Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

quote:

Boris Johnson is to attempt a last-ditch charm offensive on EU leaders to get a Brexit deal over the line, after delivering his proposals for a new withdrawal agreement to Brussels as early as the end of this week.

With EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier viewed in Downing Street as a stickler for rules who will be hard to shift from the deal struck with Theresa May, Mr Johnson is keen to speak with key European leaders who may be ready to show flexibility ahead of the crunch Brussels summit on 17 October.

Plans were made to fly the prime minister to the funeral of ex-president Jacques Chirac for talks in the margins with sympathetic leaders, but it was decided the opportunity did not justify breaking off his attendance at the Conservative conference in Manchester.

hello charm offensive boris please keep your hands on the table at all times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This is, what, his seventh last ditch charm offensive?

can't expect a 100% pick up rate from the old thigh squeeze

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tesseraction posted:

"I'll show you, but only if you promise not to laugh." https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1179366597066182656

yeah bet he'll find lots of various EU leaders eager to relieve barnier of responsibility for brexit lmao

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Junior G-man posted:

It's just so loving bad. This doesn't have a hope in hell if it's anything like what's been proposed.

BoJo did it in his speech as well - 4 years of Irish Sea border because by then the technology fairy will have worked its magic.

this is him trying to force a vonc or something? at least it might put an end to the ~negotiations~ i guess

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Say what you like about Boris but he’s a smart, funny & charming guy, and his relentlessly positive message is a blessed relief after all the doom-and-gloom Remoaning.

If he can deliver Brexit, he’ll be a national hero. We’re all sick of this pathetic partisan farce.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
broke brains keeping me from work for a while so i've been out foraging for mushrooms a lot as a constructive distraction. yesterday's harvest:

From leftish: Hydnum Repandum, the pale spiny mushroom is what we call it. Next: golden glorious Cantharellus Cibarius, not many still out in the forest but if I see one in the forest and leave it there, it's gotta be a pretty miserable chanterelle. In grayish-brown: a few Craterellus Tubaeformis and in black-gray its close relative C. Cornucopioides. Particularly pleased that I've started finding some of those black beauties, sniffing out their hiding places under old gnarly oaks and other leafy trees

Biggest concern right now is my freezer is literally full and I'm gonna head out picking more again today. Anyway if you're not into mushrooms feel free to skip this post it's mostly about mushrooms

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ratjaculation posted:

I love a foraging post. I wish I knew more about edible mushrooms. So you can have a video of an earthstar I made at work

https://i.imgur.com/YSr5Eab.mp4

It basically disperses its spores when it is disturbed, by rain drops, animals or idiots with sticks.

I spent this morning look very carefully at hundreds of nuts in the woods... hazelnuts to be precise, checking chew marks to see if there is evidence of dormice about... work work work...

Ah, looks like a Lycoperdon perlatum. if so, it's actually edible when young and tender, though not generally considered a top tier shroom

Necrothatcher posted:

I love this super chilled out yet potentially lethal hobby.

It requires a small bit of research to be sure, but lots of good food shrooms like the ones in that pic don't have any real poisonous lookalikes. If you teach yourself chanterelles (Cantharellus and Craterellus species), porcini/penny buns and relatives (Boletus and Leccinium species) and a handful other random and easily identified good food shrooms (i.e Hydnum repandum, Sparassis crispa, Macrolepiota procera, Morchella Conica and a few others, you can widen your repertoire successively), and also read up a bit on the half-dozen or so lethally poisonous mushrooms, you can confidently go out to the forest and fill your larder without any real risk of bringing home a poisonous shroom. Things only get genuinely complicated when identifying Agaricus and some other more boutique shrooms

If anyone's interested here's a google translate link of the best swedish shroom page, where they link poisonous lookalikes (if any) and stuff. The trivial names don't translate well or at all, but it's a good resource for planning a foraging vacation in Sweden or hereabouts

e: changed that link to bing translate because google translate made links stop working. It's messed up though, it translates Champinjon (Agaricus species) into Mushroom which isn't even close to appropriate. I guess you don't have useful trivial names for all the different shrooms? Anyway the Latin names are correct

e2: except when it translates Agaricus sylvicola into Agaricus wikipedia lmao

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Oct 3, 2019

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Ratjaculation posted:

The folds have fallen off, so its not too clear but we had it down as a Geastrum triplex, a quick google says its edible but almost entirely unenjoyable. I'll mail you one!

that's one spaced-out shroom that i wasn't even aware of. freaky stuff

but yeah don't mail me an envelope filled with spores or it'll probably lead to a country somewhere getting invaded

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Jose posted:

The only acceptable mushroom foraging is for magic mushrooms

this is genuinely the worst post on the internet im fuming

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

duckmaster posted:

So they’ve decided they don’t want to pay their fair share of the costs incurred by the shopping centres to maintain and run said shopping centres? A shopping centres lights don’t just stay on by magic and the staff (security, cleaning, maintenance, marketing, HR etc) don’t work for the love of the job.

I’ve decided I’m a bit broke this month so I’m not paying my council tax. But I still want my bins emptied. I wonder what my council will make of that.....

what if the charges aren't fair though :thunk:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
gently caress but boris johnson is atrocious why did every single one of you vote for him

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

I'd just poison the game community with my fungal pedantry or something.

I dunno much about morels though, I've never found any. The closest I've got is this absolute beauty of a Gyromitra Esculenta,

which, depending on cultural factors, is either a very good food shroom or highly poisonous, or both. I think it's technically called a false morel in english maybe

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

That Italian Guy posted:

His name is Obi and he likes to turn carrots into confetti.

