Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

kimbo305 posted:

Guessing it's a true cognate from Italian that is uncommon but they think it's common.

Basically this. Almost 100% sure they just had a guy look up 'planimetria' in an Italian->English dictionary. I'm assuming it's a common word in Italian, but its English cognate absolutely isn't.

I see this all the time teaching ESL students.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Lol if Mitchelton and Trek gently caress this and hand GC over to Rosskopf.

Edit: Bah, the break simply just disintegrated.

Lyndon LaRouche fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 26, 2020

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

TobinHatesYou posted:

WWT got cancelled foe the rest of 2020 and the men's tour should probably do the same in the next few days.

RIP pro cycling as we know it. When it comes back it's gonna look very, very different.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

LoudPipesSaveLives posted:

Are there any indications that the new season is going to go ahead as planned? I'm trying to decide if I get the sports tv package back on (first world problems) but cycling is the only thing I really would be getting it for.
I just can't tell if Europe is stable enough yet. They're not melting down like USA but the sporadic outbreaks and local lockdowns must be causing some concern with the governing bodies.

Strafe Bianche is still on for August 1. I think we are going to get racing at least for a while. If there is an outbreak within a team or the whole peloton though? Lol.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

serious gaylord posted:

Only lasting damage will be the loss of all of his teeth.

:stare:

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
You couldn't write better parody than real life in 2020.

https://twitter.com/ElManillarCOL/status/1299775147340165124

The peloton can have a little detergent on already slick roads, as a treat.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Holy gently caress was all I could think seeing all those fans, many of whom ran unmasked alongside the riders.

If they don't loving protest that poo poo then this tour deserves to die.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

:smith::hf::smith:

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

serious gaylord posted:

The likelihood of France going into a total lockdown again is sky rocketing. I will be very surprised if they finish the tour.

Almost 10,000 new cases yesterday, which was a record. Second rest day is gonna be RIP for le Tour.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I'm sure nobody took advantage of the lockdown in any untoward ways.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I think Jumbo needs to find another tactic besides murder train if they want to put Pogacar to the sword. Yes, Pogacar gets isolated as a result, but it doesn't matter a loving bit when he can pretty easily come over Roglic at the end and take time or bonus seconds. Roglic is clearly afraid to attack Pogacar too early, because I guarantee Pogacar would counter-attack a completely isolated Roglic. Come on Jumbo, send Sepp up the road and give him a flyer to either win the stage or serve as a bridge for Roglic to safely attack Pogacar.

If Pogacar can just chip a few more seconds the next couple stages then he doesn't even need to launch a big attack. Hell, status quo is probably fine. I really think he can grab the current gap in seconds from Roglic in the TT.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Wow, as a team Jumbo completely hosed that up. Biggest team cock-up I've ever witnessed in my lifetime, that's for sure. I thought Jumbo needed to use their strengths way more tactically and aggressively than what they showed us. Pogz was without any teammates around him for a majority of this race. Even if we grant that Pogz is absolutely doped up to the loving gills, the amount of riders Jumbo had up front day after day should have been able to attack up the road and put him under way more pressure. Maybe Pogz could have covered every single attack, but Jumbo simply didn't try. They were clearly happy with holding a roughly 45' to 60' gap because they were thinking, "oh there is no way there can be this much difference between Pogz and Rogz on that last ITT". Hell, even I thought that that amount of time was unassailable so what the gently caress am I even droning on about here?

It just goes to show that anything can loving happen in an ITT at the end of a grand tour, and when you have a team as strong as Jumbo you can't take any lead for granted. Use your team's strength and put everyone else to the sword and claw out so much time that when the unexpected does happen, you have the buffer to withstand it.

