Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I just want to have it noted for the record that I made the final non-Guava post in last month's thread, which is about as high an achievement as my ruined life can hope for these days. Still, birthday tomorrow!

Angepain posted:

Absolutely smashingly! We're getting on with it and securing a great deal to deliver the brexit the people demanded. All is well and Great Britain is thriving. Rule Britannia! send help

*Blinks "send help" in Morse Code*

Kin posted:

Just called the hospital and the surgery went well. No complications.

I just feel tired now, nothing else.

Cameron Years on BBC1 is numbing my brain i think.

I'm very glad to hear this. I'm so sorry things worked out this way but I'm really happy everything went as 'well' as could be expected. Get what rest you can tonight. And Marx bless the NHS and the folks who work in it doing vital work right through the night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

If you want to know how wild the modern news cycle is, Jacques Chirac died FIVE DAYS AGO and I only just heard this minute

wtf

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Hap birth lady! Wishing you a thoroughly depraved day.

Thanks lad! It'll be an absolute bacchanal.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Now... I don't want to say that I want to see Joris Bonson flagrantly violate Parliament's will but the idea of a Prime Minister actually getting the sack from the Queen is so absolutely buckwild that... I at least want a viewing portal into a reality where that happens.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Slaanesh got Tzeentch to give me some ABSOLUTE CHAOS for this month and I'm very pleased (Also thx for birthday wishes I was gonna say I don't want to hog the thread but actually yes I do, lavish me with it, and also a bonus Praxcast episode that goes up tomorrow would be a welcome gift hint hint)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The British Left won in a landslide in 1906 because Balfour decided to be too clever by half and let Campbell-Bannerman into No. 10 in the hopes the Radicals and the Liberal Imperialists would destroy each other in a minority government.

Parliamentary Labour might owe its existence to Balfour's bad judgement because they were carried into office alongside the Liberals, going from a two MPs to 29.

In fairness to Balfour he couldn't really have predicted that the Liberals per se would actually implement any kind of useful policies.

Or that a Liberal would be a canny political operator who completely loving wrecked their cunning plans to sabotage him :laugh:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

I haven't been to sleep yet because I actually woke up about eight last night :v:

Christ Owly you're worse than I am, I usually get up between 4 and 5 :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Mind you, as a left-ish historian of the Royal Navy I have strong prejudice for politicians who support, or at least don't try to hobble, the Senior Service.

Ask me about Trident and the Falklands.

I'm from Stanley and I say kill 'em all!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Sanitary Naptime posted:

I’m going to read “tomorrow” here as “the 2nd of October”, and then I’m going to use my editorial powers to ensure that the 2nd of October doesn’t end until the House of Podliament ceases to sit by using the Lords time machine.

So, what I’m saying is, happy birthday, but with technicalities. :colbert:

I appreciate deeply your commitment to technicalities, and I further appreciate that you know what the word "tomorrow" means, my birthday is the 2nd goons!!! But I shall accept all the wellwishes directed to today nonetheless :D

(Seriously omg so many people being so sweet thank you all! :blush:)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

baka kaba posted:

just the best border folks, the biggest, everyone's talking about how good it is

happy bday Ms A! For yesterday, which is now your real birthday, hope you enjoyed it

Ah, well, I shall take this change of birth date in stride! It was a good day! :D

Pochoclo posted:

j/k Dagoth Ur had higher morals than any Tory

Dancing close to the fire by even risking the insinuation that Dr. Dag could be even remotely compared to a tory. I'll accept your clarification for now, but... the ice you stand on is not exactly the Mortrag Glacier, if you get my meaning.

OwlFancier posted:

Seriously, retractable casemates, massive underground fortresses, its own light rail resupply network, artillery pre dialed in on selected killzones, it's gonna be the loving border.

Well now you're making the border sound like some awesome Dwarf Fort/Space Marine poo poo

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 2, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Not going to link the latest ISF tweet, because it's extremely cursed

Oof, you ain't kidding :staredog:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

Happy birthday Ms Adequate! Enjoy a TJs from Uppingham Road. (Still not the best TJs :v:)

If it's not I'm kind of intimidated because I don't know if I could handle tastier TJs than that! But thank you - the birthday tradition in this house is pizza from TJs, so your command shall surely be obeyed!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I mean, the Germans did devise an entire strategy based around avoiding the Maginot Line so :v:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

big scary monsters posted:

Happy birthday, Ms A!

