Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

quote:

We care about our country and want to work with our government and do good things. But

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sharks... with lasers

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

DAS Super! posted:

Jesus the RNC and Trump pulled in over 100 mil in fundraising

One of the Koch bros couldnt take it with them so its gotta go somewhere I guess.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/RonWyden/status/1179412860969082885

:toot:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

funny news about that today

they denied permission for him to expand that golf course

Minutes before the tarrif announcement?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Looks pretty close.

If only there were consequences for making national policy as punishment for your personal business not getting decisions in their favor.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

egyptian rat race posted:

Republicans will be just fine impeaching Trump if/when becomes politically necessary. Some of my chuddier friends are already talking about how it might just have been God's plan to give us three years of wandering in the desert before Pence ascends the throne

Yup. My mom "voted for Pence"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

KOTH is a great show but it's better that it didn't become a shambling corpse like The Simpsons.

It's the best documentary ever made imo

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah he's more or less the bumbling junkie of the family but raked in millions by virtue of being a Biden. Presumably he'd still be rich as hell with a Yale law degree, just not as rich.

Joe Biden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdtfcOlr0tk

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

how is wohl so bad at this

how, my god, for someone who is criming all the goddamn time he is just abhorrently bad at it.

He's been trending on twitter for two solid days and literally everywhere I've looked online has been talking about him a good bit for most of that time. I imagine it's for the attention.

He's going to court in 3 weeks iirc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

2 days ago news outlets claimed Perry was getting pulled into the Ukraine investigation. Yesterday this started getting reported

https://mobile.twitter.com/NoahBookbinder/status/1179876476415610884

Now he's resigning in a month...

:thunk:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

The China poo poo also poses a real interesting question with the call logs: should the Democrats fight in court for them?

Right now, there's plenty of evidence in the clear for articles of impeachment. You don't need the call transcripts, or any of that poo poo, Donnie's admitted to it all in public. You can do the impeachment articles and the trial quick.

But, if you want the call transcripts and all the other poo poo, you're going to have to fight in court. Trump is going to stall (lol you get nothing, it's not a real impeachment inquiry until you vote, lol your subpoena wasn't printed on glossy white paper so it's invalid get hosed) and you won't get anything for months. But you really, really want to know what's in those transcripts.

So, do you get the articles out quick and gently caress the transcripts? Or, do you drag out impeachment to get the transcripts, getting bogged down in the courts? I don't really know.

Tough call but I think the drag out, get more documents approach lets you run the tables on putting more people in jail (inshallah) after impeachment is over.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Hexyflexy posted:

Just bear in mind there've been a shitload of people in the administration who've been prosecuted. Which is.. nuts. This is 5 aides. That is not loving normal.

I can barely remember wtf George Papadopoulos was.

I think that if we reverse the current course we are on as a nation then we will have the fun sideshow of putting members of this administration in prison for the next decade. If we don't then we get the horrorshow of members of this administration winning more public offices over the next decade.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

MRC48B posted:

Real Press Sec Bot is a joke twitter bot somebody ginned up when they realized that trump's tweets are technically Official Government Announcements.

It basically reformats every tweet he makes into that image and retweets them. Thats it.

It is valuable in that it keeps a record of everything trump has tweeted in office, even if he wants to delete or edit it later.

I like it because you can view all his poo poo if you want without actually following him.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Too fat for a meth head

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

How much does TSA cost to run each year?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Did Turkey end up buying those S-400s?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Getting out of Open Skies only helps Russia basically right?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1181553636444426240

Proxy war against a NATO member?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Boy were they

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1182022051139334145

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

Dam's breaking. Another impeachable offense leaked out, this one way older, Tillerson-era. Rudy's involved, Tillerson got the ask.

https://twitter.com/business/status/1182060489406324739

Why do I feel like this will actually be big?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

My grandparents lived in Alexandria, LA and I have family in Dallas so I've been in those areas a lot.

loving :laffo: at anyone driving from Alex to Dallas for weed just loving lol lol lol. No one would do that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

So why would Trump just suddenly pivot from talking about Erdogan to ranting about light bul...

OH COME THE gently caress ON

I just imagine Putin, stoned off his rear end, laughing talking to an aide:

"See, see if we can make him rant about... light bulbs, yeah light bulbs, no fuckin reason for it, see if he'll do it!"

