Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Seriously, why the gently caress did the judge even allow that to be considered. Hope she dies in prison.

I think it's just first degree murder so her sentence range is 5-99 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

US manufacturing and agricultural sectors are already in a recession and it continues to get worse.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

BigDave posted:

Hey so uh that economy thing is looking a little banged up:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/02/business/economy/markets-world-trade.html

We've been barreling towards a recession for a while now, and it's here. Manufacturing and agriculture have already been in a recession for multiple quarters now. Housing prices are stagnant and falling. Cutting rates again is going to do nothing to stave off the coming crash.

Unfortunately, the fed has cut rates to near zero, which means that they have very little wiggle room as far as monetary policy to help out during the recession.
The next recession is going to suuuuuuck.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:rip: bernie I hope warren can win.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The president is extremely not mad:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1179422987684077568

E: Editing because this tweet will probably get deleted and corrected:

The President posted:

The Do Nothing Democrats should be focused on building up our Country, not wasting everyone’s time and energy on BULLSHIT, which is what they have been doing ever since I got overwhelmingly elected in 2016, 223-306. Get a better candidate this time, you’ll need it!

The 2016 electoral college was 227-304.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Oct 2, 2019

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, I read this last night and it definitely made me change my mind on things. I think if we want to unfuck this country we need to nominate the leftmost candidate possible, and that's just not Warren. Not saying I won't vote for her in the general, but she's not my #1 preference right now. It's kind of weird that people are freaking out about other people saying that.

:lol: who remaining is to the left of warren?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

hobbesmaster posted:

joat mon in the detainment thread says that the way Texas decides between first and second degree murder is that the jury picks the appropriate sentence during the penalty phase. The potential range for 2nd degree murder in Texas is between 2-20 years. I wonder if the jury just said "ok we think its 2nd degree, just take the middle of the range I guess, lets go home"

It's not first or second degree murder. There are no degrees in TX. She was convicted of murder, which is a first degree felony. It is possible to reduce that to a second degree felony at sentencing if it was a crime of passion, but this was not.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Guiliani said that he sent over the documents the state IG took to congress today back in March. For those that weren't keeping up, the State IG came to report about the active smear campaign against biden and yovanovitch coming from the white house. The IG rolled up with an envelope that was given to the state department with a bunch of conspiracy theory nonsense in Trump hotel folders.

e:
https://twitter.com/nataliewsj/status/1179502586489180163

https://twitter.com/MichaelRWarren/status/1179556080180969473

AND BONUS:

https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1179559098695737344

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 3, 2019

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Handsome Ralph posted:

So wait, was the IG trolling congress or was he showing up with documents to show the lengths Trump, Pampeo, etc. are going to discredit things?

Check out my edit. Here's a statement from the three chairs:

quote:

Three Chairs Statement on State Department Inspector General Briefing
f t # e
Washington, October 2, 2019
Washington, D.C. (Oct. 2, 2019)— Today, Rep. Eliot L. Engel, the Chairman of the Committee on Foreign Affairs, Rep. Adam Schiff, the Chairman of the Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence, and Rep. Elijah E. Cummings, the Chairman of the Committee on Oversight and Reform, released the following statement after committee staff received a briefing from the State Department Inspector General:

“Today, the State Department Inspector General provided an unclassified briefing and documents to House and Senate Committees. The Inspector General believes this matter is urgent in light of the complaint filed by a whistleblower regarding the President’s July 25, 2019, call in which he pressed the Ukrainian President to smear President Trump’s domestic political rival.

“The briefing and documents raise troubling questions about apparent efforts inside and outside the Trump Administration to target specific officials, including former Vice President Joe Biden’s son and then-U.S. Ambassador to Ukraine Masha Yovanovitch, who was abruptly removed as Ambassador in May after a sustained campaign against her by the President’s agent, Rudy Giuliani.

“The documents provided by the Inspector General included a package of disinformation, debunked conspiracy theories, and baseless allegations in an envelope marked ‘White House’ and containing folders labeled ‘Trump Hotel.’ These documents also reinforce concern that the President and his allies sought to use the machinery of the State Department to further the President’s personal political interests.

“The Inspector General stated that his office interviewed Secretary Pompeo’s Counselor, Thomas Ulrich Brechbuhl, who informed the Inspector General that Secretary Pompeo told him the packet ‘came over,’ and that Brechbuhl presumed it was from the White House.

“Earlier this week, Pompeo attempted to block Brechbuhl, Ambassador Yovanovitch, and other State Department employees from testifying before Congress.

“These documents only underscore the need for the Trump Administration to comply with our requests for documents and interviews.”

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

orange juche posted:

Yeah the State IG basically walked up to the hearing and presented the oppo binder and said "Can you believe how batshit these people are?"

Trump believes this poo poo. He's a loving moron and is genuine in his belief. He still sincerely does not think Obama was born in Hawaii.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Perry also did just set up his grift by positioning his wife to make a fuckton of money off of future DOE contracts. He’s cashing out, also.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That actually seems legal, just gross.

The quiet on Hong Kong was the quid for the pro of them investigating Biden if you look at the whole conversation.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Trump is trumping on Mitt Romney this morning calling him a loser, suck up, and an rear end.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Excuse me, i forgot the double hyphen. The president called Mitt Romney an “rear end.”

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

colachute posted:

I’m not reading his tweets but I would be willing to bet $5 that he capitalized rear end. Not because I’m certain but because there’s a legit 50/50 shot I’m right.

He is a pompous “rear end” who has been fighting me from the beginning,

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

In re: nobody cares I have spoken with very loud trumpers in north florida who all are in agreement that Trump hosed up and he needs to be impeached.

