Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So David Cameron wrote a book I guess, he was doing an interview on Canadian radio, and when asked what his proudest achievement as PM was he says Austerity basically.

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1610929731998

E: cat

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Seriously though, what did happen and who do I ask?

It was an 19th century thing. Right at the end of the 18th, classy country gentlemen everywhere collectively get way less flamboyant, and by the mid 19th everybody is into dark colors and standardizing on what will become the men's suit. No idea why, but that's approximately when it happened.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'm no expert on middle east politics but is there any will among people in the region to try and have Kurdistan be recognised as a nation with, say, Diyarbakir as its capital ?

I'm sure there's Kurds that would love this idea, but it's about as realistic as recreating the 10th century Kingdom of Armenia.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

One thing to consider is that the Tories have spent most of that three years without a majority and thus either beholden to the DUP or incapable of functioning. It is possible that Boris could get in with a majority and pivot to Norway+ just so he could say he's done it. I mean, I wouldn't bet money on it, but he's a jellyfish on all counts so it's not implausible.

Could he even do that? Pivoting to Norway+ would get Brexit done, but now all the Brexiters are foaming at the mouth for no deal, and they'd probably label it Worse Than No Deal, and suddenly the internal Tory division is threatening to tear the party apart again.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

jabby posted:

Genuine question, what would be the best way for the West to tackle the Kurds/Turkey thing? Obviously abandoning them like Trump did is going to lead to a massacre/humanitarian crisis, but staying in the region as a permanent peacekeeping force is hardly going to work. Threaten Turkey with something unless they find a political solution? What's the best answer?

Like Brexit, there isn't any solution that is politically acceptable to all the factions. And all of those factions are likely prepared to use force to get their way.

If you look at it from the perspective of a politician in 'the West', the "best" angle is probably to let the existing national governments of the area do what they will. A lot of people will die, but it doesn't involve western soldiers dying, it's cheap, the disruption will be localized, and all you'll have sacrificed is your morals.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 10, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

What did he say that started all this in the first place?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

The question though is why don't we just leave it [on Daylight Time] all year round?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Exioce posted:

The ROI on housing is about 5%. A 100k house will average about 5k for the landlord after costs are taken into account. Now you cap rents, and it only brings in 2.5% of market value after costs. A fair amount of landlords will simply take the property off the rental market and sell up for a more lucrative asset class. 2.5% ROI can be had in other ways. Some will keep renting but won't have the cash for capital improvement. You've reduced the rental supply and the quality of the housing stock remains the same and eventually drops. Surely this is not a good situation?

Who exactly are the landlords going to sell this now less profitable asset class to? In the scenario where the government is imposing strict controls like this, the only real possibilities are other landlords (in which case supply remains the same) or the people trying to live in those houses (in which case demand falls in proportion to the fall in supply). Moreover a mass sell off would hugely decrease the price of housing, which you may note is a good thing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

So I've heard a lot of people say that now that an actual election is on, a bunch of regulations kick in that should prevent the reactionary press from being so nakedly pro-Tory. Is there a summary of what those regulations actually are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Is there going to be a speaker election before Parliament dissolves? Bercow is stepping down tomorrow (today?), right?

e: just noticed the gang tags that got handed out :lol: