book recommendations aplenty for trauma.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!
My kid isn’t autistic but wasn’t being educated under their IEP so I pulled them to a private school (they kept pretty much the same goals for 5 years in public school). They end up autism-adjacent though, all the other kids in their class now are autistic, as are about 80% of their current school.

They still need the IEP for the grant that pays for a chunk of tuition. Some of their good former EC teachers were involved in the process so it was at least timely if not useful. The new school pays no attention to the IEP but my kid can read now and hasn’t been assaulted at school again, so they’re good in my book.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Blue Moonlight posted:

If it helps, my eldest is in a really good placement at an NPS (non-public school, essentially private but paid wholly by the district and focused on special needs) now. He has staff that genuinely cares for him, and he genuinely cares about them as well. We’ve seen significant progress.

Same with my kid; autism + IEP qualifies for twice the money as other IEPs in my state though so it’s not fully covered for us.

If your kid has significant behavior issues the right NPS can be much better than a self-contained public classroom. Mine went from ISS every other week (almost always from issues in mainstreamed electives) to maybe one call home the first year at their NPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Comstar posted:

Any advice from parents who went through it, or those of you who lived through it.

I remember having a ton of anxiety about each new school year and throwing up every morning for the first few weeks of school through elementary school. If it seems linked with anxiety, the Yale SPACE program as laid out in ‘Breaking free of child anxiety and OCD’ may be a good starting point.

My ND teenager also periodically flirts with school refusal, but I’ve found that the right school (which allows them to take sensory breaks), and clear expectations for what staying home looks like (no TV, no video games, periodic check-ins, and working semi-independently on schoolwork) mean that they only take that option infrequently.