Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Thread successfully prorogued peeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ms Adequate posted:

Still, birthday tomorrow!
Hap birth lady! Wishing you a thoroughly depraved day.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Apparently Brenda wants to cut Bozo's head off or something.

https://twitter.com/sturdyAlex/status/1178394011654148101

Or something:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-news-live-latest-brexit-today-no-deal-general-election-a9125916.html

Joris Bonson news - live: PM 'will be dismissed by Queen' if he refuses to request Brexit delay after failing to get deal, as he faces groping allegations

quote:

The Queen would dismiss Boris Johnson if he refused to comply with a law requiring him to seek an extension to Brexit talks, according to leading Remainer Dominic Grieve.

The claim came amid a storm of outrage over allegations the embattled prime minister groped a female journalist when he was editor of The Spectator, with anger threatening to overshadow the Conservative party conference in Manchester.

Meanwhile, Opposition parties agreed to discuss plans for a government of national unity to oust Boris Johnson if he refuses to delay Brexit, according to Lib Dem leader Jo Swinson.

It came as chancellor Sajid Javid suggested the government had a plan to get around Benn Act, calling the legislation “silly”.

E: my gran-in-law's cat Pebbles, who is now no more

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 1, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Unfortunately the only source for this seems to be speculation from Grieve in that link:

quote:

Dominic Grieve has said Boris Johnson could be “dismissed” by the Queen if he fails to abide by the Benn Act and ask the EU for a Brexit extension by the date the law demands.

Asked what would happen, Grieve said: “He would be taken to court … I suspect the courts could deal with it very quickly,” he told Sky News.

Asked what would happen if Johnson still ignored the law, the expelled Tory MP said: “At that stage the cabinet secretary and the civil service would refuse to work for him.

“He’ll be out in five minutes. He’ll be dismissed.”

Dismissed by the Queen?, asks Adam Boulton. “Yes … It’s a rather hypothetical position. If he intends to continue behaving in this completely ludicrous fashion, yes, perhaps.”
But if that was why she was asking about the legality of it... Man, that would be a hell of a thing to watch Gammon heads pop over.

E: I can only assume that this is some sort of early birthday present for Ms. A from her good friend and patron, Slaanesh.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 1, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Comrade Fakename posted:

Of course, it’s just political fan fiction, it’s not going to happen. But I will say that if Labour don’t form a government after the next election, then Corbyn really has got to go.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

*ThomasPaine sends Tweetman a DM*
The problem with right wing parodies is that they're so loving stupid, it's hard to tell what they're actually trying to say or who they see as the enemy, if they think Tweetman is at all leftist.

Gonzo McFee posted:

The unpopular man is unpopular and should go even if I agree with him and he would be replaced with someone I don't personally agree with or even like but I think other people would like, Vote Joe Biden.
It's the 'electabitity' trope again. All the press has to do is convince their readership that the sensible average person doesn't like Corbyn and wouldn't vote for him (even though easily half of the country did), and a deluge of melts will start to doubt him, including a few newer posters in this thread.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I want to share that on Facebook to piss off melts, do you have a twitter I can credit?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I don't at all buy that Corbyn is bad at media. I think it's 100% the media is bad at being a thing that is capable of benefiting humanity and the whole thing should be shoveled into a big pit and set on fire.
I will continually bang on about this but I think the 'kinder politics' shtick has just ended up alienating him from a media who are looking for good telly and angry soundbites from a Neil Kinnock firebrand. I honestly think the public are as well, and I think it's one of the few things he's failing to deliver.

Early in his PMship he got the opportunities. I was watching the beeb and he'd be on there calmy talking about something unrelated when the entire country, remainer and leaver alike were baying for Cameroid's head, or whatever the latest Tory scandal was. There have been a ton of easy strikes that he refused to capitalise on.

Corbyn got a LOT of cache from being present on the ground after Grenfell and from talking about the loss of life. He's also been letting his inner shoutyman out at PMQs, but overall he is a man who is passionate about the left but not going on the attack, and I think that's what people want.

I also think the media office is failing, given the degree to which the bbc has been able to get away with question time and effectively deplatforming the opposition party.

