Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Kin posted:

Just called the hospital and the surgery went well. No complications.

I just feel tired now, nothing else.

Cameron Years on BBC1 is numbing my brain i think.

Glad to hear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Junior G-man posted:

Big tweet thread on the 'new' BoJo border proposals:

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1178760377678618626?s=20

(Hint: it's loving madness and will never be accepted and is technologically unfeasible and mad)

It's already been rejected long ago, it was brought up before and Ireland laughed at it.
I love the idea of having a 310 x 15 = 4650 mile squared area that is a custom quantum zone. (310 is the length of irish border).

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

I love that my home town is virtually at the border of the new custom zone inside Northern Ireland, and that my mother's home town in the Republic is now on the opposite border.
The 30-40 gap in between be pirate territory arrrrr

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Hearing there was a fist fight at the tory conference, but no details.
Anyone got any more?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

WhatEvil posted:

Lots of bedrooms in modern housing are too small, or the rest of the house is otherwise unsuitable to have lodgers in. I owned a 2-bed house before I left the UK and the 2nd bedroom was just big enough to get a standard double bed in, a small side table and a wardrobe, and after that you had barely any floor space left. Then apart from the master bedroom (which still didn't have that much space left after a bed and a dresser), the hall and the bathroom it only had one other actual room which was the open-plan kitchen and lounge.

So yeah technically I could've had a lodger but it would've been pretty poo poo for the lodger and also for me and my wife - we'd have been living in each other's pockets.

I'd imagine a fairly large proportion of those 16m unoccupied bedrooms are rooms that are, or are in houses that are, fairly unsuited to having lodgers.

Yeah same.
In a '2 bedroom' apartment in Cork City. But its really a 1 bedroom as the one toilet, and both beds are within 6 foot from each other. And flimsy walls.
Maybe ideal for a couple and 1 kid, but not for two strangers.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Bobstar posted:

When my company bought another company, one of the first things the CEO did was demand all the security cameras pointing at the employees were taken down, which was nice. I think they come as close as possible to fulfilling the whole "think of this company as one big family" thing (which is not very close because it's bollocks, but it could be much worse).

But I think by far the most beneficial cultural aspect is just letting people get on with their jobs and trusting people as adults. I feel like not doing that is responsible for a huge proportion of job-hating.

My company was like this at the start. Totally American in style, if you have 2 seconds extra on your piss break VERBAL WARNING. 1% out of your planned schedule, WRITTEN WARNING.
Do this a few times, and its PIP TIME! And if you get on a PIP, you were a dead man walking unless you turned into the perfect drone.

Then when the upper management started mass redundancies in high profit years, telling us to save money by reducing normal needed stuff, and then giving themselves million $ bonuses,
our local (lower) management suddenly didn't give two fucks what we did. They knew that it wasn't worth burning us out for the the shitheads at the top, or most likely themselves.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Maybe Gove saw the future, where the EU will be shooting UK refugees to prevent them crossing the border.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Big Brain Boris has never said WHICH YEAR we will leave on 31st Oct.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Dead Goon posted:

No, Rod Hull.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

The people that run English cricket read this thread, but then chose the absolute worse snacks to use as sponsorship

https://twitter.com/TheMediaTweets/status/1180064284753235969

They should go full hog and name the players after different flavours of their products.
Though Skips would be hosed.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

bump_fn posted:

remember how boris johnson was mayor of london during the 2011 riots and it didnt completely tank his political career lol

Boris is going to be in the Lords eventually.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Would have thought Glasto would be too corporate for people in this chat to want to go to it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Mental Note: Need to watch Lifeforce again.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
I'm sure it has been mentioned before in previous threads, but Lindsey Ellis's videos about The Hobbit are worth watching.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Chuka Umana posted:

Good evening,

Is Jeremy Corbyn going to become Prime Minister this week?

He's already the Prime Minister of my heart.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

I know its meant to be a joke, but the left lloks like its from the Warhammer codex.
Someone from the Empire probably.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
My family inherited 3 houses which lay in a row, over a hundreds years worth of family history in them all.
We sold them a few years ago so my mum could a bungalow for her old age, these houses were 4 stories and so she couldn't get up the stairs half the time.
Sold for £125k for all three as this is wasteland Northern Ireland and no one wants to live in sheep country.

