Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Well people on this very board have discussed their love for General Flynn...

:rolleyes:

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Jeez y'all she got convicted no need to wish further harm on her. Being a cop in jail is probably gonna be pretty loving unbearable, even without the guilt of having murdered an innocent man.

I disagree. I'm waiting for her to get the needle and get the gently caress outta here, for good. Till that happens, she can catch all that hypothetical hatred.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
For the record, I picked Grand Rapids because the first thing I saw coming into the city was a loving DeVos hospital and Trump runs rallies there.

Sure it might look pretty, but on the inside, it's diseased.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

She 👏 watched 👏 him 👏 die 👏 instead 👏 of 👏 helping 👏

Also this

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

She also plead not guilty then sobbed about how guilty she was in shooting a man in his own home and failed to explain all the other issues with her story?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nice two minute hate

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Nice two minute hate

Buddy this is America. We got 1440 minute hate on Fox News every day.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

facialimpediment posted:

I sentence Michael Flynn to

FOUR YEARS IN GRAND RAPIDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny4a-oxOndo

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

colachute posted:

Hey cole can we have monty

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

colachute posted:

As long as we're clear about which example you're emulating.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hey cole can we have monty

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Oh my goodness :3:

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Oooh doggie!!

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
I mean, you'd think there would be a paper trail for this kind of thing, but it's nice to have the confirmation that there's a paper trail that exists, ripe for subpoenas and poo poo.

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1179116028321763330?s=19

Monty for President. A Leader for Ruff Times!

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I'll give you a bit of a perspective, because I'm feeling feisty. I have killed people. Not to be dramatic, but I don't give a gently caress, so I'll be honest.

I watched a man die violently before I entered 1st grade. He had raped a woman (which I unfortunately also watched) and then as he went to leave, accidentally shot himself and bled out. I had resolved at ~11 that I was going to prison, because I was going to kill my Mom's ex next time he snuck in with a KaBar. I don't mean, I thought about it, or thought it might turn violent. I was sure as poo poo that I was going to have to kill him, just as I was sure Bob Barker would remind me to spay my pet. I have killed people for the Army, and nearly killed people outside.
Just because you can have empathy, doesn't mean you are empathetic. I shot a woman low (not a purposeful thing, bad shot) and watched her fall, screaming from the gut shot. I don't feel bad for what I did. I'm sorry she died bad, alone in the street, and that her family will mourn her. I don't feel empathy at the situation/outcome. You can be a "good" person, and not feel remorse. She was more concerned with her own poo poo- she immediately tried to cover up and spin her actions. She didn't help him; she lied to attempt to cover it up; she tried to victim blame. She should suffer. If this hadn't played out as perfectly as it did, she would have walked. If he would have been just random dude, pretty white cop is going to walk. They tried to paint this poor gently caress eating Ice Cream as a criminal after his death. The fact that everything went as perfectly as it did isn't a harbinger of change in our justice system as an example of a broken clock.

If she had just went, l with a"I hosed up terribly, and I can't fix it. I take responsibility for what I did, and I'm sorry." statement, I could see finding sympathy. But gently caress her. She violated the law, her postion, the social contract, and the public trust, then accepted no real responsibility. I hope she gets nothing but cold showers and nutriloaf on a good loving day inside.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
guilty verdict good, of course, and long overdue

especially in the face of these shitstains:

quote:

Before the jury was seated on day six of the trial of Amber Guyger on Saturday, former Dallas police chief Craig Miller was called by the defense as an expert witness to testify about a temporary condition called “inattentional blindness”.

Miller said the condition was not universally accepted in the scientific community. But, he said, based on “the totality of the evidence” he thought the former officer was justified in shooting Botham Jean, whose apartment she says she entered after mistaking it for her own.

The judge ordered that Miller would not be allowed to say that in front of a jury, but said he would be allowed to testify regarding a narrow range of issues related to officer distraction.

The jury then heard around five minutes of testimony on day six of the trial before being sent home.

Guyger, 31, who is white, is on trial for murder after she shot Jean, 26, who was black, in September last year. The accountant was alone in his apartment when Guyger came through his front door.

On Friday, Guyger testified that she mistook Jean’s fourth-floor apartment for her own, which is one floor below. She said she parked on the wrong level of the apartment complex and walked through the unlocked door, thinking it was her own.

She said she killed Jean in self-defense, mistakenly thinking he was a burglar who would harm her.

“I hate that I have to live with this every single day of my life and I ask God for forgiveness, and I hate myself every single day,” Guyger told the jury.

The jury will consider whether Guyger is guilty of murder, a lesser crime such as manslaughter or criminally negligent homicide, or if she is not guilty.

On Saturday, they heard again from David Armstrong of the Texas Department of Public Safety, for about five minutes. He said Guyger may not have had a normal perception in the tense situation.

As with Miller, Armstrong told lawyers he believed Guyger’s actions were reasonable. The jury was not present for that remark.