VideoGames posted:

He points at you and smiles. "Nationalised."
:swoon:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Rarity posted:

What do you mean that no one under 40 has a landline any more? Don't think it matters, we've got a fair view of the populace
It does sort of explain how Swinson and the Tories are loving up so badly. They want polls that show they're doing well, so their spin doctors comission polls with leading questions in order to look good. Then the idiot MPs read them, take them as gospel and make Cummings level gambits based on polls they should already have known were bent. Absolute bellends.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

marktheando posted:

Normally true but this next general election will be all about Brexit.
The other thing to bear in mind with polls about leader popularity is the stunning capacity of the average voter to say things like "Well of course I don't want him in power, but we have to because of this single issue that's been hyped up."

What's hilarious is that the papers have locked themselves into a death spiral of single issue brexit, just as Labour have maneuvred themselves into the only realistic brexit position (take no deal off the table then let the people decide between their deal and remain). The only other issue being austerity, on which the Tory party's record is blisteringly toxic.

The only problem is that at the moment, a lot of melts are directing that "guess we have to" energy at the lib dems because they are swallowing the Corbyn unelectability garbage hook line and sinker, and those dumb fucks are splitting the vote.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Essentially the belief that Britain is the best country in the world.

Push a little until they accidentally say British people are better than other people. Keep pushing. Make them feel as uncomfortable as possible.

Patriotism is a paper-thin veneer over racism.

Barry Foster posted:

WOAH

Your new avatar rules
I can't 100% take credit for it, it's from a teeshirt that keeps popping up on my facebook. If I catch it again i'll link it here.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 2, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Schrodinger's prosperity: simultaneously voting for brexit because it'll make the country more prosperous, while also accepting that things will be tough and a lot of poors and disableds are going to have to die and none of the money will make its way to them, of course.

Years of being shat on have ingrained the status quo in their shrivelled brains to such an extent that they're celebrating prosperity they are never going to touch.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1179485940265316352?s=19

Corbyn confirmed furry.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

Honestly, though, I'm not sure if anything saves the Lib Dems now. We have a choice between a Labour government and an insane Brexit that could potentially kill more Britons than the Second World War. There's no room for centrism in that. If you don't pick a side, you will be crushed between them.
Just my big brained take, but I think ironically throwing in with Corbyn as caretaker PM, showing a united anti-Tory front, going hard after Tory marginals and ending up in opposition against a Labour government (or in a Lib/Lab coalition after showing it can be done with the caretaker arrangement) and building from there is about the only way the pissbirds could exit this mess with any kind of credibility.

Unfortunately they've been huffing their own farts polling wise and are now deluding themselves that (a) nobody really wants Corbyn and (b) that they have any kind of chance at a majority.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Would that necessarily be the worst outcome? It's a poo poo arrangement that everyone hates but as far as I can remember it doesn't immediately kill everyone and it takes the issue off the table while loving the tories?
May's deal is the backstop with temporary EEA, customs union & single market while we negotiate new trade deals individually. So essentially it's no deal with an interrim period.

This lasts until 31st Dec 2020, at which point we can either extend the interrim ONCE or we leave completely. So essentially Liz Truss spends a year banging on about pork markets, de Pfeffel de Pfaffs about and does nothing until the new deadline and then immediately sells the nhs and goes turbo austerity.

Not only are we still subject to most of the laws of the EU after morons think we've 'left' (so right wing brexit betrayal violence Nige can capitalise on), sectarian violence in NI also explodes and hilariously, it doesn't even solve the tax dodging issue behind Rees-Mogg et al going hard on Brexit, so all of the companies still leave and the country is too hosed for them to return by the time Joris sets up his tax havens & free ports.

It wouldn't gently caress the Tories at all because they get to pretend they fixed brexit, it bolsters the party's right wing, soft leavers are happy, remainers fall in line because it's 'over.' Lib Dems either immediately forget about hard remain (or possibly keep the shitshow rolling by campaigning to rejoin the EU). Jeremy Corbyn is gulaged for being Stalinist and the entire thread dies of Irony™, or the 4th dimensional hyper syphilis Ms Adequate infected us all with at the final goonmeet.

It's the stupidest possible outcome, so prepare your body.

Guavanaut posted:

Total number of seats - 650
Working Government Majority - 0
Have I got this wrong, or does this mean 320 isn't even a majority?

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Oct 3, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

mehall posted:

Sinn Fein don't sit and speakers don't vote, the number is normally somewhere around 317
Presumably the extra 3 are a buffer incase Chuka realises he is in a party he isn't leader of.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I was reading an article the other day about sociopaths and how the absolute worst thing in the world to them is to be bored. For the most part, they don't weigh other people's safety or feelings into the equation of whether to do something or not.

