Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

cinnamon rollout posted:

Just curious if any parents of autistic children have had to get into any fights with their school district, and if so, what should I kind of expect once the situation is resolved?

Im talking nasty, feet dragging, investigations pending, attorneys involved kind of fights.

While the situation is about to come to a close and my son will be attending a different, private school, I will still have to do IEP meetings with the public school, and much to their dismay I will be back with my other son in a few years.

So I know it's a long shot but I just want to be prepared for any kind of retaliation or behaviors from the school district that I might be blindsided by.

Thanks if anyone weighs in. If no one can relate then I totally understand, it would be nice if no one could honestly.

My experience is a bit different. My autistic eldest is in an NPS and graduating in June, but he was disruptive in general ed environments. My youngest gets had ADHD and an IEP, but is in gen ed. So most educators who dealt with both generally found my youngest easier to work with.

However, what I’ve seen for both following adverse interactions (bordering on attorneys for my eldest, and looping in the district for my youngest) has generally been malicious compliance. This could range from taking the most time possible to set up and hold a meeting, to interpreting “teacher’s notes will be made available for use on the test” to mean “if you track down each teacher’s notes for a given test in the Byzantine collection of random CMS pages or classroom management apps, you can print them for your child to use.”

At its best, it can mean “for your ADHD kid, we don’t mind letting him stay enrolled for the last month of the school year during remote learning after you moved out of district, but for your autistic kid, he’s out, and sure you could probably fight it but not in the space of a month, good luck” (Luckily there, our new district’s NPS coordinator was gobsmacked by the old district’s behavior and got it all worked out with the NPS to continue services).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Well Played Mauer posted:

Man these are horror stories. We’ve had a diagnosis for my 5-year-old for about six months and his preschool has been great in helping him when he runs into difficulties. He’s confident enough there that he’s a leader that makes up games for everyone else. But our next worry is the transition to public kindergarten and entering the Actual System.

I feel like we should chat with a social worker to learn how to best navigate the system and then get a lawyer on retainer for when we can’t. I’d rather avoid private school if we can, but it sounds like public school is gonna be a high conflict path.

If it helps, my eldest is in a really good placement at an NPS (non-public school, essentially private but paid wholly by the district and focused on special needs) now. He has staff that genuinely cares for him, and he genuinely cares about them as well. We’ve seen significant progress.