Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I grew up with an autistic brother. His disability has had a huge impact on my life--it's a mix of good and bad. A lot of siblings end up in social service roles because of our experiences. I certainly did. It hasn't always been an easy road (things imploded when our mother died and I had to step in) though we're doing pretty well right now.

I'm currently reading a really interesting book that might be up the alley of some folks here. It's about the difference between parental activism and self-advocacy for folks with disabilities.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Camrath posted:

WRT fictional autistic characters, I’m frankly embarrassed to admit it but the only one I’ve seen in vaguely current media that totally nails is is Entrapta, a character in the recent She-Ra cartoon. Apparently she’s specifically and consciously coded as autistic, and it’s a pretty good portrayal of it, without it being the only aspect of her personality or being made into either a ‘devil’ or ‘angel’- she’s a complex character with her own motivations.

Binging my way through season 1, and Entrapta is clearly the best and most adorable princess.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Mamkute posted:

What are your thoughts about Community Living British Columbia? Have you had experience with them or something similar? I've gotten a couple of their letters.

HahahahahHahaHAHAHAHahahah

(sob)

Maybe shoot me a PM if you have to deal with them for services.

e: pixelant3@gmail.com if you don't have PMs.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 20, 2021

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I'm not OP, but I do get services from CLBC. Can I PM you?

Sure. I used to be an advocate, so I've tangled with CLBC on more than one occasion.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

HomestarCanter posted:

One of their community partners is Autism Speaks, which according to my autistic girlfriend "is one of the bads."

I've been in a room full of neurodiverse people chanting, "Autism Speaks does not speak for me!" So yeah, it's one of the bads. They focus on autism as a thing that needs to be fixed and it's always from the perspective of the caregivers, not the people with autism. I'm told they don't have a single autistic person on their board.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Falconier111 posted:

Right now I’m doing an LP of Katawa Shoujo, a game about what it’s like to live with a disability. Is it okay if I cross-link it with this thread?

That's a yike from me. Deeply uncomfortable sounding game.

I'm not autistic, but neither is anyone in that game.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

A Festivus Miracle posted:

I was diagnosed with ADHD inattentive type (what they used to call ADD) two weeks ago. Apparently it's super common for someone with ASD to also have an ADHD type disorder. Getting diagnosed with something like this in your adult hood is weirdly....okay? It's more of a confirmation of a sneaking suspicion than a damning accusation.

Getting medical grade amphetamines has been...a loving eyeopener. My mother told me that during my initial diagnosis with ASD, the doctor was convinced I had ADD and wanted to give me ritalin (as was the fashion in the early 00s). Now that I'm actually on Ritalin, gently caress. Is this what normal people feel like? Maybe not, but not being absolutely crippled with decision anxiety has been just peachy.

We have a thread for that.

I got the ADD and my brother got the ASD, but of course he got diagnosed as a kid and I didn't until I was 26. He still likes to eye-rollingly gripe about "ugh, neurotypicals" (meaning me) and it's all I can do to not kick him in the shins.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

I'm curious how you folks feel about this article about Encanto being an accidental representation of being autistic in a NT family.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Pththya-lyi posted:

I like it fine! As the article points out, there's a lot of cases where storytellers accidentally create a character that resonates with a marginalized group. It's practically an autistic pastime to pick out characters who are definitely autistic, even if the author probably didn't intend to make an autistic character. (For example, some people read Elle Woods from Legally Blonde as an autistic woman who successfully mastered the subculture she grew up in, struggles to switch to the norms of a different subculture, but succeeds by using her intelligence, hyperfocus, and special interests to her advantage.) As for Encanto, I haven't seen it, but I can relate to the "extreme empathy" the article describes and to the experience of being surrounded by people who love you but don't know how to support you.

I'm not autistic, but I'm the sibling to someone who is, and a lot of us in the sibling community really resonated with one of the songs. It's a very sweet and well-made movie with some excellent songs. I really recommend it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQwVKr8rCYw

Also I love that read of Legally Blonde.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

If any of you are into romance novels, I just read one with an autistic protagonist for my job at a student disability group. We started up a book club and this was the first pick. It's a smutty book but talks a lot about the autistic experience. The students I've talked to really liked the representation.

Check it out if you're into this sort of thing! Always Only You.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

If any Canadians want help getting the Disability Tax Credit or a Registered Disability Savings Plan, hit me up in PMs. Got a couple folks in the ADHD thread sorted out, so wanted to offer here too. No fee.

It drives me a bit crazy how few people access those resources when so many qualify.