Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 36 minutes!
Can't wait for Brexit 2!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation
Now I'm imagining Brexit Party coming out as republican.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation
Bro, you posted brainspiders! You are going to gain retweets!

91 is the maximum amount of brainspiders you can have.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation
Ain't no Party like an S Club Party 🤔

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation

Rust Martialis posted:

Canadian here, All-Dressed potato chips from Ruffles.

You have ketchup chips so I automatically discount any Canadian crisp opinions

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation

Gonzo McFee posted:

Snack chat is boring as gently caress and consists almost entirely of the exact same people stating their exact same preference for the exact same snacks every time it comes up for pages at a time.

Banned in December and replaced with best sweet tin chocolate.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm not really sure if the Irish Monster Munch are at all relate to the UK ones and not arsed finding out, but happy to read all crisp opinions

I've only eaten Irish Monster Munch and they're real good.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation

Failed Imagineer posted:

they are, op. Banshee Bones too, but not sure if they exist anymore

I've not seen them in years. I assume they're gone now.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation
I've been told my worst Irish crisp opinion is that I really enjoy Snax. They're good don't @ me. :colbert:

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation

MrFlibble posted:

I blocked our idiot king when I went on one about Epsteins death and then unblocked him once I calmed down. Remains the only person I have unblocked.

Also, I didn't realise the UKMT had an IK. I thought it had a workers council.

Idiot Kouncil

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation

Rust Martialis posted:

UKMT's resident ex-Torontonian here to explain that's the call-in number for his talk show on radio station CFRB AM 1010. He's the mayor of Toronto.

Also ex-Torontonian here, this post is a lie and John Tory is a nonce.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation

Ratjaculation posted:

All TV is poo poo, except Simpsons s2-s8.

I watched TV for the first time in a while, and in Northern Ireland, and I was taken aback by an Amazon advert which was like "come and visit our warehouses! We don't mistreat our workers! :)"

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure he's a strategic genius as much as he just stands mostly still and lets everyone else fall over each other trying to knock him down.

Imagine I posted that one politics cartoon of Corbyn seeing off opponents.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation
I'm taking solace that the Liberals got in over the Conservatives. I want to move back to Canada in about two years and want that process to be as easy as possible. Would have far preferred the NDP to get in though.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation

Failed Imagineer posted:

We called that thing "bready-egg-with-a-hole-in-the-middle" when I was a kid, no joke. But then, Cork people have always been extremely literal.

https://twitter.com/Royal__Yellow/status/1077652610923094018?s=19

My partner from Manchester was over last week and they got a chip butty from a chip shop. They were amused and delighted that they were given it in a baguette and not two slices of bread. I was surprised they would assume that a chip shop would just serve that!

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

:confused: A butty is very specifically two slices of buttered bread, as in a regular sandwich, what maniac would make a chip butty with a longbread?

I keep thinking that I want to go back and visit the South again sometimes, but at times like this I just don't know.

Someone with taste :colbert:

I've never ordered a chip butty that wasn't served in a baguette and I would rather I keep it that way.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation

Libluini posted:

Aren't British chips what we Westerners call fries? :psyduck: Why would you serve fries on bread? This is so weird, the culture shock makes me reeling.

I'm going to make it worse for you.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation
I'm dying that they keep trying to make coins to mark brexit.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation

ThomasPaine posted:

That said some branches are. XR Scotland are very good and directly @'d the London lot lol

E: case in point

https://twitter.com/ScotlandXr/status/1185587030773907456?s=19

Glad to see this. The Irish leftist parties are throwing their entire weight behind XR without criticism and it's so frustrating to see.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation

kustomkarkommando posted:

I think it's important to remember when discussing abortion policy in NI that SF, often seen as our most progressive party by GB commentators, only changed their official policy on abortion to support the availability of abortion services for fatal foetal abnormalities in 2015 and didn't actually fully endorse the reform programme south of the border until after the referendum via a special conference - the drive for reform is a relatively new thing here

Additionally, there was a slight split in the party on this topic. Peadar Tóblín, a TD in ROI, left the party and set up a(nother) conservative Republican party, Aontú. They're polling 0-1% in ROI, but last I checked they had some representation in local government on both ends due to defections from both Sinn Fein and SDLP

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation

crispix posted:

I worry that it's only a matter of time before a hard right party comes along in Ireland to pull in all those who are outraged about abortion and gay marriage. As someone who is no stranger to rural parts, there is a lot of hatred and fear out there waiting for some shithead to come along and capitalise on.