I read that and I immediately thought about Boris. We've all assumed that he's frantic because he's at the end of his tether. But it's possible that he's just in his element. The stakes couldn't be higher and every new step brings new chaos and new challenges. It's entirely possible that this is exactly the kind of excitement an unfit adrenaline junkie would crave.

I think we've been looking at this wrong in that we can't imagine how exhausting it would be to wake up and have to deal with everything he has to. But to Boris, it's stimulation. It's something to do. The more hosed up things get, the more alive he feels.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

baka kaba posted:

it does feel like something's up, they keep doing this "we will not ask for an extension" and "yes of course we will act in accordance with the law :agesilaus:" which makes them seem like some smartass kid who's thought of some technicality to get out of doing their homework tonight. Like it doesn't just come across like bluffing until he's forced to get the extension, they're extremely bad at that kind of thing
It reminds me of that defence minister in the 2nd Iraq invasion. "Don't be ridiculous, the American tanks are nowhere near the capital, and even if they were they're no match for our mighty army! Everything is fine!" As the city loving explodes behind him. And then when the US army hits Baghdad, he just loving disappears. Everything's fine until it isn't, and then they just disappear so they don't have to face the music.

[cameron-humming.mp4]

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Sharing your home with someone who is not your romantic partner can be a major trial (and can be even if they're not).
Man I share a house with my sister-in-law. I will admit I am a bit of a tart about a lot of things, but I am pretty sure I'm not being unreasonable saying that it's absolutely loving unbearable. Imagine living with a teenager, only you can't tell them off because they're also kind of your landlord. It's hell.

When we first inherited it (wife's mum died of cancer, we ain't rich), the sister in law was still at uni, we couldn't afford the bills on our own, and one of our uni friends needed to move out of a bad situation. The house was being administered by trustees (my in-laws) at that point (and we weren't as socially aware at the time) so we did the bad and charged her the 'going rate,' which was about £350 for a double room in the rear end end of Oxfordshire.

It was completely unhelpful and unreasonable, and I'm not going to defend it. We didn't need that much and we were basically profiting off a friend. Even if they'd been a stranger, that wouldn't have made it ok. I mean I'd say what would have been fair would have been 1/3 of the bills & council tax in a 3 bedroom house, which would have been under a hundred quid.

As it stands, the sad thing is we are probably going to have to be lardlords*again, since the sister in law wants to stay in this house, but in no way has her poo poo together enough to take a half mortgage or pay all of the bills. So more than likely we're going to have to move out, rent, and then offset by renting out the double & single we're currently occupying.

I would love to set a fair price or just not be involved in the whole shitshow, but unfortunately neither my wife & I or my sister in law have the money or safety net to just sell & split.

* Not gonna correct that.

WhatEvil posted:

A land value tax like Guav said seems more reasonable. You could make it progressive and apply not just on a "per house" basis but a "per person" basis, and have it also apply to 2nd homes/buy-to-let, so the more total land you own the steeper the tax gets, and then you solve landlords too.
That's already way, way more equity than the rich ever want. It has to be per room you see, because this 150 square foot second ballroom is exactly the same as you needing a different bedroom for each of your children.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I wish there was a bit more news atm, I'm still sick as poo poo and not sleeping right so I could do with the distraction.
If you'd like I can share my thoughts on how Untitled Goose Game explains Ben Shapiro.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

One of your objectives in the second area is to get someone to 'buy back their own stuff.' You achieve this by stealing the kids plane while he's distracted, putting it in the shop with the other toys, and then shooing him toward the shop. When he tries to pick it up he argues with the shopkeeper, who makes him pay for it.

I am normally into playing games morally. I am a big wet child when it comes to videogames and I don't like being mean. But I watched all of that happen, and I was so caught up in feeling clever at my brilliant plan having worked, it temporarily over-rode my sense of morals.

So how this relates to Shapiro is that his voice sounds like an rear end in a top hat loving goose.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I had just assumed 'on the jitty' was some kind of slang for welfare.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ He's going to call in sick on the 19th.

mediadave posted:

I mean, George Soros is a billionaire who has made his money in a variety of damaging ways, including betting against the Pound, and now uses that money to influence the politics of countries around the world.
It's almost as though there is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

mediadave posted:

We don't like it when the Koch brothers or the Murdochs do it, and just because his politics are liberal doesn't mean we should be happy when he does it.
Yes it loving does. Stop trying so hard with the moral objectivity, Murdoch and the Kochs fund racist think tanks and projects that put fascist governments in power. Soros funds projects that mostly improve people's lives. They're not the same thing at all.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Necrothatcher posted:

Not a good day for 'ol Tommy Watson either.
On the subject of your housemate problem, years of disappointing experience have taught me you need to threaten small claims court while you know where he lives. Make a note of any attempts to call him, any notes you put under his door, any times you waited around and he should have been in etc. Gives you ammo to establish a pattern of avoidance.

