Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Doesn't matter whether it's green or not. They're trying to guilt trip the individual while letting big businesses off the hook for doing the real damage. gently caress em

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

I think it's basically time to say goodbye to Deadspin. It looks like today was the mass exodus day, where management tried to get the best writers and editors to move on. The best writers and editors did indeed move on, giving management the collective finger, telling them to get hosed, and quitting before the Hedge Bros completely took it over.

The tragedy isn't Deadspin, it's Clickhole and the Onion which are under the same ownership structure. It's okay though, the talent are brilliant enough that they can start anew (it's not like start-up costs for blogs are that high). That said, in the meantime, we'll all bear witness to the decline of quality satire :(

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

indeed, stickin2sports.com is available.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Suicide Watch posted:

The tragedy isn't Deadspin, it's Clickhole and the Onion which are under the same ownership structure. It's okay though, the talent are brilliant enough that they can start anew (it's not like start-up costs for blogs are that high). That said, in the meantime, we'll all bear witness to the decline of quality satire :(

Yeah, here's the list of things that are either dying or will be dead soon enough.

https://twitter.com/arayyay/status/1189677019631517696

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
ReAl dEmoCrATs

https://twitter.com/justicedems/status/1189298921434222592?s=19

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

gently caress these assholes

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
So just NAFTA then, right?

Also the intercept is garbage now. Might as well be posting redstate articles.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I just call Centrists Quislings now. Collaborators.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

hey the reagan library might burn down and that's pretty loving rad

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Who is the once and future king of the GOP they got lined up anyway

Tom Brady

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

EBB posted:

hey the reagan library might burn down and that's pretty loving rad

Not really, we'd lose a ton of documentation of Reagan's crimes.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

bird cooch posted:

So just NAFTA then, right?

Also the intercept is garbage now. Might as well be posting redstate articles.

Uh, what? Why?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My boss, who is Spanish, was talking about how he doesn't think exhuming Franco was appropriate today. I manages to stop myself from mentioning how much I'd like to exhume Ronnie and chuck him in a landfill. Right after holding a Cadaver Synod to make him answer for Iran Contra, Beirut, etc... Let's see how the friends of Benjamin Ghazi like that.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Not really, we'd lose a ton of documentation of Reagan's crimes.

Also they'd just rebuild it.

Hell, they might do that anyway, it's in the spirit of how the Reagans would act.

Edit: in my journalism class in Canada, on the day George H. W. Bush died they were a little taken aback at how glad I was, that is until I explained why he was such an enormous piece of poo poo.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Crakkerjakk posted:

Uh, what? Why?

Well the only time you see greenwald's who is the co-founder of the intercept is on Tucker or hannity defending the administration and Russia. Also they straight up outed reality winner.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Trump Presidential Library is gonna be something

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've seen good stuff from The Intercept. None of from Camrade Greenwald mind you.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

bird cooch posted:

Well the only time you see greenwald's who is the co-founder of the intercept is on Tucker or hannity defending the administration and Russia. Also they straight up outed reality winner.

He also supported the Iraq war but now denies ever doing so.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

C.M. Kruger posted:

He also supported the Iraq war but now denies ever doing so.
:laugh: The only reason he ever got any credibility is that he attacked W a bunch during his presidency.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I tried listening to Chapo Traphouse consistently and made it about two weeks before they had Greenwald on as a special guest and noped right out of there when he started spinning up his tankie takes on how great venezuela is.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1189715310766645254?s=21

This just aired during the World Series broadcast here in Milwaukee. 🤮

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Internet Wizard posted:

Coloring books, Richard Scarey, Golden Books, and Dr Seuss

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Internet Wizard posted:

On fire constantly?

A gold plated pile of poo poo with grover levels of architectural design?

A hole in the ground we throw money into?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

I tried listening to Chapo Traphouse consistently and made it about two weeks before they had Greenwald on as a special guest and noped right out of there when he started spinning up his tankie takes on how great venezuela is.

This week's episode was a banger. They had an interview with a member of the CTU bargaining team and the reading series was Eric Trump's hill.com op-ed.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Internet Wizard posted:

Illustrated Mein Kampf.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Casimir Radon posted:

I've seen good stuff from The Intercept. None of from Camrade Greenwald mind you.

I thought I saw his name on the Lavo Jato stuff out of Brasil that proved that the prosecutors and judge in their anti-corruption task force were working together to convict Lula on questionable charges before the election, which ended up handing the election to the fascist captain planet villain.

My impression is he's mostly sticking to Brazil and editor stuff these days.

