Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Oh lord I'm not sure I can take another month.

Saying that, what even is happening in parliament right now? Are they doing stuff or waiting for the Tory conference to be over? When do we get to see Boris attempt another PMQs, fail miserably and the guardian to call it a draw??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Lord Ludikrous posted:

My former line manager is one of those very middle class and middle aged women, with a very haughty and judgemental air about her and married to a man two decades older than she is. An entire wall in her office was completely covered in printouts of those godawful inspirational quotes (compete with jpeg compression artefacts). Basically Maude Flanders, and I think I would have genuinely offended her if I had ever used the mildest of profanity.

So lunch had been ordered in as an external visitor was onsite and the conversation turned to TV shows - specifically The Bodyguard. From there she got onto her soapbox and made it known that she didn’t like the show because it had sex in it, and that she can’t stand any sex in any show regardless of how mild it is because it’s unnecessary and teaches “the children” bad morals. She hates the character of the Home Secretary in The Bodyguard not because she is a power hungry tyrant in the making eager to trample on everyone’s civil liberties, but because she sleeps with her bodyguard. I should point out for those who’ve not seen the show that the HS is very traumatised having just survived an attempt on her life and gives in during a moment of vulnerability with her bodyguard, who is having trouble at home. The scene is not explicit in the slightest.

It is apparently all down to “what we are teaching the children these days”. She also hates this “politically correct obsession of depicting equal numbers of women in high up positions compared to men when it’s not realistic.”

Jebus, I know not having a job sucks and all but can you imagine having to work with someone as insufferable as that for more than a week? I feel very lucky to have largely worked in public sector type jobs where having the darkest, blackest sense of humour is the primary coping mechanism. Also I have zero ability to manage my facial expressions and am 100% sure that I would also have been sacked for the look of utter disgust and bemusement I shot her way even if I managed to keep my mouth shut.

Good luck getting yer old job back for now!

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

On matters not pertaining to crispchat, where are we in the timeline of when Boris is supposed to send the letter about no-no-deal to the EU? That’s gotta be this week right?

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Pesmerga posted:

He has to send the letter if there’s no deal agreed by the Saturday sitting of parliament. That requires a deal concluded that is approved by the Commission and EU Council (Thursday and Friday this week) that is then approved by Parliament on Saturday. If it fails at either of those hurdles, he’s obliged to send it on the 19th.

Is anyone anywhere genuinely thinking that a deal will be reached now? I’m curious what people who voted leave thinking we’d strike some kind of deal are thinking now. Everything seems to have been taken over by no deal screeching though I’m not even sure where I’d find those people.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Worst PM delivers worst speech in keeping with established pattern of worstness isn't that earth shattering :v:

I think to be honest people are just bored of him, he's not even funny half the time, he's just noise.

What was anyone expecting? He’s been incompetent at everything he’s ever done to the point of being fired sometimes. Every speech he’s made as PM has been drivel but still the MSM will portray him as ‘delivering the will of the people’ or something...

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

WhatEvil posted:

Here's some politics:

This is actually a very illuminating picture that illustrates why people without a healthy critical eye think the way they do about the current situation if they scan the headlines.

BBC not actually providing any critique of the queens speech content just that it’s an election manifesto.

Brexit still being presented as a thing that’s seriously being negotiated and a possibility.

Labour in the headlines as being in conflict.

Takeaway: burn the bbc to the ground?

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Agh this makes me so mad, like she just blatantly says that JC is 'consorting' with antisemites. holocaust deniers and terrorists, that antisemitism has become 'mainstream' under JC. Is any of that actually true? Where is the evidence? How can she get away with just saying that stuff like it's 100% true? And if anyone questions it then we're the antisemitic ones right?

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Well gently caress you because we WON very BADLY and have no chance against any other teams because we suck so THERE.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

As shite and melty as Trudeau is, I'm glad the predictions of Conservative victory are proving false. If he's minority hopefully the NDP can be kingmakers and try to keep him honest. (Though in all fairness to blackface boy, what I've seen suggests he did make a sincere effort on most of his campaign promises, it's just... they could be more ambitious promises.)

And Netenyahu conceded he can't form a government, so the still shite, but distinctly less shite than Likud, Blue and White are able to take a swing at doing so.

Not the worst day, politically speaking.

Yeah it looks like a liberal NDP thing is the most likely. I'm sad that the liberals are the only real contender to Tories here though, I mean imagine if it was basically Tory Vs lib dem here?? Wouldn't motivate many people looking for change.

He did good on some of his promises but hosed over a lot of them like the pipeline and electoral reform, not minor things.

Also I am very upset at the last few pages as it's making me question whether my Welsh hatred of the England rugby team is actually cool and good, and I don't like it one bit.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

WhatEvil posted:

The NDP who are nominally the more left-wing party shifted right at the last election to try to take votes from the liberals, and it didn't work.

It is... not inspiring.

But still, at least Maxime Bernier can gently caress off.

NDP need a Corbs to pull things left.

It'll be depressing as hell when I am able to vote here and just have all these fucknugget options.

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Ms Adequate posted:

Where on earth are you? I've been to the arse end of nowhere, Montana, and barely even saw cash (Outside restaurants) because everything was contactless.

Even though I'm in Vancouver, a huge city, and most stuff you actually buy is by card/contactless, lots of stuff is still done by cheque. It's weird, although at least I'm paid by direct deposit.

In election focused chat, I think what might be really important is the ability to talk about and challenge the idea that the Lib Dems will just save everything and we'll remain in the EU and be rosy and lovely.

Anyone got any links or ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Hah ok yes but I've already seen a lot of 'well they'd never do that again they've learned their lesson!'

Maybe I just need a Twitter version of :clegg: