Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hey, why don't you make a shakshuka this month. It's relatively easy, it's very forgiving of fuckups and it's delicious and the recipe is flexible.

WTF IS SHAKSHUKA
Shakshuka is basically tomato stew with an egg. It's North African in origin, but eaten all around the Mediterranean so there are tons of regional variations on it. Most have onions, some don't. Some have bell peppers, some don't. Some have harissa, some don't. Some top it with raw eggs that become poached, some have scramble. Some have beans! Some have mushrooms! Some just drop an egg on a puttanesca sauce

SHAKSHUKA CAN BE CHEAP!
Costco has 6.6 pound cans of crushed tomatoes for $3.50 and can make 3 batches
Onions are 50 cents a pound.
Bell peppers are $1-1.50 each.
Spices are cheap if you buy them in $1 plastic envelopes from the ethnic section of your grocery.
Eggs are like 20 cents each
Roughly $9 to make a batch, which can feed 4-6

HERE ARE SOME RECIPES
Feel free to mix and match ideas like I did! I used Alton Brown's recipe as a base but added onions and used whole canned tomatoes like Kenji. It's almost as spicy as an Angry Whopper, which means it's easy to serve to mixed company that includes spice wimps

Alton Brown's new Good Eats The Return has an episode on shakshuka, but since they don't allow it on youtube here's his web recipe. It's the most work out of all of them but once you've made the harissa and preserved lemons the second or third time you make them it will be way faster:
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/shakshuka-7424000

Kenji's shakshuka:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3nKYqGwDZA

Bon Appetit's baked eggs in tomato:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-q2dCtRlz0

New York Times:
https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1014721-shakshuka-with-feta

Puttanesca shakshuka:
https://whatjewwannaeat.com/shakshuka-puttanesca/

Food Wishes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifWWRZSWS18

MY RECIPE
Made harissa and preserved lemons from Alton's recipe (harissa added a lot of complexity, didn't notice if lemons made a difference). Blowtorched bell peppers kinda sorta like Alton's recipe (probably gonna just char in pan next time, I think Alton doesn't like skins or texture in general). Charred some onion crescents in the pan like Kenji's recipe (Alton doens't have onions in his). Used whole canned tomato and crushed like Kenji (canned is probably more flavorful than any grocery tomato). Put the eggs in a large measuring cup like Bon Appetit's Carla. Made divots and dumped in the eggs like most recipes.

OH gently caress I BURNED THE ONIONS/TOMATO/BELLPEPPERS
No you didn't, that just adds to the cooked/stewed flavor. It's very forgiving! I charred my onions on purpose, and when the tomato at the bottom of the pan got scorched i just scraped it and mixed it into the rest of the stew. It was great!

THE ONE THING I hosed UP: I let it cook with my raw eggs too long and they turned out hard boiled. You should probably get it to almost boiling, drop in your raw eggs and turn off the heat and put on a lid. The carry over heat from that point should be enough to get your eggs poached thoroughly in about five minutes (kind of like Korean places where you crack a raw egg into a soon tofu)

Anyways ask questions here, post your shakshuka photos here and share what recipes and alterations you made!

THE DIE PART
If you post in here you must make a shakshuka. :siren: If you don't make a shakshuka by Halloween I will report you for probation :siren:

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

It looks like Steve forgot to post the "or die" part of Cook or Die but I am here to say I am making shakshuka tonight and will be back with proof.

Aery
Nov 15, 2005

Where is my motherfucking HAT
Fine, I'll do your dumb thing

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Onion, garlic, canned tomato, serrano, nduja, feta, harissa, smoked paprika, cayenne, dill, cilantro, fish sauce, egg.

Proof of egg:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Steve Yun posted:

THE DIE PART
If you post in here you must make a shakshuka. :siren: If you don't make a shakshuka by Halloween I will report you for probation :siren:

Mod note: You will be probated. It will be shameful. I have a collection of terrible Guy Fieri gifs for just this occasion.

Also, I guess I know what I'm making this weekend!