If you have anything in writing or can print out texts / emails that contain the words "I'll pay you back" or use the word "borrow" these are also useful.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

tim farron's russia connections unveiled in stunning court revelations

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Where is Jess Phillips?
New speaker :vomarine:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Are we going with Fess Jillips or the usual JessFlips?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

God I just watched the Mash Report and it was Geoff loving Norcott just deliberately bullshitting about Labour's brexit position. I want to punch existence.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Idea for a very special comment or commentariat: Toby Young edition. You have to guess if it's a quote from an article by commentariat Toby Young, or if it's a frothy take in the comments of a Toby Young article.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Darth Walrus posted:

A remarkable number of European mythological monsters seem to be derived from Jewish people - dwarves and goblins are as well. We do actually have a racist fictional monster that emerged quite recently, though - orcs as stand-ins for black people date back to the 1970s, although they also draw on a fair amount of inspiration from interbellum fantasy.
Tumblr is currently crusading against 'goblincore' as an rp concept obsessed with mud, mushrooms, frogs and specifically the desire for shiny things, and - as fairly well argued here - pointed ears, green skin and large noses.

As well as being incredibly cute, this is a good compromise, and a lot of goblin RPers have taken to the idea that it is the shininess and not the value - a goblin would happily trade a dull gold bar for a Claire's accessories tiara, for example.

Games Workshop neatly sidestepped the racism / orcs thing by making them football hooligans.

Sloth Life posted:

I loved the Misty Mountains song, so haunting and sad.

https://youtu.be/Pyy_FIYE7EE
That bit was incredible. The songs in the book were my least favourite part because I always imagined them as being light, bouncy songs like Merry & Pippin's drinking song, and then all of a sudden there's this deep, haunting choral dirge and dwarves are sexy all of a sudden.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Also the assassin leaping up the side of the boat at Rick is a wonderful demonstration of Every Frame a Painting's claim that "things entering the frame is funny"
He made this point in the video about Edgar Wright's visual comedy as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FOzD4Sfgag

AceOfFlames posted:

Everything that needs to be said about the Hobbit movies can be summed up in this picture:

Yeah I can't find it but there's a whole interview with McKellan where he talks about breaking down crying on a greenscreen set because of being isolated.

A whole bunch of Marvel actors weren't even aware they were in the Portals sequence of Endgame because they filmed it during other schedules. Gwyneth Paltrow had no goddamn idea she was in Spiderman: Homecoming because they overlapped it with other stuff to save money.

Surprise surprise, Capitalism ruins loving everything.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

But like I said about Paltrow above, it's rarely the actors, it's the filmmakers. I doubt Cumberbatch would have refused if he had been asked to suit up.

E: For example, a lot of Marvel actors have complained that everyone is working under insane nondisclosure agreements, so they turn up to a greenscreen set with only the barest instruction (its alien and they should look scared), given a page or so of script so they can't work out the plot and leak it online.

Then a year, year and a half later they turn up to the premiere thinking "Wait, is that what that was?" and realising that if they'd known, they would have made completely different acting choices.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 7, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Rarity posted:

That post was UKIP as gently caress, yes. I wanted to see the other posts as well because people had already been saying that before just now.
I think it's enough for them to be on about muslamic pedo gangs*, talking about the EDL and far right as if it's a natural response purely to that, and blaming the hard left for the whole thing is peak WHY ARENT YOU STOPPING THE RACISM JEREMIES. It's a fake concern mish mash of :thunk: right wing talking points. Either he is racist for wilfully repeating these talking points, or doesn't know better in which case he's still racist for supporting it.

* which are statistically so much less common than white pedophile rings I shouldn't even have to point it out

Rarity posted:

I too can write meaningless graphs

Meaningful :eng101:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I can't parse that tweet at all, what the hell is she going on about?
Tracy Olbermann is a z-list celeb who sometimes appears on loose women, and a twitter crazy who got rightly trounced for harassing a 16 year old girl over climate change a while back. She blamed it all on leftist Corbyn trolls and now inflates her dying sense of self importance by pretending she's being persecuted by Corbyn.

