Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Thanks for sharing. I think to some extent the interpretation struggles you have are felt by a lot of people, but you have greater than average difficulty deciphering things, plus more...emotional difficulty(?) when you can't decipher something. Like, if I have trouble guessing the intent of something like that Michael Jackson image, I hope later context will clarify and won't lose sleep if it doesnt.

credburn posted:

"Do you WANT to catch a cold?" my mother would say as I try to leave the house without a coat. Obviously, I guess, the answer is no, but she must know that, so why is she asking me? Why doesn't she just tell me to put on my coat? Is she actually waiting for an answer? "ANSWER ME!" she shouts. Well, gently caress, I guess she is. Argh.
I wonder if learning about Pragmatics (the subfield of Linguistics) could be useful to you, as it's in part about teasing out the logic here. The first step you already did, which is to recognize that she must know the answer to the literal question is "no". But that also affects the likely intended meaning of "answer me!". Your mom doesn't want the answer she already knows, she wants something else. In this case, she wants you to verbally acknowledge and address her concern that you will catch a cold without a coat.

As an aside, image macros were so called because by invoking them with small snippets of text like [img-timeline], you were running (something like) a computer macro to auto replace that text with an image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

credburn posted:

I never knew these images were literally tied to actual macros. What. What. I've heard of img-timeline. I think you used to get put on probation for it? Oh goodness it was so long ago.

The old macros are shown and discussed in this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773226

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Dance Officer posted:

I've not heard of autism and gender-related [stuff] having any connection
There's a lot of correlation and partial/potential explanations for said correlation. This is discussed/studied a fair amount.

That's not to say that there won't be bad doctors who use their perspective to give worse care, etc.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Here's a question: Do y'all ever have trouble picking out human voices in areas with a ton of background noise, especially background chatter from other people speaking like a cafeteria or something?
Auditory processing disorder exists. But also I had those same symptoms. Except, in my case a hearing aid (set to make speech louder rather than everything louder) fixed it because it's definitely just an issue with my ear.