Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Dawn on the first day!

- 745 hours remain until Brexit -

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

He'll simply gain the powers of the rich, the "means", if you will, of production.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

https://twitter.com/Reporter_Dan/status/1182592300888838145?s=19

Starting to be able to tell when there's an XR flash mob going down by the sudden appearance of TSG vans speeding up Piccadilly.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

ThomasPaine posted:

Honestly if someone told me I could give up the PhD and never work again and never have to think about anything remotely close to my area of expertise and just drink beer and play videogames and jerk off I'd take them up on it in an instant

Yeah but you're doing a PhD, so the voice says one thing but the brain has repeatedly actively chosen the other.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

They're not, the press is just heavily invested in the whole thing seeming like grand drama rather than mediocre idiocy.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Gort posted:

The working time directive as implemented always struck me as being useless - any employer can just make you opt out of it, and fire you for whatever reason they like if you don't.

You'll be excited to hear that Britain specifically demanded the opt-out, and until the global crash was the only country where it was significantly in use.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It's like the inverse Trump, "Corbyn's lack of political savvy has inescapably doomed us this time! *Corbyn deftly outmanoeuvers opponents* Ah! Well, nevertheless,"

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

We're not past the danger, but it's good news. Any amount more time to consider the deal is more time in which Johnson's ridiculous coalition of different lies can collapse in.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

sexpig by night posted:

so does this mean he's gonna stop being squishy about labour people voting for the brexit bill if he's calling it a failure and acknowledging the law was followed despite the weird attempt to force a court case?

seems pretty straightforward that everything about the labour MPs voting for the deal didn't matter because they knew the vote would be pulled if letwin passed.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Itzena posted:

XR glued themselves on top of electrically-driven public transport; they're either morons or subverted.

They did a whole bunch of actions; unfair to tar them all with the one that was clearly agent provocateurs.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Angrymog posted:

I thought it was an overground train they tried to glue themselves to.

e: re: JRM's son, that's got to be some sort of child abuse, surely?

It's an above-ground tube station.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Mokotow posted:

Why would you have an overground section on something called the “Underground” what’s wrong with you people nnngh

TfL publish a map which shows how much of the underground is, underground: http://content.tfl.gov.uk/tube-map-with-tunnels.pdf

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Braggart posted:

Nah, anyone will have been able to have done it. A proper leader of the opposition would have become king by that point. Too little too late, Jeremy.

Corbyn should be sending his own letters to the EU :galaxybrain:

https://twitter.com/bengoldacre/status/1185841923464089600?s=19

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I assumed it was some contortion of "consider a perfectly spherical cow", implying pseudo-intellectual economic/political thinking.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Pesmerga posted:

This thread gets very defensive whenever there is criticism of Corbyn, but despite having so many great policies, he’s also made some substantial blunders, and has been disappointing in some respects. Particularly with regard to how he’s handling Labour rebels on this issue, as well as not getting idiots like Barry ‘Modi is my BFF’ Gardiner out of the shadow cabinet.

"this issue" is literally happening right now, how can the approach be disappointing before we see the actual effect of it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

josh04 posted:

It's like the inverse Trump, "Corbyn's lack of political savvy has inescapably doomed us this time! *Corbyn deftly outmanoeuvers opponents* Ah! Well, nevertheless,"

Ho hum.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

namesake posted:

It's getting glossed over now but it's all ammunition for attacking his abilities and honesty as Prime Minister in the next election. People will be looking for reasons to dislike him and break for the Brexit Party or the Lib Dems so getting him to continually fail on promises is good.

Honestly it actually is okay, the rebels are known and can now be worked on behind the scenes without being being a LABOUR PURGE AGAINST BREXIT or whatever.

Seems pretty straightforward that Jezza made a deal to allow MPs from leave areas to vote yes on the second reading so long as they voted down the timetable.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Pesmerga posted:

Seems to me that if the 19 Labour rebels had voted with the Labour Party, then the WA Bill would have been voted down.

And if the fourteen MPs who rebelled on the WA Bill then voted against the timetable had instead rebelled on both, say because they were already being kicked out of the party so who cares what the whip says, then both would have passed.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

If you disagree, feel free to explain why.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

peanut- posted:

The Labour MPs have completely hosed this right? I don’t believe this isn’t exactly the outcome Johnson wanted.

He now gets an election where he’s both the man who delivered a Brexit agreement and had it stymied by the enemy-of-the-people Parliament. He gets to have his cake and eat it.

But it wasn't stymied, which is what Pesmerga et al are so wound up about. Parliament voted to take the bill to a second reading and the government are now sitting on it to prevent it from progressing.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Brony Car posted:

You guys like women, right? Hillary Clinton is available and looking for work.

And she's in London in just the right timeframe!

https://twitter.com/policyatkings/status/1186656419917029377

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

BBC News has another extremely weird article about the Royals on the front page, where they explain at length in the manner of a mob enforcer how Prince Harry gunning for the press is undoubtedly going to ruin his life and turn his brother against him.

quote:

The cameras and flashbulbs won't disappear now that Harry has said that they remind him of the worst side of his mother's life.

The newspaper columnists who have poured bile over the duke and duchess for so many months aren't going to change their ways because Meghan says that Britain's best-selling newspapers have not been fair.

And the scrutiny of the couple - which has revealed some degree of say-one-thing, do-another - is not going to go away. In fact, it will probably increase

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50154033

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

If you don't think the Goldfinger-designed towers are extremely cool then I don't know what to say.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

kyojin posted:

I can't even remember what boatchat was about it's been so long.

Boatchat was about the class character of rowing, I believe.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

The Deputy Political Editor of the Times is surely just presenting facts as they happened. It's a waste of time getting mad about anything reported on twitter that doesn't come from a direct linked source, because otherwise its going to be anywhere between a reaching misinterpretation and an outright fabrication, a la that "every single Labour MP will surely vote against a general election" that people were getting wound up about last night.

e: my god, who could have predicted:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1187269621440765952?s=19

She's just stating Labour's position: willing to debate the bill, election otherwise. Shocker.

josh04 fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 24, 2019

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

If none of the source are named and on the record, it's may as well be no sources. It may as well be a hot tip from Dom Cummies himself.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

If I were a cynic, I might suggest that Labour is deliberately letting those interviews descend into unintelligible gibberish to neuter the effect of a hostile press; it's hard to imagine anyone not looking for an excuse to post "Rebecca Wrong Daily" in replies on twitter coming away with anything other than utter bafflement.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

gh0stpinballa posted:

someone mentioned mark fisher earlier and one thing i've been thinking about lately is how after the brief rush of vindication when you call something right - this time it was extinction rebellion being an op - afterwards, it's just depressing to think there doesn't seem to be any escape from it. everything gets co opted and shaped towards the aims of capital.

If you're looking for and finding reasons to mentally check off every counter-capitalist effort then you're doing capital's work for it. From the Essay Which Must Not Be Named:

quote:

One of the things that broke me out of this depressive stupor was going to the People’s Assembly in Ipswich, near where I live. The People’s Assembly had been greeted with the usual sneers and snarks. This was, we were told, a useless stunt, in which media leftists, including Jones, were aggrandising themselves in yet another display of top-down celebrity culture. What actually happened at the Assembly in Ipswich was very different to this caricature. The first half of the evening – culminating in a rousing speech by Owen Jones – was certainly led by the top-table speakers. But the second half of the meeting saw working class activists from all over Suffolk talking to each other, supporting one another, sharing experiences and strategies. Far from being another example of hierarchical leftism, the People’s Assembly was an example of how the vertical can be combined with the horizontal: media power and charisma could draw people who hadn’t previously been to a political meeting into the room, where they could talk and strategise with seasoned activists. The atmosphere was anti-racist and anti-sexist, but refreshingly free of the paralysing feeling of guilt and suspicion which hangs over left-wing twitter like an acrid, stifling fog.

Yes, XR is immature and almost certainly compromised. But where is the left, that must be doing so well to be able to discount out-of-hand popular large-scale anti-capitalist action?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

OwlFancier posted:

Do people with regular finger function struggle with cufflinks?

You've gotta hold the cufflink, both pieces of shirt, thread them and operate the cufflink, all with one hand (because the other's in the cuff). It's certainly fiddly, especially if you don't do it often.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Shocked, shocked to see this turn by a committed free speech warrior.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Free speech is when only nazis are allowed to speak at universities.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

My emoji claim to fame is this bad first draft of : clegg :

And Clegg's little shrunken head which I think was used by whoever did the final thing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah, I think that’s under “support”. If you think you might be in the wrong group once you get contacted, just let them know and they’ll sort you out.

Do you know much of what the video clipping team is doing?