Apparently you share it with App Hancock, Secretary of State for Health and Social Care and social media influencer. I hope his day is poo poo, though.

:vomarine: Didn't need that, he can gently caress off this is my day.

e; but thank you!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Solefald posted:

Oh hey it's my birthday today so give me lots of attention

Also hey fellow October babies. Best month yesssssss

Oh poo poo I share birthday with an EXCELLENT goon! :hf:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

forkboy84 posted:

This justified me logging into Facebook tonight

:hmbol:

Very good indeed

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Rarity posted:

Down with Ms Adequate! All praise Solefald, our new birthday monarch! :toot:

:negative:

Rarity more like Judas Iscararioty

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Rarity posted:

You had your turn, it's time to share :mad:

I AM SHARING I EVEN EXPRESSED GREAT JOY OVER SHARING A BDAY WITH A VERY GOOD POSTER

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Oh kinky ;)

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

I got bullied for being a spergy weirdo and videos game were definitely a part of that before around Year 10, at which point things started to change and I actually ended up making some friends because we both liked vidya and ended up playing a shitload of Dynasty Warriors 3 together and stuff.

OwlFancier posted:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Vast leisure catamarans off the Isle of Wight. I watched Jason Donovan CDs glitter in the dark near Pyongyang. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to Brexit.

Lmao

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

There's 35% missing from these numbers.

Presumably from people saying "Don't know", which means that there's a lot of voters up for grabs, and also people who say don't know to a preference opinion question like this are lower than liberals.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Even if you don't think all polling forever should be ignored, polling should still be assessed with a fairly cynical eye because there are always biases, problems - deliberate or otherwise - in methodology, respondents who lie, reasons things might change (as Tess says), and if you're looking at media reports rather than the raw data, whatever spin they want to put on it.

For my part I think it's a tool that can have some use if you understand the problems with a given poll or set of them, but beyond that the only thing of mild interest is relative movement between the same poll conducted on different dates.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

AceOfFlames posted:

I believe I once saw it summed up as "Left wingers believe the greatest injustice is people not getting what they need. Right wingers believe the greatest injustice is people getting what they don't 'deserve'".

Very much this. And it's a bit chicken-and-egg when it comes to what they think people deserve, but what people deserve and people getting away with something get all tangled up until you end up being such a wanker you'll vote for the Tories because somewhere a disabled person might have a good day where they can manage well and thus prove they need no welfare.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Gotta say, the People's Comissars are doing some sterling work if they can prevent mass rioting for several years after everyone's had to eat their pets.

Also :hmbol: the replies are absolutely amazing, people gushing as if this is the work of a latter-day Michaelangelo.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

CoolCab posted:

everyone wished you happy birthday a day early ms adequate, like suckers. now I, coolcab, will swoop in and be the final and greatest birthday wisher.

:eyepop: A dramatic and powerful move. I salute and applaud you!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Yeah he's prorogueing it again. This time legally because it's a normal one, though one wonders whether it should have been permitted given the last ruling. Would have said "No more prorogues while Joris is PM" personally.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Sorry, we interrupted this UKMT because we need to talk about what Donald Trump just tweeted.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What is it?

A happy birthday to you?

He tweeted a Nickelback meme.

Also whilst you could as a third party outline a long-term plan to rise in stature and prominence so that you one day become one of the big boys, the idea that you can jump from eighteen to an outright majority in a single election is so vastly lol that I can't find a :lol: big enough

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Sanitary Naptime posted:

I want to see the libs self own into oblivion, and I personally feel great and justified in wanting that

Podcast chat - The episode has been slightly delayed because G-Man's vermicelli is not as superinformative as it could be, so it'll be with everyone by lunchtime tomorrow.

Well he needs better pasta then clearly :colbert:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Darth Walrus posted:

Since we were talking about Thangam Debbonaire, she apparently believes that A Woman's Place are feminists who need to be defended rather than TERFs who need to be booted out, so that's not great.