If they were I am renting now in cork city, they would be just hitting a million.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jose posted:

gently caress off tom watson you massive oval office

https://twitter.com/tom_watson/status/1181642678708195329?s=20

Damaging to your donors, you mean.

gently caress right off. Give the rights back to BBC/ITV to show matches.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

bump_fn posted:

who is colleen rooney who is rebekah vardy why are people retweeting this sorry i’m cstching up on the timeline

A footballers wife, and her friend.
So perfect tosh for tabloids.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

This is what I think how Londoners are normally.
But with more knife stabbings.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It was, he licked it and then politely declined any further offers.

Proof that Pickled Onion is not good.
Good doggo
13/10

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Ratjaculation posted:

In regards to Extinction Rebellion not being extreme enough, we'll all be smashing windows in and killing when the three staple crops fail .

Embassy Regal, Potato Waffles, and Cornettos?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Ratjaculation posted:

My 2010 Macbook still boots up in about 5 seconds. The 2019 Windows laptop I have through work takes that long to even get to any sort of progress screen.

Number of different company hardware combinations of Macs: 1
Number of different company hardware combinations of Windows: Kerbillions.

Windows has to cater to every different way a hardware component has to be, so its startup can be a bit longer yeah.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Part of me thinks the brexit party really doesn’t give a gently caress about NI tbh, but this will still piss them off enough to make a difference I hope

The UK didn't give a gently caress about NI until they were needed for the coalition.
And after that is dissolved NI will be back to 'Those Crazy Religious Fucks To Be Ignored (except when they have bombed our part)'

Its pretty obvious the Brexit Party only gives a gently caress about the English.
After Brexit, the purging of the Scots will begin from the South.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

baka kaba posted:

*eats perfectly straight chlorinated banana*

Guillotine to those who can afford a whole banana to eat

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Oh Mister Ambassador, with these Ferrero Radishes you are spoiling us!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Does anyone know about the local circumstances that have led to Kate Osamor being subject to a trigger ballot.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/12/kate-osamor-becomes-fifth-female-labour-mp-to-face-deselection

quote:

It is unclear why the action has been taken against her, though party sources said there had been some local discontent that she had secured the seat ahead of other candidates.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Looks more of a Shadrach Dingle to me.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Also proper Irn Bru

With Buckfast in it?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Sanitary Naptime posted:

I'm led to believe the two best combinations with buckfast are milk, giving you the buckshake, and red square reloaded, making buckfast reloaded (it's loving lethal)

I just mention it as just was in the off license here 30 mins ago, and they were proudly displaying Buckfast on the main counter.
Its rare to see it around here, and there was two guys ahead of me buying a few bottles each.
One said 'We'll be back for the rest' as they went out.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Pochoclo posted:

Oh lol. I lack that cultural context. What I described is very much a working class thing back home. We wouldn't call it "aperitivo" either, it'd be "vermú" and the whole thing would be a "picada" for which I'm struggling to find an English term for.

Pretty sure they do the same kind of stuff in Italy and Spain where aperitifs are also not posh, since we kinda got it from them.

Hors d'oeuvre?
Not english, but I think this is the term for finger food snacks.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Ah, sure it's himself!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
A circular inch thick wooden chopping board is definitely middle class.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
If its a trifle that has more then 3 fruits in it, guillotine.
Or hand made sponge cake.

Proper working class trifle is made from white bread and 2 fruit max (tin of fruit cocktail allowed).

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Failed Imagineer posted:

I know, I know, weetposting, but the dril energy of this tweet is phenomenal

https://twitter.com/demarionunn/status/1183397214929993728

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR6exO2nJDs

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

marktheando posted:

I don’t want to eat sonic

More of a Tails fan, eh eh nudge nudge

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

njsykora posted:

I can drink beers and cider all night but 2 glasses of wine will put me on my rear end.

I'm similar, if I stay on beers only, or spirits only, I'm fine.
If I have one of the other at any point, Im hosed and throwing up

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

DUP being thrown under the bus

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

wocobob posted:

Is there anything actually better about the backstop on the new deal? As far as I can tell, it's just worse, right?

It allows smuggling on wide scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

sexpig by night posted:

so what's this about a midnight deadline about the Ireland border? What does that mean?

They wont get it on paper in time for the procedure to leave by the 31st.