Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

Hellraiser, obviously

Hey man, good to see you around, can’t remember seeing you post lately, although that could just be me.

stevobob posted:

I don't habitually air personal stuff to the internet, but probably the worst possible thing imaginable happened to me in September, so I don't see how October could possibly be worse. Build yourselves a support system, you'll need it at some point and it might just keep you above water and sane.

I hope that October will treat you a little better. :)

Speaking of airing personal stuff, suffice to say that breaking down crying ten seconds into a one-on-one with your manager is probably not a sign of sustainable stress levels. Taking tomorrow off to decompress a bit.

Take care of yourselves, goons. You might all be manly men, but trust me, you’re next to useless after exploring your breaking point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

meltie posted:

(ditto - maybe it's something inherent to the line of work we both do?)

Oh, you're also in the rapidly-changing-requirements-with-little-information-all-the-responsibility-with-none-of-the-mandate business? Always nice to meet a colleague.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Have i told you about my new tire guy? Let me tell you about my new tire guy.

I had a screw in one of my winter wheels, which was no biggie, as it was summer, but suddenly I got a screw in my old man's car (which I had borrowed and was mission critical, as it has a tow hook).

I had briefly seen a sign not too far from our new house, so I looked up the guy, gave him a call. He told me to bring both wheels over right away. After navigating a narrow driveway to the back-back alley, I was greeted with this:

Guy came out, quickly assessed the situation, and had two tires patched (properly, from the inside) in less than fifteen minutes. Got a real, proper invoice etc.which was very reasonable.

I recently went back to have tires put on wheels, told him it was in no way a rush job, and he was still done in three hours even though he had other stuff going on.

Really hope he sticks around as it's less than half a mile from my house.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Is there some decent free/cheap software for editing and combining multiple MP4 vids into one?

If you’re not afraid of a Unix command prompt (and with that newfangled Linux subsystem for windows, no one really should be), there’s a way to do this that’s, like, 23 keystrokes, including installing the package.

Edit: oh poo poo didn’t see the editing part.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

T-Square posted:

Fuckin' lol.

Corporate ran and approved a background check for a new employee of ours and after her one and sole shift, she e-mailed my boss that she would need to resign, due to being handed cash that night which apparently violates her probation parameters.

She's currently serving probation. After serving a felony prison sentence. For stealing over half a million dollars. And corporate did not see this.

My boss is PISSED.

I mean, stealing is bad mkay and all that, but I can’t help but respect that amount in a go big or go home kinda way.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

meltie posted:

Ooooooft. Yeah, be really careful, burnout is on your immediate horizon.

(ditto - maybe it's something inherent to the line of work we both do?)

KozmoNaut posted:

After seeing a number of colleagues get ground down by stress, seeing my girlfriend almost break down over her PhD and working conditions, and flirting with a stress breakdown myself, you need a break.

Not just a day. You need to take a several week sick leave, and reduced responsibility/tasks when you come back. Trust me on this.

A stress breakdown fucks up your brain for a long time. No job is worth that.

Aaaaaand we got two winners. Laid up for three weeks then a slow start again at work.

And apparently it’s happy hour: my brother got the exact same deal the exact same day.

To reiterate: if you don’t say stop your body will say stop for you, and it’s neither pleasant nor efficient. Take care of yourselves goons. :hug:

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Put the ghetto winter wheels without TPMS on the Mazda, and nary a squeek from the thing. Granted, I've only done a few short trips since then, but still...

I miss my giant Bahco jack. It's sitting at a friend's while I'm garageless, so I elected to buy the cheapest little red jack I could find, and, oh my, I'm glad I still have all my fingers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Galler posted:

I can usually get about halfway through winter before my Fit realizes it doesn't have TPMS sensors anymore. I think it takes about 20 miles without being shut off before it notices which doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. It figures out the sensors are back within like half a mile once the summer wheels are back on so :shrug:

I spoke too soon, it came on on my commute. No ill effects so far though.

Ferremit posted:

And my dad put an 800mm auger through a pair of 11KV lines that weren't where they were meant to be at a shopping centre when he was younger. He was fine because he was sitting on the machine, but the arc jumping out of the drill mast fused the gearbox and burnt a hole in a sign when it jumped back to earth.

Did he get to keep the sign as a souvenir?