Multiple people have said “now I have a copy of the whistleblower report and the whitehouse readout, and they match verbatim. Trump hosed up and it’s unacceptable.”

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Crakkerjakk posted:

Yeah, I think the political and media class care (to the extent they think it's interesting and controversial and will drive attention from their peers), and are working themselves up over this. I'm not sure if that translates to your average republican voter caring, or republican senators thinking that voting for impeachment won't get them primaried.

There are 23 republican senators are up for election in 2020. All but three of them come from R+5 states. Most of them are giant names that could actually say what ever about trump and still win such as Mitch McConnell and Lindsay Graham.

Plenty of republican senators can vote to remove from office without primary concerns because no one will remember in 2-4 years because our electorate is made of goldfish.

The only way the senate gets flipped to a democratic supermajority is if a bunch of deep red states somehow flip blue, which isn't going to happen. A blue wave will probably result in a 53-47 senate makeup.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

McConnell doesn't exactly have the power to stop an impeachment trial. He isn't in charge of it. John Roberts is.

Remember that the senate majority leader only has power because of senate rules. Mitch is not in a position to have anything to do with an impeachment trial except that he controls a majority of the jurors.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

bird food bathtub posted:

Obviously the president gets to appoint a supreme court nominee. It says so right in the constitution. How can noted Republican Mitch McConnel possibly gently caress with something so obvious?

That's a completely different process. The president gets to nominate, and then with advice and consent of the senate, gets to appoint. On the other hand, the senate is effectively the jury in an impeachment trial. The issue is that 2/3 majority is necessary to convict and remove from office.

Once we have a dozen or so R senators saying "remove from office" things will matter.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

bird cooch posted:

Yeah dude but statistically nobody loving lives in the middle. A lot of these states have rounding errors for population.

This is true. The vast majority of the "heartland" of America is empty space.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Democratic policies do by in large help the rural communities. Republican policies have absolutely decimated them, and continue to do so under Trump.

People in these areas aren't voting republican because of their policies and they weren't voting against Clinton because she didn't pander to them enough.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Except the Democrats havent done poo poo for the poor lately which is the entire reason we're here.

Almost all of the poor loving has been done by republicans in control at the state level of those states. Medicaid, TANF, and other programs to support the poor are run entirely at the state level. Democrats have not had the ability to do anything to help them at all because they aren't elected in those areas.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The last time the country decided to trust the Democratic party they gave them a generational majority which was promptly wasted on protecting the banks and passing a 1990s GOP healthcare plan so maybe people are well justified in not buying into the lesser of two evils bullshit any longer

The democratic party never had a real majority. The only reason they had a majority was because of people who are all republicans today.

The PPACA had its flaws, but in its original form much of the issues that exist today would not because there was a public option, mandatory medicaid expansion, and funding to pay for everything. It has been specifically crippled by opponents to make it horrible, and even still the ACA has saved lives.

The non-prosecution of wall street is bullshit, I agree, but 2008-2010 was not a real majority. The democratic party didn't have 60 votes in the senate, and if you took out the bluedogs they didn't even have a working majority.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I typed up a reply that was eaten by my lovely internet (it's comcastic) but the 75 page decision by the judge makes it really easy for the appellate court to affirm. He broke down every argument by the president and the alternatives even though his actual ruling is about 1/4 of the document.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rudy is getting a public platform to spout conspiracy theories at a senate judiciary hearing because Lindsay Graham is concerned about Biden’s corruption.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I don’t get how rentboy is a slur. I mean it could be used as an insult, but it isn’t generally a slur.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Saw in a c-spam tweet that one of Pompeo's advisors just resigned.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

DB is extremely crooked and launders a fuckton of money.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LingcodKilla posted:

Well considering Fox News is an entertainment show he could just go to any news show.

Not all of Fox News is entertainment. Shep's department was the actual news, and they put out good stuff.

Now they have no news.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I’ve used purify on my iphone for years

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Because the Kurds are not evacuating fast enough, they will start shooting again in about 12 hours.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The white house and doj are apparently both pissed at ol' Mick because he spilled all the beans. There was no prep before the presser with the legal team. I think the chief of staff might get the axe soon.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Defenestrategy posted:

lol...

"I'M USUALLY A DEATH CULTIST BUT THIS TIME HES GONE TOO FAR" ~ Some four star

edit:Did Mulvaney post mycrimes.txt all over the news? Is that what I'm hearing?

He came right out and admitted everything. When a reporter pointed out to him that his statement was specifically a quid quo pro, he confirmed it was and told the press to "get over it."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Everyone is pissed at Mulvaney except Trump himself, who was very pleased with his performance. Also Sondland completely painted Rudy as the guilty party today in congressional hearings. They asked him questions based on poo poo Mulvaney was saying live.

Trump, in public statements, said he's solved a major peace peace problem that's been going on many, five, 10, and 15 years and flat out used the word cleansing when referring to the removal of the kurds.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Turks have been bombing kurds with white phosphorous.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The biggest chud I know that routinely cheers anything and everything out of his administration stopped me to say that Trump’s treatment of the kurds is the only thing he’s disagreed with and it is a complete disgrace.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tulsi was also on the short list to be VP for jill stein and she’s in with putin’s people also.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I think Adam Neumann has to be one of the most successful conmen of all loving time. $1.7bn just to go away.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

He was so toxic to the value of the company that it paying him minecraft money just to go away was less costly than letting him stay and continue to drive the company into the dirt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Erdogan is announcing a massive operation to drive out terrorists over the next 5 days with russian support for 20km across the entire border.