"Uh ok sir but I don't think he's that dumb"

"lol"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

The Trump-appointed judge on this Tax appeal case is really, really fuckin dumb, as was expected/feared.

https://twitter.com/theglipper/status/1182660184696655876?s=19

https://twitter.com/TimothyRaben/status/1182663325701804037?s=19

She literally asked during oral arguments why the House didn't vote, so the House did, then she made up some other bullshit reason. Going to be fun dealing with these idiots on the bench for decades.

quote:

we can't investigate the president to determine if he has committed any impeachable offenses... unless we're impeaching him.

But we can't impeach him unless we determine there are impeachable offenses

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

At 40 I can jog 1 mile in 9:10, maybe crack 8:00 for it if I am vomiting after.

That dude is awesome.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I remember the 1st big slap that Theranos got from USDA along with some known HIPAA violations I think. Their response was the general "move fast break things / we're being disruptive these regulations are too stifling" kind of approach.

This was a year or two before the wheels came off but I remember reading the initial news of the complaint and Theranos's PR statement on it and thinking "oh man they are going to be so so hammered if they don't unfuck themselves ASAP". I deal with HIPPA, biosafety, HIPAA, IRB / IBC poo poo for a living and they don't gently caress around once you get on their radar.

E: It was obvious that if there were any professionals on the biology side over there that they were so far down the corporate ladder that they never had a chance to actually make a difference in anything. Anyone trained in that area who was part of management would have known that you can't blow off that poo poo like they did.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Churchill posted:

HBO made the documentary, The Inventor, there was also a book by the guy who first wrote an article calling out Theranos on their bullshit, Bad Blood. They're both pretty good, also the book is being made in to a movie by the same director who made Vice and The Big Short. I really liked those films and I think the Theranos story would work really well with his directing style.

Edit:

There was one guy fairly high up that was hand picked early on, very respected in his field and I think a professor. He did just that, tried to make them realise the mistakes they were making and to just confess the tech didn't actually work and just start over.

He was bullied, forced out and had his name dragged through the mud to such an extent that he ended up killing himself :(

I like that director as well, I'd definitely check that out.

I've kinda avoided the documentary poo poo about all of it because I constantly have to deal with people doing bad science poo poo to the extent that I now teach a class on Pseudoscience so it kinda almost seemed like work to watch it. Heard it was good though. One day I'll give it a ago.

loving :smith: about the professor. gently caress those people.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

This is infuriating

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Yeah well where was Italy on D-Day?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Trump was talking about bringing troops home and in the next sentence mentions sending more troops to Saudi Arabia and "in a matter of minutes negotiated that the Saudi's pay for the costs of our deployment." Paraphrasing but then 'they're paying, they should be paying, they're very wealthy and they should be paying much more for our protection". Then goes on to slam NATO for not paying and talks about this as a "debt" owed to us.

E: "Nato, some people are saying it doesn't benefit us at all. It does benefit Europe but then they're bad to us on trade, not fair"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

When Nancy holds some people to account for ignoring subpoenas from Congress I'll think she's a "badass". Until then the scoreboard is Chuds 1, everyone else 0

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The administration acting like "every one does this criminal thing actually, get over it #MAGA" was always 100% going to be one of the next steps.

Typically the Dems next steps would be some "this is concerning" type of noise with no meaningful action and then the press is onto another outrage by Monday.

I'll be (pleasantly) surprised when things actually matter as I think right now this was just on the list of definite occurrences.

I hope house Dems understand that unless they start getting as drastic as possible swiftly then there's no need for a Congress at all next year.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Woodchip posted:

It's Istanbul with white phosphor-ople

lol

FrozenVent posted:

Moody also said mortgage backed security were super strong, no danger of collapse.

And that Hillary would win.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Wasn't Kasich rumoured to be his VP pick and get to be Shadow President and all Trump had to do was be lauded for bi-partisanship and play golf

A wet dream of "fiscal conservative social liberals"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ragaman posted:

Mexican John Wick over here

Juan Wick

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

poo poo's been kinda blowing up in Lebanon, anti-gov protests due to austerity measures etc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

:dudsmile:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Not that it matters much but something interesting at NPR. Was listening to the media roundup show while cooking this morning and the host just straight up saying "The United States betrayed the Kurds" and later "at that point when the US sold out the Kurds" was kind of surreal to hear a host say out loud. Usually they do the super evasive minimizing language.

Not really huge news but it's a tonal shift I haven't heard before. At least the critiques are becoming more honest / straightforward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I was honestly expecting the media take on it to be something like:

"US forces moved assistance away from the anti-ISIS kurdish seperatists" or something like that instead of "we sold em out guys"