Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So recently my older son was diagnosed as having autism. This was a late diagnosis at 10. We’ve basically been asking professionals if he was autistic since he was about a year old and getting told no repeatedly, but only finally paid for a neuropsychologist last March. A big part of this is that he was incredibly verbal incredibly early, like conversational with about a 100 word vocabulary at a year (we wrote down all his words because no one believed us). There were also sleep issues and extremely intense emotions. Meltdowns were related to fine motor skills. He couldn’t do a physical skill (like throwing a plane or a ball, but all the way back even to like crawling) and would meltdown. But always the physical skill would just eventually happen and then no issues with that skill ever again.

Eventually problems began appearing in written work in elementary school. The physical act of writing / spelling and putting up with the convoluted hoops of eureka math were the big problems. We were adamant with the school that something else was different about him. They wanted an IEP without an evaluation under the emotional disturbance category. We picked a fight and insisted on an evaluation. What they found was large differences in his abilities. He was 3-4 standard deviations above in about half of the WISC categories and 1-2 below in about a quarter. We also identified and got an ADHD diagnosis from our primary care provider at this point.

This gap was causing a lot of his emotions. He could verbally answer questions and then not write answers to them. In this period the OT (one we paid got) figured out his grip strength / hand fine motor was extremely low, but with no gross motor issues. Anyway the district didn’t want include any academic goals on his IEP even as they were aware of this gap and writing difficulties. We also asked again about autism and were told no. Our thoughts in the process was that he had ADHD, was g&t, and had a another learning disability (which we thought was dysgraphia.) but they didn’t want to hear any of that and basically ignored us and said no to everything we suggested for the IEP.

Anyway the writing and the spelling continued to not progress and they basically blew off our concerns for nearly a year (likely because they are understaffed). So we pulled the trigger on getting our own neuropsych evaluation. ADHD, autism and dysgraphia were the results. Basically he recommended all the things we had been asking for. We are about to have the getting those things put in the IEP fight.

But anyway this led to basically all my immediate family taking screeners. I pop and my parent (70+) does. Now knowing, it’s incredibly obvious all three generations have the social differences, but without the most visible ones that are the most associated with autism. We make appropriate eye contact, we don’t exhibit “Inconsistently Directed Facial Expression” or have “Hand, Finger, & Other Complex Mannerisms” We don’t have stereotyped word usage. But everything else, oh boy.

I’ve been trying to figure how this happened. Why was this so hard to figure out. For my parent it’s obvious none of this was a thing while they were growing up.

For me… and this is why I am posting this because it may be helpful to somebody else, it was because of the dates when particular changes happened to the DSM.

I screened for G&T and tested into that in 1991. Aspergers isn’t in the DSM until 1994. It leaves entirely in DSM V. G&T programs were catching many of the high functioning autism spectrum folks even after DSM IV. If you are around forty that’s why you might have ended up there. Your parents wouldn’t have known because it wasn’t a thing in their generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

As a parent we fixed that one with: Better wiping skills or switching to flushable wet wipes, or wet wipes into a trash receptacle.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Well Played Mauer posted:

A question I’d like to ask is: what did your parents do (or you wish they did) to support you that was helpful when you were kids?

Chose flexible people who were not rigid.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I’ve got a strange (to me at least) question. Does anyone else have issues not with eating but with the digesting side of food. I see literature and studies on it but it looks like a minefield.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Anything FODMAP causes gas issues and I’m severely lactose intolerant.

Before puberty red 40 and blue 6 had nasty effects.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Quorum posted:

It's been well known enough that grifters have been trying to convince autism moms that the correct enemas would cure their kids' autism for decades.

Here’s it mostly non processed no additives no added sugar with that crowd. They’re big into smoothies. A good 3/4 are also autistic themselves.

We just cook from home nearly all from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The earlier one pulls the trigger on your own nuero psych evaluation and consults a lawyer the better. It was a prolonged fight getting a good IEP.

They know the rules parents don’t. The nuero and the lawyer basically give one a blueprint for what to do and say to get what one needs for one’s child. But most people don’t fall into the can afford a nuero and a lawyer but not private school window.