Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Apparently Brenda wants to cut Bozo's head off or something.

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1178394011654148101

I'm not sure I'd buy this tbh.
"sought advice" implies legal advice this reads like brenda having a whinge to the hired help and someone spinning a story on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

https://twitter.com/pyykko/status/1181705896063356930?s=20

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

He's lost the DUP

e:

https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1184459127650697216?s=20

tithin fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 17, 2019

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm dying from tooth pain and the schaudenfreude of bojo losing both the dup and farage, this is incredible

Bojo is the Tony Abbott of Britain, a man so obsessed with a thing that he gets it, but in so doing flies too close to the sun and crashes to the earth

i dunno, i'm a bit off, i''m just lolling about it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

sexpig by night posted:

so I assume with DUP saying 'lol no' and Borris losing the timetable vote this deal has as much chance of passing as the past ones that have gone down in flames? What about this deal is so bad he can't get his fellow right wingers on board, or is it just an inverse of when May was dealing with the hard brexit folks?

sort of the latter? but basically the tories dont have the ability to pass the legislation on their own, they can't even pass it with the DUP on board (which they're not anymore) - none of the opposition trust any deal that gets crafted because they're all having second thoughts about brexit.

so even if the tories were operating as a single unit (they're not) and had the dup on board (they're not) they still couldn't overcome the greens / lab / lib dem combo

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

sexpig by night posted:

interesting, thanks! So where does it go from here? More extensions keeping the farce up forever?

Literally no one knows.
- The combined opposition parties want a general election
- So does the government
- The point of difference between them is that the combined opposition won't vote for a GE until such a time as "no deal" has been taken off the table. The government can't vote for one on its own as it lacks the numbers to pass this in parliament.
- The PM's basically said that he's not going to extend Brexit past Oct 31st (but he's bound by the Benn Act to request an extension from the EU, even though he doesn't want one)
- That means to get a GE, he either needs to get a deal from the EU, or getting an extension.
- The PM has remained cagey on if he'll follow the law and request the extension or not.

There's a general consensus that we'll know by the 19th as to what's going to happen next (I have no idea why the 19th is the next big milestone).

On a related note, I saw this and chuckled

Angry Lobster posted:

So opposition won't approve any deal presented by Johnson, unlesss Johnson demands an extension first?

E: cute catto

e: basically yeah, Johnson can't pass poo poo even with a united house (it's not) and extra to help. He's not getting his GE until there's an extension to brexit.

Miftan posted:

19th is the deadline to ask for an extension per the Benn Act

Good to know, cheers

tithin fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 17, 2019

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

RIP Britain, it had a good(?) run?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

sexpig by night posted:

really sorry to be the stereotypical dumbass here but...ok what happens then? Like I see this threat used a lot but no one actually says what it means. What happens if the 31st happens and the deal failed, is it just instant hard brexit?

Or is this one of those 'lol we never had to make rules for it because why would this ever happen'

if my take on it is "right", then yeah, if parliament doesn't sign off on this new deal, it's no deal brexit on the 31st.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

OwlFancier posted:

Why is george galloway

Irony / Internet poisoned before the internet was really a thing.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

So what's going on in brexit land today chaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Whatever happened to flaps? I stopped posting in here for a bit and he'd disappeared