:smith:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

E; ^^^ lmao

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Just my big brained take, but I think ironically throwing in with Corbyn as caretaker PM, showing a united anti-Tory front, going hard after Tory marginals and ending up in opposition against a Labour government (or in a Lib/Lab coalition after showing it can be done with the caretaker arrangement) and building from there is about the only way the pissbirds could exit this mess with any kind of credibility.

Unfortunately they've been huffing their own farts polling wise and are now deluding themselves that (a) nobody really wants Corbyn and (b) that they have any kind of chance at a majority.

I agree with this pretty much fully. If I were them - and thank God I am not - the game I would play would be

A) Support Corbyn as interim PM so we can get No Deal completely off the table. No fannying about, explicitly take marching orders on the plan for this from Jezza. Would do wonders for the appearance of actually opposing brexit and putting country before party.

B) Form an electoral pact going into the General to help make sure non-brexiteers win in any relevant marginals.

C) Domestic issues as normal, but message discipline on Brexit that supports the overall plan until after the election.

D) Once we get to 2ref then campaign for remain, but for Christ's sake, say you'll accept the referendum result rather than insisting you'll revoke no matter what.

E) Use this record of cooperation and trustworthiness to start rehabilitating the party's image from the coalition and maybe actually be able to make real gains in another election or two.

But of course, a strategy like that would involve something other than being a piss coloured tory, and oppositing Corbyn more than Brexit. Also having some courage. I suppose if they are looking at the polling they will be thinking they are doing well with their current plans, but I reckon it'll be a massive house of cards.

And anyway as has been repeatedly observed ITT, an election before brexit means that Joris and the tories are in total disarray, whilst one after brexit means it's not an issue anymore.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

Like there's a few thousand houses in the country that look like this:

where only the back bit has water pipes.

Living in one of these, yeah, there's nowhere you could put a second loo at all.

Also the kitchen is hilariously tiny, standing room for one person.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah I think if there's one structural modification that I can't make that I'd like it's having a little porch and stoop to come in without a ton of winter air.
I think that's maybe partly why there was the whole attitude of "you only use the front door three times, and you're carried for each of them" attitude among my nan's generation, but gently caress using the jitty all the time.

This is real obscure UK slang hours

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

How do you run it like SimCity without having financial awareness?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

the gently caress, being aware that there was no drone at Gatwick isn't "trutherism" it's merely truth, and it's not at all related to regressive rock!

Closing the departure gate early is a sin tho yeah

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49936218

EU: We need fundamental changes
UK: We're willing to clarify our proposal

I'd :lol: but for the fact that this is successfully spun as the EU being intransigent and wishing to punish Briaitnae instead of our government having a laughably unworkable and utterly bonkers 'plan' to institute something that can never achieve what was promised anyway.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

It's a good thing I was never able to enter the workplace, because I'm congenitally unable to keep my mouth shut on stuff like that. I got in loads of trouble at school for being gobby at teachers, I was totally ready to argue with my professors on any point I disliked in uni, and I would absolutely have mouthed off at bosses and colleagues for stupid opinions (or, god forbid, stupid policies from On High).

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

baka kaba posted:

doesn't seem wrong, just getting "back to normal" would help his image, and being able to promise all the unicorns again while shaking the magic money tree will definitely win a lot of people over. so long as the election is quick, before all the bad stuff starts happening

Yeah but as was observed on the podcast, nobody wants the diet version. If you want mass increases in public spending you vote Labour, same as if you want to gently caress over foreigners you vote tory, no matter what the edstone says.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

njsykora posted:

The director did the full "drat you can't say anything without offending the snowflakes" routine. So I'm fairly comfortable saying any leftist reading of the movie is unintentional.

Author's dead, baby. Author's dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Junior G-man posted:

You can only wish that one day your brainspiders grow this large and powerful.

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1180503261926821890?s=19

What a man, what a thinker.

:lol: at putting Jo Swinson as Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster, got to have her somewhere but we can't give her any responsibilities, so just stuff her into the most useless ministerial role there is.