Also he is been knocked out by whatever the vet gave him :shroom:

this is an excellent dog

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Chuka Umana posted:

Britain is leaving the European Union in three weeks.

We should plan a special event for this thread on Halloween, I still suggest a group watch of Threads.

Turns out Donald Tusk chose that date to make an excellent joke about Project Fear

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

AceOfFlames posted:

So there's not going to be an extension request? It seems as if there should be a bigger uproar.

there will be, but not one that keeps britain in after october

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

Farmers might but what makes you think local authorities are going to know that the official looking tree planting isn't supposed to be there? Someone who knows where the sewer main is won't think the trees are their job, someone who knows about trees probably won't know where the sewer main is, and the odds of either of them paying attention are slim. It's not like either group is likely to be patrolling looking for rogue arborealists.

"I don't know who's responsible but it's probably not me" is a powerful axiom.

Like at work I regularly walk into places I've never been before with no ID and no prior booking and nobody gives a poo poo, as long as you look like you know what you're doing. It's always someone else's problem.

Trees are great at planting themselves. if there's no trees growing at some place there's a decent chance it's because somebody cuts them down

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

Office and educational furniture is a huge markup scam.

something something html

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
because it's a markup language you see

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
gently caress but i'm depressed.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
the most restrained clothing is none imo

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
loving graunian waddling on about "johnson's deal". It's not a loving deal, it's not a loving result of negotiation. it's just "lemme tell you how ireland should work" by fat english white male

fucksakes

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
hello i figured out a great new thread relevant own i think you'll get a lot of mileage out of it

here it is

"i seem to have lost my brainspiders. have u seen them??

also

more importantly

haven't you" :smuggo:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
please feel free to use it until it becomes unfunny, and also after that

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
i don't at all regret i wasted that pinnacle of clever on a bottom page snipe which is why i'm so graceful about it

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

WhatEvil posted:

You are unbelievably tedious.

yeah in other threads i tend to stand out

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

accusations of being anti-semantic tend to be counterproductive

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

quote:

Frances Crook, the chief executive of the Howard League for Penal Reform,

lmao

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

what the gently caress

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
this isn't a good brexit deal really though is it

I mean boris says it is. but i dunno

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

superLINUS posted:

Where’s my free podcast that I do absolutely nothing to help produce?!?

do you want an exhaustive list

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

endlessmonotony posted:

The whole internet hates Milkshake Goose, an rear end in a top hat of a goose that steals milkshakes.

*5 seconds later*

... we have to inform you the goose used the milkshake to ruin a fascist's suit.

lol

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Brony Car posted:

So somehow Boris Johnson is close to being able to get the deal passed? It sounds like the margins are going to be tight. Is there nothing in the deal to justify an MP in a “Leave” district voting against the deal?

It sounds like the “People versus Parliament” pitch has been effective.

There's rather a lot in this deal that any MP could object to if they'd want to. It's pretty much just ~hard brexit~ with a transition period first and some special rules for NI, there's nothing in it that matches Labour's stated brexit priorities

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

well now we know what david cameron calls his penis

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

namesake posted:

Well that'd be the horrendous disruption period in a no deal with all kinds of emergency measures getting enforced to keep the power structure intact so yeah?

A controlled exit and reasserting democratic accountability and control of the economy is the best outcome.

The DUP should not decide who rules Britain. MPs should vote for Johnson’s deal, and those who dislike its details should save their fight for the transition. Exit now would at last draw the Brexit poison from daily politics. It would lift the threat of no deal, and hopefully open the door to a calmer negotiation of Britain’s European future. It is time, surely, to end this agony.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Vlex posted:

Source your quotes

i honestly can't tell the gray white males apart

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

Exit now would at last draw the Brexit poison from daily politics. It would lift the threat of no deal, and hopefully open the door to a calmer negotiation of Britain’s European future. It is time, surely, to end this agony.

As I wrote in November, what is needed is a national narrative to explain how Brexit has led to this, and what the alternatives could be. This was the case with the referendum: if there had been only one referendum about leaving the EU, there would have been one single explanation.

Instead, our country has two referendums, and each involves a wide range of questions. The first was about leaving the EU. It was a referendum on the "remain" option, not on any of the alternatives. The second was about what kind of future Britain should build. Both are complex, not least because the EU is itself complex. It is a vast entity with many institutions and rules, whose members are not just European but also, in many respects, different. It is not a simple trade deal with the EU:

is this a markov chain

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

WhatEvil posted:

Well we found out who Pissflaps' alt is pretty quick.

sup bro

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
really though, i'm surprised any labour mp would find boris brexit appealing, it doesn't even have the pretense of regulatory alignment and not racing to the bottom that may's deal did

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
lmao at the ERG calling themselves spartans though, it's like they're exploring the outer limits of wank. yeesh :rolleyes:

I'd pay good money not to see that 300 remake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Vitamin P posted:

The old truism that a dictator negotiates better than a democrat has 100% held true this whole episode, when Johnson did his YOLO negotiation style and suggested he legit didn't give a poo poo about having no democratic mandate he has the power gently caress you, suddenly the deal that the EU said for almost a year was inviolate and couldn't be changed did get changed. Just like the original deal was pro-EU because T-May had to answer to a democracy and the EU didn't so the EU was stronger.

You're absolutely right that Boris being shameless has benefitted him. The left-wing critique of the EU hinges entirely on the question that where exactly is the point that the EU is even able to feel shame or democratic response? Where is the culpability and is there a specific interruption point in its processes? Hint it's nowhere, the EU is poo poo.

That's quite the take. Whose interests has the EU violated in dictatorial rampage when negotiating either of these deals?