Also :unsmith: to Richie.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Feels Villeneuve posted:

time to get pumped for the traditional post-TDF race, La Fleche Wallonne

And the World Championships.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Dejan Bimble posted:

espn, bleacher report, theringer, I didn't see a mention of the race until the last day. I wish they would have put ads somewhere

This is America. If you wanna watch this Eurotrash sport you gotta put in the work yourself. There is this obscure TV network called NBC that you've probably never heard of that you could start paying attention to at the start of summer.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

serious gaylord posted:

Really is bizarre and I hope someone asks Wout in an interview why he didnt help close Alaphilippe down straight away instead of sitting up and giving him 15 seconds of a buffer.

Did he honestly think any of those riders would drag him back?

Apparently according to Belgian Twitter, Roglic should have collaborated with Wout since they're trade teammates (isn't that against the UCI rules for worlds anyway?), and they're acting like Roglic stabbed him in the back.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Griefor posted:

We're also just deeper into the second wave. But I'm not convinced the Tour was a 100% safe totally responsible thing to do. There were huge crowds and there was zero mask compliance and distancing.

It can be argued that the Tour helped spoke the latest outbreak in France. Go figure a sport that caravans across an entire country would be exceptionally good at picking up and spreading a pandemic along the way.

RIP Giro. It's bullshit that best grand tour is getting hosed like this, but maybe doing sports in the middle of a pandemic outside an extreme NBA-style bubble is also bullshit.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

peanut- posted:

Is there any other sport where the athletes go on strike at the start line

The NBA did.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

African AIDS cum posted:

It was a 4chan prank on the media and instead of admitting they got pranked they just started saying everyone doing the sign is a nazi

Funny how all nazis and proud boys and white supremacists are seemingly pranking themselves then. :thunk:

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Feels Villeneuve posted:

really the tactical mistake is "don't enter a grand tour with Wilco Kelderman as your GC rider"

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Glad to see the UCI implementing all of this rider safety poo poo that no-one in the peloton asked for.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Pedersen owes Asgreen a few Carlsbergs (or whatever Danish people actually drink) for that one.

Edit: Seriously though, why did Asgreen bury himself there if not for a temporary Danish national alliance?

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Komet posted:

This documentary of "The Vegan Cyclist" and local (to me) MTB pro, Jeremiah Bishop, doing the Impossible Route in Death Valley was just released 45 minutes ago, if you want to take a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgl-3INWMgA

Vegan Cyclist can gently caress off.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
I feel better about some of my own dumb crashes now. :unsmith:

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Viva il Giro and all and I'm quite enjoying the racing thus far, but also gently caress Israel's apartheid and settler colonialism and I hope the whole ISN team crashes out. Free Palestine.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/TourDeJose/status/1395036917025083394?s=20

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Abolish best young riders classification and make a new one for best rider over the age of 25.

I do wonder though, how many of these young stars will burn the gently caress out physically and mentally before they hit 30.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Pog's not in yellow but he's already won the Tour.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/EFprocycling/status/1414783743647174661?s=20

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

algebra testes posted:

Bring on the Vuelta, Giro Lombardia and Paris Roubaix!

Not feeling confident the Olympic road race even gonna happen eh? :roflolmao:

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

peanut- posted:

Also that the Olympic road race starts at 3am UK time wtf

Thank gently caress that the loving Euros have to deal with live racing happening while they sleep for a change. The whole thing will go down during prime time here in Hawaii.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
The cicadas are so loud on the commentary-free stream. :japan:

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Richard Carapaz was a national hero before with the Giro win, and bonafide national legend now with the gold medal.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Pogz should still thank Wout for the bronze, because Wout made a heroic chase to bring everyone else back to a shot at silver.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

African AIDS cum posted:

Well thats the only olympics poo poo ill be watching

Watch the women's road race ffs.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/DeGendtThomas/status/1418837033305481219?s=20

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Japan loves cycling. They absolutely should get a WT race on the back of this.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
At least Japan isn't a country filled with Anglos, and that bodes well for the future of cycling there.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Spoiler the Dutch win

:thunk:

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Spoiler the Dutch win

Does it count if they think they won?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Maybe training in Colombia is a bad idea.