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

I will make a shakshuka. Perhaps I will photograph if.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, shakshuka is traditionally a vegetarian dish but feel free to add in some crumbly sausage or an nduja log like DNF did

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

gently caress yeah I'm in

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Yessss

Aery
Nov 15, 2005

Where is my motherfucking HAT

Aery posted:

Fine, I'll do your dumb thing

Chorizo, onion, yellow bell pepper, a few random hot peppers from the garden, homemade tomato sauce, Harissa, cumin, cayenne, smoked paprika, goat cheese, oil cured olives, egg

Aery fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 3, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Fixing Aery’s link because imgur is making it annoying to get the jpg link instead of the page link now

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Made a pizza with some of the leftovers.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Nobody steal my food truck idea: Shake Shak

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 5, 2019

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Steve Yun posted:

Nobody steal my food truck idea: Shake Shak

I'll just launch a competing food truck called Shake Shuk.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
New concept: Shakoyaki

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

That looks good.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:siren: ingredients purchased for a ~nontraditional shuka~ :siren:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I made harissa today. It's too drat late to make the rest, but it's on for tomorrow.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Red with herb garnish? Nah, green with aji dulce garnish!

I did sheet pan because I needed to run errands. An hour at 400°F, a trip through the blender, and an over easy egg. Polar opposite of traditional but jammy and tart and yolky and smoky and good.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

So like, salsa verde with an egg?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sure

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Cool. Are those weird bun looking things on the left tomatillos?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Nah, forgot the "before" photo - they're purple bell peppers from a local dude

codebot
Nov 10, 2008

I haven't made shakshuka in a really long time - and the last time I attempted it, I seem to recall being underwhelmed.

I'd like to think my culinary prowess has grown in the last few years, though, so I'm in. I'm gonna bake a loaf of sourdough to go with it today (shoutout to my bread nerds), then attempt the shakshuka for brunch tomorrow.

browsers castle
Dec 27, 2011
I’ve had this recipe in my rotation for years. Quick to make and easy to keep most ingredients on hand. I made it last week, but will have to give Alton’s recipe a try.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

I did the thing. It wasn't pretty. Tasted good tho.

codebot
Nov 10, 2008

I am shakshook by how delicious my shakshuka turned out. Definitely better than the last time I attempted it.

I used a large brown onion, sliced (not diced) red bell pepper, za'atar seasoning, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and garlic powder. I used a 28oz can of crushed tomatoes. I forgot to buy feta cheese (whoops), so I melted some parmesan on top after I finished cooking. I also had a few small tomatoes from the garden that I halved and threw in there for good measure.

I also baked a loaf of whole-wheat sourdough yesterday, and toasted that in a pan with some butter until it was nice and crispy.

Here's the za'atar seasoning and crushed tomatoes I used, plus the loaf of bread:

I loosely followed the NYTimes recipe -- sauteed the veggies on medium-low in a skillet for about 20 minutes, added the tomatoes and cooked for probably another 15 minutes, then cracked in some eggs and stuck the whole thing in a 375 F oven. The plan was to keep it in there for 10 minutes, until the eggs were just set... however, after 10 minutes the eggs were still pretty raw. Not sure if my oven temps are off, or what, but I ended up keeping the skillet in there for probably another 10 whole minutes before pulling it (checking every minute or so). I wanted soft eggs, but not liquid eggs.

Anyway, I pulled the skillet out, cracked some more pepper on there, tossed on a little bit of parmesan cheese, and covered it for about a minute before plating with that bread I was talking about earlier.