Do think he needs to stop going on the white power hour though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Flying_Crab posted:

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1189715310766645254?s=21

This just aired during the World Series broadcast here in Milwaukee. 🤮

Thanks I loving hate him

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Internet Wizard posted:

The library at Florence is probably pretty good, yeah.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

https://www.facebook.com/920743434636339/posts/2825158034194860?sfns=mo

Love the militarization of the police

Like look at that loving thing

It's for rescuing people, obviously.

Whether they want it or not.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Syrian Lannister posted:

Coloring books, Richard Scarey, Golden Books, and Dr Seuss

That's generous of you to assume that there will be any books not authored by Donald Trump in the library, and that you won't have to buy them to take them out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LongDarkNight posted:

Illustrated Mein Kampf.

That or Trump is going to embezzle the funds for it.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I can't listen to it regularly, but Chapo is a good once or twice a month listen. Also Felix would be a better Cumtown host than any of the Cumtown dudes.

In real news, this sure is wild:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/10/30/police-blew-up-an-innocent-mans-house-search-an-armed-shoplifter-too-bad-court-rules/

quote:

Police blew up an innocent man’s house in search of an armed shoplifter. Too bad, court rules.

By
Meagan Flynn
Oct. 30, 2019 at 4:58 a.m. MDT
When they were finished, it looked as though the Greenwood Village, Colo., police had blasted rockets through the house.

Projectiles were still lodged in the walls. Glass and wooden paneling crumbled on the ground below the gaping holes, and inside, the family’s belongings and furniture appeared thrashed in a heap of insulation and drywall. Leo Lech, who rented the home to his son, thought it looked like al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden’s compound after the raid that killed him.

But now it was just a neighborhood crime scene, the suburban home where an armed Walmart shoplifting suspect randomly barricaded himself after fleeing the store on a June afternoon in 2015. For 19 hours, the suspect holed up in a bathroom as a SWAT team fired gas munition and 40-millimeter rounds through the windows, drove an armored vehicle through the doors, tossed flash-bang grenades inside and used explosives to blow out the walls.

The suspect was captured alive, but the home was utterly destroyed, eventually condemned by the City of Greenwood Village.

That left Leo Lech’s son, John Lech — who lived there with his girlfriend and her 9-year-old son — without a home. The city refused to compensate the Lech family for their losses but offered $5,000 in temporary rental assistance and for the insurance deductible.

Now, after the Leches sued, a federal appeals court has decided what else the city owes the Lech family for destroying their house more than four years ago: nothing.

On Tuesday, a three-judge panel for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit unanimously ruled that the city is not required to compensate the Lech family for their lost home because it was destroyed by police while they were trying to enforce the law, rather than taken by eminent domain.

The Lechs had sued under the Fifth Amendment’s Takings Clause, which guarantees citizens compensation if their property is seized by the government for public use. But the court said that Greenwood Village was acting within its “police power” when it damaged the house, which the court said doesn’t qualify as a “taking” under the Fifth Amendment. The court acknowledged that this may seem “unfair,” but when police have to protect the public, they can’t be “burdened with the condition” that they compensate whomever is damaged by their actions along the way.

“It just goes to show that they can blow up your house, throw you out on the streets and say, ‘See you later. Deal with it,’ ” Leo Lech said in an interview with The Washington Post on Tuesday. “What happened to us should never happen in this country, ever.”

Leo Lech said he is considering appealing to the U.S. Supreme Court. Police must be forced to draw the line at some point, he said — preferably before a house is gutted — and be held accountable if innocent bystanders lose everything as a result of the actions of law enforcement.

In a statement to The Post, a spokeswoman for Greenwood Village said the city never refused to help the Lechs, saying the family was “very well insured” and refused the $5,000 assistance for out-of-pocket expenses before insurance kicked in. The spokeswoman, Melissa Gallegos, applauded the 10th Circuit’s ruling.

“The house was being used as a barricade, and the damage done to it was to remove the barricade and get the gunman out without any loss of life," Gallegos said. "That is not a use of another’s property under eminent domain, but a use of another’s property during a police emergency.”

In June 2015, the standoff at Lech’s suburban Denver home captivated and alarmed the public, as their house at the end of the street, one located by a baseball field complex and a park, suddenly turned into a quasi-war zone.

The suspect, Robert Jonathan Seacat, had stolen a shirt and a couple of belts from a Walmart in neighboring Aurora, Colo., and then fled in a Lexus, according to a police affidavit. A police officer pursued him in a high-speed chase until Seacat parked his car near a light rail station, hopped a nearby fence leading to the interstate, and then crossed five lanes of traffic on foot. He climbed the fence on the other side — and then, shortly thereafter, came upon the Lech residence.

