Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Twee or Jank?
This poll is closed.
Twee 9 4.81%
Jank 26 13.90%
Goose 71 37.97%
Bowsette 81 43.32%
Total: 187 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Thread off to a great start

(gently caress TERFs)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Why are we discussing TERFS and transphobes in the Game Chat thread?

Both those kinds of people are awful and banned from chatting with us about the fun games that are out and about. If either of those adjectives describes you, then please do not share your views on transwomen here in the thread.

(Reader Beware! Bloody TERFS are over there!)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

here lies the final update of apptember (perhaps the first update of app..tober?? ehhh)

grindstone: here's Dungeon Raid in 2019. capy games, of Below and Super Time Force Ultra and M&M: Clash of Heroes fame, has basically made Dungeon Raid 2. each level surrounds you with a ton of differently-colored enemies, as well as crates and boulders (occupied space). you carve a path through enemies of the same color, and the object is to make a huge chain path, which will create grindstones on the map. these grindstones are used both to refill your health at the inn, as well as craft blueprints for items and armor (along with crafting materials gotten from crates and certain major enemies). some enemies on the map will charge up to attack you, so you need to make sure you either carve through them or don't end your path in their attack zone. once you've cleared enough enemies, the door to the next level will open, but you can continue to chain around and get more grindstones, collect a key to open a treasure chest, chase down a 'slob' enemy to get their crown. But the longer you stay on the map, more and more enemies will start to charge to attack, making the map very dangerous to stick around on. That's the general formula; if you liked Dungeon Raid, you'll like Grindstone.

card of darkness: a card roguelite game by zack gage and pendleton ward (adventure time). you need to create a path to the stairs/exit of a dungeon by removing cards from decks on the map. the general hook is, any deck that you take a card from.. you cannot leave the map until the entire deck has been revealed and taken. some cards are enemy cards that deal damage, some cards are potions that heal, some cards are treasure cards, and some cards are weapons (weapon damage negates the damage level of the enemy card). the weapon will shatter if it doesn't match the even/odd-ness of the enemy card you pick up next; otherwise it'll stay in your hand. you do not have the take all the cards from a deck at once, and that's where the strategy in the game lies. granted, luck plays a big factor as well. but you'll have to be very careful about which cards you'll draw in which order, because you never know what will be the next card underneath. And the worst thing is to have the path to the exit cleared, but you still have to finish a few decks, and all of them end up being enemy cards that knock out all your HP. you use the treasure currency to buy one-use items OR upgrade how many 'card of darkness' slots you have. these cards are gained after every dungeon, and grant passive perks. definitely a lot of deceptive depth to this one.

VideoGames posted:

Why are we discussing TERFS and transphobes in the Game Chat thread?
the discussion was in reference to a Steam RPG that was previously considered "inclusive"/queer-friendly called heartbeat, which turned out to be by a raging transphobe who has since gone buckwild with the transphobia. so it's useful info to share

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Cuntellectual posted:

I think encouraging people without the financial means to transition in a way they find satisfactory is irresponsible

The answer is for the state to pay for transition hth

e: Sorry VG! So how about them video games, huh?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Cuntellectual posted:

I can understand being made uncomfortable or disagreeing with modern pro trans discourse, but what a hill to die on.

Cuntellectual posted:

I think encouraging people without the financial means to transition in a way they find satisfactory is irresponsible, as is the downplaying of the risks involved in things like SRS and breast implants, as a start.

jesus didn't you said some bullshit like this in the rpg thread too relatively recently?

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Cuntellectual posted:

I can understand being made uncomfortable or disagreeing with modern pro trans discourse, but what a hill to die on.

gently caress off nerd

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Rarity posted:

The answer is for the state to pay for transition hth

e: Sorry VG! So how about them video games, huh?

That would probably be the best answer, yeah.

SunAndSpring posted:

gently caress off nerd

You know, it's not even like I particularly disagree with you. I don't see why people feel the need to pick fights with people just because they only have like 70% the same opinion.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 1, 2019

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

The 7th Guest posted:

the discussion was in reference to a Steam RPG that was previously considered "inclusive"/queer-friendly called heartbeat, which turned out to be by a raging transphobe who has since gone buckwild with the transphobia. so it's useful info to share

This is absolutely fine. People should be aware of the games creators that lie about things like that.

I meant the other stuff - where people might be tempted to share opinions on how they feel about human beings and whether or not they should have rights.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also in terms of aesthetic difference, grindstone is kind of like thundercats roar (that teaser image that elicited the "CALARTS-STYLE" rage from the internet):

https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/1174515700918095877

whereas card of darkness is basically pen's style so slightly cruder than adventure time:

when you die in card of darkness you fall over and the screen irises out on your rear end

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Bringing back a tidbit we were talking about in the previous thread, the barebones Ps+ version of Destiny 2 I'm downloading is 88GB plus 30 GB of patches. Later today all the Year 1 content will be added as F2P. That does not include Forsaken, Shadowkeep or the future expansion. I expect people with the full package to easily break the 200GB threshold.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Another month has come and gone and I’m still making my way through the ff14 story

It’s good! I’m still on stormblood!

