Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
guilty verdict good, of course, and long overdue

especially in the face of these shitstains:

quote:

Before the jury was seated on day six of the trial of Amber Guyger on Saturday, former Dallas police chief Craig Miller was called by the defense as an expert witness to testify about a temporary condition called “inattentional blindness”.

Miller said the condition was not universally accepted in the scientific community. But, he said, based on “the totality of the evidence” he thought the former officer was justified in shooting Botham Jean, whose apartment she says she entered after mistaking it for her own.

The judge ordered that Miller would not be allowed to say that in front of a jury, but said he would be allowed to testify regarding a narrow range of issues related to officer distraction.

The jury then heard around five minutes of testimony on day six of the trial before being sent home.

Guyger, 31, who is white, is on trial for murder after she shot Jean, 26, who was black, in September last year. The accountant was alone in his apartment when Guyger came through his front door.

On Friday, Guyger testified that she mistook Jean’s fourth-floor apartment for her own, which is one floor below. She said she parked on the wrong level of the apartment complex and walked through the unlocked door, thinking it was her own.

She said she killed Jean in self-defense, mistakenly thinking he was a burglar who would harm her.

“I hate that I have to live with this every single day of my life and I ask God for forgiveness, and I hate myself every single day,” Guyger told the jury.

The jury will consider whether Guyger is guilty of murder, a lesser crime such as manslaughter or criminally negligent homicide, or if she is not guilty.

On Saturday, they heard again from David Armstrong of the Texas Department of Public Safety, for about five minutes. He said Guyger may not have had a normal perception in the tense situation.

As with Miller, Armstrong told lawyers he believed Guyger’s actions were reasonable. The jury was not present for that remark.

Jurors will report back to the court on Monday.

quote:

Both hinge on the argument that it made sense for Guyger to feel threatened by Jean. Texas Ranger David Armstrong and retired Dallas police deputy chief Craig Miller each contend that it did, with the former telling jurors that Guyger, due to her heightened stress upon confronting someone she perceived to be an intruder, may not have been perceiving the situation as she normally would, according to the Dallas Morning News. Speaking only to the judge and legal teams soon after, Miller followed by raising his “inattentional blindness” defense, claiming that Guyger was too distracted to recognize, in the moment, that she’d parked on the wrong deck and entered the wrong apartment. Judge Tammy Kemp ruled that Miller wasn’t allowed to make this argument before the actual jury. Miller did argue, though — as Armstrong had before him — that Guyger’s actions were reasonable, based on his own beliefs about what drove her behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Arcella posted:

So cops have zero expectation to do de-escalation of force?

De-escalation for cops is pulling the trigger. Once the other party is dead, there's no more need for force.

bird food bathtub posted:

I really liked the part of the trial where they tried to use the castle doctrine to defend the invading murderer instead of the guy eating ice cream in his own place. That part was super loving cool. I get it as a part of the adversarial nature of our court system but holy gently caress that was some brazen bullshittery.

Sounds like a new strain of "affluenza", for police rather than rich assholes.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The explanation as I understood it was that by not allowing the castle doctrine defense to be heard, it would open up as grounds for appeal later, by arguing that they should have been able to use that defense and it should have been considered. Since it was allowed, that angle is no longer available.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

quote:

Bad posts bad posts
Whatcha gonna do
Whatcha gonna do when they probate you

In other news, has there been any chat about the California vs NCAA feud? Because that whole mess is going to be delicious, even if it takes until 2023.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

facialimpediment posted:

Getting worse, by the way. These are real screenshots.

https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1179183272368263174

Today is also the second anniversary of the Las Vegas shooting.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Even beyond the presidential elections, there's a ton of work that needs to be done getting progressives into local and state governments, as well as the Senate.

Crakkerjakk posted:

You're right. People understand stories, and stories work best when there are villains. That said, I think most people are perfectly willing to go along with "the bad guy is your boss/landlord/rich assholes, they are loving you, and there are more of us than there are of them."

You'd have to hope this gets past the "temporarily embarrassed millionaire" mindset, though. Some people are more than happy to get poo poo on by someone above as long as they get to poo poo on someone else below.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Here’s some more very normal treatment of a veteran and journalist at Dulles, an airport serving the capital region of our very normal country.

quote:

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2019/10/us-customs-officer-harasses-defense-one-journalist-dulles/160380/

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Is Trump just doing the presidential equivalent of running down a grocery store aisle with his arm in a shelf, knocking everything over? He seems to have gotten particularly unhinged as of late

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I can only imagine this administration is trying to see how high they can get the crime/time ratio

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Well I think I'm starting to understand the whole crack-ping feeling now :psyduck:

At this point it's less crack-ping and more twitch-crack-kabloosh :psyboom:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

the calls are coming from inside the white house :iiam:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Not wearing a seatbelt is a great way to get thrown out of the car and into the afterlife.

quote:

fuckerberg

wish he'd make like steve jobs

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Republican hypocrisy is a pre-escelator concept. When you're pushing for an authoritarian single-party state you frame it as a struggle for survival against pure evil and then say nothing you do matters because the other guys are worse.

Benghazi was bad because they did it, violating security protocols is good because we did it.

IOKIYAR

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Eej posted:

Facebook, Youtube and tech companies being complicit in allowing this poo poo to spread for the sake of money

But but but algorithms!!!!

"Complicit" doesn't feel like a strong enough word for what they're doing; in a lot of cases they violate their own supposed terms by allowing that kind of trash to spread, because it drives ~engagement~ and more ad revenue.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Best way I heard this described is that social media is the weaponization of loneliness and stress. The social media companies weaponize it to drive that engagement, and the advertisers pay for it to happen so they can modify your behavior. Whether that modification is to make you buy more toothpaste or to disbelieve the idea of a shared, fact-based political discourse it's all the same to the amoral sociopaths making money off your loneliness and stress.

Been pretty happy since I cut my Facebook to once-a-month and only for DMs.

Less that, and more that anger and sensationalism gets attention. Fox News rose up in getting everyone enraged about mundane normal stuff because poors/blacks/mexicans!!!. Social media just let the average person play the game instead of only the news outlets and media companies, and in making it mainstream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

one way to rear end-ist the investigation