A 9-year-old boy, John Lech’s girlfriend’s son, was home alone at the time, waiting for his mom to return from the grocery store, Lech said. He told police he was watching YouTube videos in his room when he heard the alarm trip, according to the affidavit. He emerged to find a man walking up the stairs, holding a gun. “He said, ‘I don’t want to hurt anybody. I just want to get away,' " Lech said. Minutes later, the boy walked out of the house unharmed.

Seacat then began searching the house for car keys. But by the time he got in the car parked in Lech’s garage, police had pulled into the driveway. Seacat fired a shot at them through the garage, the affidavit says.

Thus began the 19-hour standoff.

“They proceed to destroy the house — room by room, by room, by room,” Lech said. “This is one guy with a handgun. This guy was sleeping. This guy was eating. This guy was just hanging out in this house. I mean, they proceeded to blow up the entire house.”

SWAT officers attempted to enter the home on one occasion but retreated after believing they heard Seacat fire several rounds. After other tactics, including tear gas, robots and police negotiations, repeatedly failed, SWAT officers tried again to enter the home at 8:21 the next morning. They found him holed up in a bathroom with a stash of drugs, where he was disarmed and arrested.

When the Lech family was allowed back on the property to retrieve their belongings, they were aghast at what they found.

John Lech, his girlfriend and her son moved in with Leo Lech and his wife, who lived 30 miles away, requiring John to change jobs. The $5,000 offered by the city “was insulting,” Leo Lech said.

His expenses to rebuild the house and replace all its contents cost him nearly $400,000, he said. While insurance did cover structural damage initially, his son did not have renter’s insurance and so insurance did not cover replacement of the home’s contents, and he says he is still in debt today from loans he took out.

“This has ruined our lives,” he said.

Gallegos stressed that any large expenses Lech incurred are because he chose to do more than necessary, and chose to “repour the foundation that wasn’t damaged, and [build] a bigger better house where the old one stood.” Lech insisted starting from scratch was necessary.

Previously, police have defended their actions during the standoff.

“My mission is to get that individual out unharmed and make sure my team and everyone else around including the community goes home unharmed,” Greenwood Village Police Commander Dustin Varney said in 2015, KUSA reported. “Sometimes that means property gets damaged, and I am sorry for that.”

State and federal courts have ruled differently in cases involving innocent homeowners caught in deadly police raids, although the 10th Circuit was more persuaded by courts ruling in police’s favor.

Lech’s lawyers pointed to a 1991 Minnesota case in which the state Supreme Court sided with a woman whose house was damaged by police with tear gas as they sought to apprehend a suspect. In a 1980 Houston case, the Texas Supreme Court sided with a couple whose home was badly damaged as police sought to apprehend three suspects who barricaded themselves inside.

In that case, the Texas court turned up its nose at the principle the 10th Circuit stuck to so closely in its ruling: that unless a government’s action is clearly labeled “eminent domain,” citizens aren’t entitled to compensation if the police destroy their property as a matter of business.

“This court has moved beyond the earlier notion that the government’s duty to pay for taking property rights is excused by labeling the taking as an exercise of police powers,” the Texas court wrote at the time.

Today, the Leches’ Greenwood Village home has been rebuilt. Lech says he is dipping into his 401(k) to afford the legal battle but intends to continue as long as he is able. He says he thinks he has too much bad luck to make it to the Supreme Court but believes that someone else like him will get there.

“This can’t go on in this country,” he said. “There has to be a limit. There has to be accountability.”

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

makes sense he did kill unarmed civilians and attempted to justify it through a insane political manifesto

should have been a SEAL

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I LIKE PEOPLE WHO DON'T GET CAPTURED!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Casimir Radon posted:

I LIKE PEOPLE WHO DON'T GET CAPTURED!

He was never captured.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

just a reminder dorner never once actually shot any LAPD officers. Closest he came was his first two murders when he killed a unarmed woman who was related to his defense attorney (former LAPD captain) and her fiancee. Everyone else he killed was from other departments.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

ded posted:

He was never captured.
:thejoke:

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bengy81 posted:

I can't listen to it regularly, but Chapo is a good once or twice a month listen. Also Felix would be a better Cumtown host than any of the Cumtown dudes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/10/30/police-blew-up-an-innocent-mans-house-search-an-armed-shoplifter-too-bad-court-rules/

Felix is by far the best one on that show, Matt can gently caress off back to Wisconsin with his $5 words

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

bengy81 posted:

all that poo poo over a shirt and a couple of belts