Literally today I had to take down (for the second time) National Party propaganda in my college. Apparently it's a coordinated attempt at plastering all third level institutions with these posters. They don't have a national presence at the moment and usually their demonstrations are counter-protested.

Aontú won't manage much because of how decisive the abortion referendum was. Of course there are die-hard anti-choice people, but many people in my experience who are pro-life have either changed their thinking or say "I'm still personally against it but the majority is for it" in a serious manner.

I think if any party is going to take a hard right turn it's going to be Fianna Fail once Martin is out as leader. They have a lot of social conservatives sitting in the Dail. Fine Gael have that section of libertarian/free-speech kind of conservatives in the same vein as most of the YouTube right now, but there is a lot of criticism of that section where there is little in Fianna Fail.

Edit: I don't think it will come about any time soon. Maybe in a decade or two, but it isn't politically imminent. I believe that the immense trauma from Catholic Ireland is too fresh and too strong to allow an argument that going back to traditional values is a good thing. My grandmother, a social conservative who walked up to RTE cameras to complain about them asking questions about Sean Brady's involvement in covering up child abuse just a few years ago and would turn off the television if someone gay was on recently came out entirely in support of Repeal. No idea what her views are on LGBT issues though and I don't want to find out, for fear she hasn't updated that far.

Skull Servant fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 24, 2019

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation

sebzilla posted:

Majority of 18.

Are Lib Dems still abstaining on everything? Could have passed it if so.

Liberals won't want government intervention in housing. Perfectly in line with their ideology.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation

ronya posted:

Here we go here we go here we go.

Last election:

Where we stand, presently

Both graphs from Wikipedia

I love that CUKTIG nosedived harder than Farage

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation
I just realised I booked a visit to my partner across the Brexit deadline. Here's hoping that all the talk about the CTA not being impacted actually holds true if there is a crash out on Halloween.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation

feedmegin posted:

Hang on, surely the CTA still applied? As Irish citizens they still had every right to be there?

CTA only provides right for movement and work, not citizenship. Without citizenship it's easy to be discriminated against because you're outside the system.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation
https://twitter.com/business/status/1188916574113140737?s=19

:rip:

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation

I won't!

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation

WhatEvil posted:

Got my first paycheque from my new job in Canada today. An actual paper cheque, and I'm getting paid weekly. And this is a permanent position. :psyduck:

Anyway I chucked £100 at Labour.

Get the gently caress in lads and lasses and NBs.

This was so weird. My first two jobs there were paid by cheques that I had to cash myself. It's just a thing there I guess?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation

WhatEvil posted:

Mm well my wife is getting paid by direct deposit but yeah, I'm working for a smaller company I suppose?

I think it's just relatively common. I remember expressing my disbelief that a local shop in Ireland paid into my bank account but a restaurant chain handed me a cheque to my Canadian roommates. They both said that it was the standard!

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation
Does anyone have a link to the tweet that's like "David Cameron announced that his government murdered 20 people. Should Jeremy Corbyn step down?"

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation
If Bercow is standing down today, what happens to the Speaker? Will he still be acting Speaker until a new one is chosen or will the last few days be dedicated to all parties attempting and failing to appoint a replacement?

I recall that the attempts to stop the abortion and equal marriage laws in Stormont the other week were thwarted by there not being an official speaker to conduct the session. Will it be similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009
Probation
Made this lovely edit and thought the thread would like it