Me too! I just got to Bloodstorme! :toot:

Cuntellectual posted:

That would probably be the best answer, yeah.

You know, it's not even like I particularly disagree with you. I don't see why people feel the need to pick fights with people just because they only have like 70% the same opinion.

Human rights are not an opinion. gently caress off.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Samuringa posted:

Human rights are not an opinion. gently caress off.

Sincere question: Did you actually read what I said, or are you just responding to what you think I said? Because what I did say I support, say, the government covering horomones, SRS, etc. However, we don't live in a world where that happens everywhere, at least not yet. Maybe some day.

In the mean time, it's irresponsible to not encourage a frank discussion of the financial cost involved. Doctor's bills alone are highly expensive, but even for people who aren't currently pursuing that should be mindful of things like the fees involved with birth certificate applications. They're not as high, sure, but they can make a difference for people.

Beyond that, I very rarely see discussion on things like the risks involved with breast implants, or for hormone suppressants.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Cuntellectual posted:

Sincere question: Did you actually read what I said, or are you just responding to what you think I said? Because what I did say I support, say, the government covering horomones, SRS, etc. However, we don't live in a world where that happens everywhere, at least not yet. Maybe some day.

In the mean time, it's irresponsible to not encourage a frank discussion of the financial cost involved. Doctor's bills alone are highly expensive, but even for people who aren't currently pursuing that should be mindful of things like the fees involved with birth certificate applications. They're not as high, sure, but they can make a difference for people.

Beyond that, I very rarely see discussion on things like the risks involved with breast implants, or for hormone suppressants.

Excuse me. I think I did ask that we do not try to have this discussion in the Games Chat thread - this is not the appropriate place. The awful state of the medical industry is not a topic for here. Why would you think that we want to discuss any perceived negatives of transitioning here in the Games Chat thread.

This is not a game. Trans rights/Human rights are not a game.

Do not make another post about this.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

rabbit rabbit

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHTNFQf911c

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It's not coming out for awhile, but OTHER looks kind of neat and so far I don't think the devs are pricks.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1161780/OTHER_Her_Loving_Embrace/

It's not due out for awhile, but if you're interested, wishlisting games on steams helps the devs out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

VideoGames posted:

I meant the other stuff - where people might be tempted to share opinions on how they feel about human beings and whether or not they should have rights.
just say 'dont be a transphobic shithead' dude lol

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

The Honkman Instrumentality Project

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Endorph posted:

just say 'dont be a transphobic shithead' dude lol

I have?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If you haven't seen them before Blizzard combined all the Battle for Azeroth cinematics into one 24min video.

It's basically a master class in CGI, world building, and macro level story telling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDzPkTEMBgc

It skips a ton of ingame cinematics and questlines, so you may be missing some contextual stuff if you're not playing, but you're honestly better off not knowing as it's pretty schlocky (In a bad way)
Blizzard have always been really really good with using broad strokes with their story lines, and failing hilariously at the more subtle nuanced plot hooks.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Like they should legit just hire more people and start making Blizzard themed movies with their inhouse teams, they're so loving good at CGI.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Infinitum posted:

Like they should legit just hire more people and start making Blizzard themed movies with their inhouse teams, they're so loving good at CGI.

Blizzard have been at the forefront of CGI for over 15 years now. I remember being blown away by the movies in WC3 which were so expressive. Even at the times I've been least interested in WoW I've always checked in on their new cinematics cause they are damned amazing.

Also give me my movie sequel you loving cowards

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The Warcraft movie being live action is still kind of baffling. I guess they didn't have the time and manpower?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
Call me Ken-Sama because being a Samurai is cool as gently caress. Can't wait to stand in line for 15 minutes for a normal dungeon.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Booty Plsssssss

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Just a few more hours before finishing Link's Awakening. I've been having the best time with it and I really hope they end up doing the Oracle games as well since they already have most of the assets.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I think it has to do with that horny AI adventure game.

Did you really just confuse Code Vein and AI: The Somnium Files?

This is where the phrase came from:

https://twitter.com/MammonMachine/status/1176909382509977600

Somnium is not particularly horny in its character designs.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

homeless snail posted:

this one is a weird sidescroller, not exactly the DKC to the first one's DK69, but it does have some minecart levels

I tried to get into DK69 but there were just too many bananas

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nice

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Samuringa posted:

Bringing back a tidbit we were talking about in the previous thread, the barebones Ps+ version of Destiny 2 I'm downloading is 88GB plus 30 GB of patches. Later today all the Year 1 content will be added as F2P. That does not include Forsaken, Shadowkeep or the future expansion. I expect people with the full package to easily break the 200GB threshold.