And, plated:

Honestly, I was super happy with it (although it's not necessarily the prettiest dish I've ever cooked). I'm definitely putting this in my regular rotation.

codebot fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 7, 2019

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
FINE okay I'll toxx myself

I'm gonna make so many variations this month my house might as well be called the Shuk Shak

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
You mean you shoxxed yourself

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

as long as you don't shuck yourself

cyka blyat
Sep 12, 2018

1999. What appeared to be a harmless meteorite crashing in the Nevada desert has turned out to be Darc Seed, an evil alien creature with horrible powers. By shooting strange magnetic rays, Darc Seed had turned the helpless nation into zombies and had brought the Statue of Liberty to life to do his dirty work. These rays had also given him control over many deadly weapons, but none were more powerful than the legendary samurai sword, Shura. When the great head of the samurai, Namakubi, heard that the sword had fallen into evil hands, he set off immediately for the United States. For only he possessed the strength and knowledge needed to recapture the magical sword and free the U.S. from the evil clutches of Darc Seed.

Aw funally, one of my favorites. Here's my recipe.

1 can of 28 oz pomodoro tomatoes
2 onions
2 red bell peppers
Hot pepper
3 cloves garlic
Spices:
1 tbsp caraway seeds
1 tbsp berbere or paprika
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp turmeric, fenugreek
Fresh cilantro and a large amount of parsley
6 eggs
Fair amount of
Good olive oil

Slice up the bell peppers and onions. Throw in a sizzling cast iron. Let it cool away for 20 minutes. It will be a little burnt, as it should be.
Put in the spice mixture and fry it up with the veggies for about a minute
Dice the pepper and the garlic. Lower the heat to medium low and throw those babies in with a splash of olive oil. Give it 30 secs
Empty an entire can of good pomodoro tomatoes in and mix it up. Turn up to a healthy simmer and give it 15.minutes.
Chop up all those aromatics and cube the feta. Mix it into the pan. Crack the eggs on top and drizzle with olive oil. Cover with a heavy lif and give another 10 minutes.
Finally place under a broiler until the top is crispy. When its done grab some good bread and tuck in.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
One of my favourite dishes! I use bell pepper, onion and garlic, and my spice blend is hot pimenton, crushed chilis, cumin, oregano, salt and pepper.

Mine does not turn out super-beautiful, as you will see when I post pictures, but it's always delicious.

Using berbere sounds delicious, I think I'm going to try that next time around.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Caraway, paprika, and dill with plenty of black pepper ground over top

Thai green curry paste and a touch of cracked coconut cream; add sauteed eggplant and tofu

Kimchi, grated apple, and gochujang with scallion garnish

Peanut butter, soy sauce, fish sauce, coconut milk, palm sugar

Cayenne, granulated garlic, onion powder, black pepper, white pepper

Garlic, ginger, star anise, sichuan peppercorn with super finely diced tofu (add peas if you want to make people mad)

Cinnamon, cumin, coriander, clove, nutmeg, black pepper, aleppo pepper

Make it without spices or alliums, add a tarka of hing, mustard seed, coriander, and cumin

feel free to take any of these ideas and run with them but I'm gonna make at least a few of them

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

It tastes much better than it looks:

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

RoastBeef posted:

It tastes much better than it looks:

I'm impressed then because it looks good as gently caress.

I've always wanted to make a shakshuka but never got around to it so I might as well post here.

E: gently caress it. Upgrade my cook or die probe to a :toxx: will ya Liquid? :getin:

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 9, 2019

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I shakshuked. There's an NYT recipe with feta that I started from. It was ok, the guac really helped. The sourdough I have in my freezer would have been better than the pretzel rolls, but the sourdough is already frozen and the pretzel rolls are not.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
First time shakshukaing. Will not be my last.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Resting Lich Face posted:

I'm impressed then because it looks good as gently caress.

I've always wanted to make a shakshuka but never got around to it so I might as well post here.

E: gently caress it. Upgrade my cook or die probe to a :toxx: will ya Liquid? :getin:

Heard and witnessed.

I'm cooking right now.

Edit:

Used Alton's recipe for the most part, but didn't have time to make the lemons so I settled for rehydrating a couple tbsp of lemon peel in lemon juice and using that. Added some feta because it sounded good.

All in all, tasty!

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 13, 2019

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Got my emergency shak set aside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012
How do you eat it? With bread on the side? So it's basically the texture of a stew w eggs on top?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)