She is appearing in a play in that theatre, and saw Corbyn in the building's cafe. She tweeted a picture out saying how funny it was that Corbyn & Chakraborty had come to see her play, because of course there's no other reason he could be there. Also took the opportunity to slip a ton of antisemitism slurs in there.

Corbynson Tommy slid into her replies and told her to gently caress off, called her a troll, pointed out that his dad is a longtime sponsor of the theatre and that she is an idiot. Probably harsher than he should have been but a fair pop considering how long she's been smarming off at Corbyn.

The tweet that was quoted was her reply to Tommy's rant, basically smarming about 'conspiracy proved, see he HATES me but couldn't resist coming to my show.'

I read an article about this in the Jewish Chronicle so you don't have to.

E:

forkboy84 posted:

No, you're a lunatic for desperately grasping on to your favourite conspiracy against all evidence to the contrary by only looking at one small factor rather the entire picture. Hope that clears it.
It's one thing saying Russian billionaires weren't the only factor, but come on. They may not have started the fire but they certainly threw a lot of money on the pyre.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 7, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Parliament wrote the text of the request for him, he just has to officially deliver it.
Those No. 10 documents a few pages ago seemed to imply that he's going to deliver it in person along with a speech which essentially says "I was tricked into bringing this letter to you by the traitor parliament, here's why it's bullshit and you shouldn't give us an extension."

CyberPingu posted:

When i was job hunting a few years ago, a company out in Barcelona wanted to fly me out for an inteview from Scotland last minute (literally phoned me at 7pm the night before to get on a flight). I didnt want to scramble to get a plane so just asked if we could do it over skype and they said "Hmm thats not the way we do things"
I mean most NHS offices I've worked in still haven't got the hang of mail merge. The sooner we kill off the technophobic boomer generation the sooner we halve the problem.

Rich twats who like flying everywhere 'because it's nice' can get in the loving sea.

Scikar posted:

London has the lowest level of car ownership in the country. Purely by coincidence*, it also has vastly superior public transport than the rest of the country. You don't have to build a single tunnel or even anything at all in London, just put actual buses, trams and cycle lanes in every other major city and you'd already cut half the cars we need.

*Not actually a coincidence
Where I used to live, Winchester, was an old medieval town with roads so convoluted and nonsensical that nobody drove in town, it was literally quicker to walk because of the constant jams and badly signposted intersections that all loop back into the one way system. Consequently it was a great city to not be a driver in - high street with actual functioning shops on it, everything within walking distance (if you don't mind hills) and major employment opportunities including the hospital, local & county councils, university and magistrates court.

Every few years there's a push to just turn the centre into bike lanes (which would work beautifully if they were confined to the lanes only and got them off the pavements like they are now), but the rich pricks in the council scream about their audis and nothing ever gets done.

Once we eat the rich and take it over, Winchester would make a fine capital for the glorious UKMT thousand year reich.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

sebzilla posted:

I'd love to not be a car-owner (and have stopped driving to commute in favour of getting the train and walking a few miles each day) but I can't feasibly get away from using it for things like driving my daughter to various groups that take place out of town.
I mean this is part of the cyclic nature of the problem. Modern life is based around the petrol engine. The infrastructure backbone of the modern world assumed an inexhaustible supply of fuel and was constructed and dispersed based on that. Where I now live, everything is dispersed and decentralised. To get DIY supplies I need to go two towns over. If they tried building a DIY place here, nobody would go, because "There's already one in Abingdon, just drive there."

It's hard to fully express the idea, but basically it's that everyone has a car, and because everyone has a car the modern world has organised everything so that you need a car. Which isn't a problem if you have a car. But if petrol prices become unaffordable post brexit, it's going to put a lot of people in the shitter, starting with people who can't drive because of a disability.

I guess the other side of it is that if you had looked at living in that house and NOT had a car, would it have put you off that everything is so far away? I lived where I didn't need a car for a long time (and can't drive anyway) so maybe I just have a different perspective on the whole thing.

Sorry if i'm not expressing this very well, it's kind of hard to put into words, and most of the time when I try to explain it, people nod along and then say "You need a car then."

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Love to know where - as in what departments - you've worked.
Pathology central, Winchester RHCH. At least three 50+ age members of staff would manually copy / paste addresses multiple times into a word document, adding carriage returns and changing the font sizes so it would fit on the labels (and only the left hand labels, wasting 50% of the sheet). They would do this near the end of the day because (a) if you accidentally printed 2 sheets it would jam the printer and (b) everyone's hands hurt after doing it a while.