Jurors will report back to the court on Monday.

quote:

Both hinge on the argument that it made sense for Guyger to feel threatened by Jean. Texas Ranger David Armstrong and retired Dallas police deputy chief Craig Miller each contend that it did, with the former telling jurors that Guyger, due to her heightened stress upon confronting someone she perceived to be an intruder, may not have been perceiving the situation as she normally would, according to the Dallas Morning News. Speaking only to the judge and legal teams soon after, Miller followed by raising his “inattentional blindness” defense, claiming that Guyger was too distracted to recognize, in the moment, that she’d parked on the wrong deck and entered the wrong apartment. Judge Tammy Kemp ruled that Miller wasn’t allowed to make this argument before the actual jury. Miller did argue, though — as Armstrong had before him — that Guyger’s actions were reasonable, based on his own beliefs about what drove her behavior.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
There's also the part where I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to be walking (or driving) around with a loaded weapon when you're intoxicated.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The Texas Rangers that did everything they could to make it so she wouldn't be charged and then continued to argue she didn't deserve to be charged should be facing obstruction of justice charges and an unemployment notice.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Trump hasn't tweeted anything in 6 hours.

:tinfoil:

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
So cops have zero expectation to do de-escalation of force? I mean she walks in to an apartment, a dude is in there chilling, and she shoots him without a "hey what's your deal"

I guess the handymen in her building are lucky they haven't forgotten to put out the "hey we're working on your poo poo" signs.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BigDave posted:

Trump hasn't tweeted anything in 6 hours.

:tinfoil:

Elvis?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Sure it might look pretty, but on the inside, it's diseased.

But enough about late stage capitalism. And what timing, The Dead Flag Blues just came up on my Spotify

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

I want your dog! In a nice way :D

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I really liked the part of the trial where they tried to use the castle doctrine to defend the invading murderer instead of the guy eating ice cream in his own place. That part was super loving cool. I get it as a part of the adversarial nature of our court system but holy gently caress that was some brazen bullshittery.

And for every rear end in a top hat bleating about how this will make cops afraid to "do their jobs" now; loving good. They should be afraid of murdering citizens.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Arcella posted:

So cops have zero expectation to do de-escalation of force?

De-escalation for cops is pulling the trigger. Once the other party is dead, there's no more need for force.

bird food bathtub posted:

I really liked the part of the trial where they tried to use the castle doctrine to defend the invading murderer instead of the guy eating ice cream in his own place. That part was super loving cool. I get it as a part of the adversarial nature of our court system but holy gently caress that was some brazen bullshittery.

Sounds like a new strain of "affluenza", for police rather than rich assholes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Since the jury came back with murder I assume they rejected the "accidentally went to the wrong apartment" excuse which means that all the tying in knots people were doing was irrelevant?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Arcella posted:

So cops have zero expectation to do de-escalation of force?

That's almost always a departmental decision, though new laws like California's "must be necessary" to use lethal force law may change things. We will see what happens with that down the line.

Either way, Guyger's murder hardly falls under department policy since she broke into a dude's residence while hammered and off duty and then shot him. That's not part of the job.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Pompeo's gambit didn't work. Volker was a ground-zero guy dealing with containing the Rudy fallout and he recently resigned. Yovanovitch was the American ambassador that Donnie got rid of because she was likely too squeaky-clean for this bullshit.

https://twitter.com/ErinBanco/status/1179134004362186752?s=19

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

bird food bathtub posted:

And for every rear end in a top hat bleating about how this will make cops afraid to "do their jobs" now; loving good. They should be afraid of murdering citizens.

I can’t recall if I saw it here or elsewhere but I saw an explanation suggesting that the reason why SYG was a part of the jury instructions was so to minimize that angle in case her counsel filed an appeal later. Of course, the optics of that are SUPER loving bad to begin with.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The explanation as I understood it was that by not allowing the castle doctrine defense to be heard, it would open up as grounds for appeal later, by arguing that they should have been able to use that defense and it should have been considered. Since it was allowed, that angle is no longer available.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Holy poo poo, Joseph Mifsud (the professor that talked to Georgie Papadop and then disappeared) is apparently alive, in Italy, and recorded a tape for Italian Intelligence and Barr heard it.

https://twitter.com/justinjm1/status/1179136837597716480?s=19

Fuckin nutso.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/LaVendrickS/status/1179134883710545920?s=20

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

proud of that jury

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1179009062509395968

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Yeah, seriously. gently caress her.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I hope the “when does it end” texter loses their job.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Holy gently caress bury her under the jail

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Two people made that joke.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

https://twitter.com/LaVendrickS/status/1179137759988125697

Woman is an absolute psycho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Internet Wizard posted:

The Texas Rangers that did everything they could to make it so she wouldn't be charged and then continued to argue she didn't deserve to be charged should be facing obstruction of justice charges and an unemployment notice.

This is literally the entire purpose of the Texas Rangers