I think the 88GB (plus whatever the patch adds) is the whole package, modern games just download everything even if you don't own the dlc.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Book chat: I know there's a book barn subforum but I'll ask here first: what are some good horror anthologies? I recently finished Stephen King's Night Shift and I have Skeleton Crew on hold at my library, but I'm looking for more to add to my reading list. I really like short form fiction although I haven't read as much of it as I would have liked, so if you have a favorite collection please share it! Right now I'm reading a collection that my college friend had published; she wrote them when she was in school and I've had the book for years but I never read it, probably because I was jealous of her talent (a real Motzart/Salieri situation), but it's good so far. I'll make a proper plug for it once I finish, but until then please give me your recs.

Game chat: The texture "pop" in Surge 2 is nuts. I'm playing on an og PS4 and like Jim Sterling I'm getting a thing where textures kind of pop in and out willy-nilly. It's not so bad that my character is just covered in geometric shapes, but there is a definite issue where detail will be absent for a few seconds before loading in, if it loads in at all. Environments seem to struggle with the amount of detail and it gets tripped up on what to load and when. Now, this is fairly noticeable but like Sterling said it doesn't really detract from the game. It's just disappointing.

Another sort of baffling thing from the game is, uh, all the dialogue. There are characters who seem like they were added just to give the MC someone to talk to, but they feel like such an afterthought that talking to them makes me feel a little crazy. Their writing is really bad, too, with bundles of exposition and little subtlety, and it often feels like they have larger stories that have been cut out so communicating with them feels like you're either getting 150% of their story or 50%. Fortunately the talking does not matter and it does a serviceable job of pushing things forward. There's one person who basically gives you the go-ahead to murder her employees because working together would break the game engine or something. Very video gamey.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

This thread almost convinced me to reinstall WoW, but I was able to resist when I remembered that I enjoy the exploration but don't like the combat.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

it's not quite what you're after op but if you're interested in a cyberpunk dystopia look into "Ready Player One"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Roach Warehouse posted:

This thread almost convinced me to reinstall WoW, but I was able to resist when I remembered that I enjoy the exploration but don't like the combat.

Play a rogue and stealth around everything so you don't have to fight :)

I'm really enjoying getting close to the end-game content now. Since around the time I hit level 50 almost everything I've done has felt focused around just a few main plot thrusts so the story is kinda pulling together in a more satisfying way. I'm also learning the BiS gear grind which is all quite exciting :D

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

I'm almost up to Shiva in FF14 and the post 2.0 stuff has been pretty good.

Ramuh and Snowcloak had some pretty awesome, chill music.

Also it turned out I was still paying a WoW subscription that'd I forgotten to cancel despite having it uninstalled for months.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

my buddy Superfly posted:

Other than Destiny 2 I'm really looking forward to Crossniq+ coming out this week! I love a good arcade puzzle game and the look of it is great.

https://twitter.com/crossniq/status/1178725756387639299

Also I'll have you know that Devil May Cry 2 is already out on Switch, I should know I played a lot of it.

More games should ape the Dreamcast aesthetic this looks cool

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

LawfulWaffle posted:

Book chat: I know there's a book barn subforum but I'll ask here first: what are some good horror anthologies? I recently finished Stephen King's Night Shift and I have Skeleton Crew on hold at my library, but I'm looking for more to add to my reading list. I really like short form fiction although I haven't read as much of it as I would have liked, so if you have a favorite collection please share it! Right now I'm reading a collection that my college friend had published; she wrote them when she was in school and I've had the book for years but I never read it, probably because I was jealous of her talent (a real Motzart/Salieri situation), but it's good so far. I'll make a proper plug for it once I finish, but until then please give me your recs.

north american lake monsters and wounds, both from nathan balingrud

scorch atlas by blake butler

we live inside you by jeremy robert johnson

songs for the unraveling of the world by brian evenson

teatro grottesco by thomas ligotti

growing things by paul tremblay

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 1, 2019

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

PrinnySquadron posted:

I'm almost up to Shiva in FF14 and the post 2.0 stuff has been pretty good.

Ramuh and Snowcloak had some pretty awesome, chill music.

Also it turned out I was still paying a WoW subscription that'd I forgotten to cancel despite having it uninstalled for months.

You're in for a treat. Everything coming up is a masterpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

I think the 88GB (plus whatever the patch adds) is the whole package, modern games just download everything even if you don't own the dlc.

The DLC isn't even out. Its going to get much larger.