I set up a database and a basic front end to enter new addresses into it, and a mailmerge document with a macro that automated everything you needed to print off a sheet on the other printer, which was capable of handling label printing, and set it up to use label sheets that had 3 columns. I put links to both on the desktop of the one PC that contained it.

My manager (who has carpal tunnel) loved it. Everyone else got mad at it and then refused to use it. Eventually one of them smarmed about having 'accidentally' deleted it. So I restored it from backup and showed my manager how to do that as well. They still refused.

The amount of offices I've worked in where middle aged people are blocking modernisation because they don't want to learn new tech is astounding, it's almost everywhere I've worked or temped. And yes, I get it when it's fear of downsizing. But in the case of refusing to learn how to videoconference rather than fly all over the world, it's actively damaging the climate for future generations.

But like with the car thing, the old way has become so entrenched that you need to overhaul the entire system to improve it, and people are resistant to systemic change when the system is currently working for them.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

sebzilla posted:

My partner doesn't drive and it ruled out a lot of potential houses for us. If I couldn't drive either we'd get by with the bus and walking but have to stop doing some of the things we currently do. And being in a band would be almost impossible.
I mean that's a great example of thinking the fix is getting a bus*, rather than in the broader sense having more community hubs and less dispersed services.

A lot of local hospitals, police stations, ambulance stations and fire services have closed down so that they can centralise in cities. That makes sense on a budget sheet, and makes sense to people with a car or money for a taxi.

But to me, what would make more sense is in any location where you have more than say 10k people, you have one building that houses a police officer or two, a paramedic and triage nurse, a fire officer and maybe with the spare cash a counsellor or a CAB. Scale up the staff and resources depending on the size of the local population until you hit a certain cap (otherwise you're just repeating centralisation), and then build a second one.

Again though, this comes back to how late stage capitalism fucks everything up by being terrified of letting anyone work together lest the insidious hand of communism harm the bottom line.

* And I'm not criticising you for that, everyone I talk to does this which makes me feel like I'm the weird one.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Junior G-man posted:

An Irish journalist called Chris Cook wrote up a six piece long read on the inside-no. 10-baseball on Brexit during May's time, and how that played out during the negotiations. It's superb and you should all read it:

https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/18/brexit-part-one/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/18/brexit-part-2/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/19/brexit-day-part-3/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/19/brexit-part-4/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/25/brexit-part-5/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/25/brexit-part-6/content.html
https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/05/26/brexit-epilogue/content.html

It's extremely well written and clearly this guy understands what he's on about super well.

I dunno if it's a 'done thing' to pro-click your own posts, but I'm doing it anyway.
Seems like it's getting the hug of death for me, can someone copy / paste it into a google doc or something?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yes I have this thought too regarding a local 'services' location. I think it should be a little flexible on size of population when you have a very spread out geographical area with a town possibly smaller than 10k as a logical centre.
Oh absolutely. I realised as I was writing the bit about scaling up, I was brainspidering my way towards the exact same centralisation I was trying to solve.

I guess my motivation is this - I have a health issue at the moment which needs investigating. Where I used to live (Winchester), I could have gone to the GP, gotten a health referral, and then on the day of the appointment, walked to the nearest hospital, and depending on how my health declines, gotten a bus or taxi there for less than a fiver both ways for any subsequent appointments. That's a convenience that I think every single person in the country should have.

Where I live now (rural Oxfordshire) i can walk to my GP, but if I need hospital treatment or investigation, they are going to send me to Oxford, which is a train and two buses away at a fiver each, which I can't afford (or at least resent paying) and am unlikely to make it to if it's an early appointment.

But everyone around here treats it like it's perfectly normal. They're all used to it. They've never known any different and they've never needed to because they all have cars or access to cars.

Junior G-man posted:

Links still work for me?
I think it was just something weird on my phone was throwing up xml errors, it seems fine now.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 8, 2019

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

feedmegin posted:

Yes. There are tanks on the streets of Milton, Cambridgeshire as I speak. Oh God the Farageshirt militia are knocking on my door right now save me Marx
First they came for the UKMT, and I did not speak out because there was actually nobody coming for us, and then I had dinner and played on Warcraft.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

While one world cup made summer shirtlessness quite the des rigeur statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

Then we put you up against the wall and shot you, because Blizzard just banned a Hearthstone pro for supporting the Hong Kong democracy movement.
Sounds like someone was pandaren to their Chinese overlords! :haw:

seriously though i am in danger now send nudes help