Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

Tim Raines IRL posted:

one the one hand, sure, sounds like a poo poo study.

on the other hand, there are hundreds if not thousands of different vaping devices on the market, most of them are being manufactured in china, most of them are extremely inexpensive, and I'd be frankly shocked if some of them didn't expose you to heavy metals as a result of routine use.

the stuff you're citing might look like junk science, but it's a hell of a lot more rigorous and thoughtful than anything the manufacturers of this bullshit are doing. I use a Yocan when I'm on the go because I am too old/reasonable to carry an acetylene rig around and use it in a moving car like some people I know, and I sort of figure the plant material I'm not burning as a result of vaping my own cannabis oil, makes up for some amount of bullshit I might be getting from the device, but I wonder about it.

To be honest, I wish I knew more about cannabis vaping. I have a friend who had what I could only describe as a wood pipe that heated pure weed but didn't burn it. I always thought that was so cool and seemed like a fairly safe option considering it didn't produce smoke. Then he switched to the vape style weed and I have no clue how what the chemicals are or how they work. I only know it's different from nicotine vaping.

FYI, I have an allergy to weed, like put me in the hospital level allergic reaction to it. Sometimes my friend forgets and tries to pass to me, like good high friends do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Tim Raines IRL posted:

one the one hand, sure, sounds like a poo poo study.

on the other hand, there are hundreds if not thousands of different vaping devices on the market, most of them are being manufactured in china, most of them are extremely inexpensive, and I'd be frankly shocked if some of them didn't expose you to heavy metals as a result of routine use.

the stuff you're citing might look like junk science, but it's a hell of a lot more rigorous and thoughtful than anything the manufacturers of this bullshit are doing.

If the study used them in a way that was similar to real world use I wouldn't take issue with it. The problem is they don't and then study is cited in some news report about how everyone is breathing in lead all day or whatever. I think it's important to test the upper limits of what the devices can take and treat it as a stress test though. They're talking about breakdowns at over 1100f though and I have my device set between 450-480-ish.

That being said I'm an outlier in that I think all devices should be temp regulated and use materials that prevent coils from heating up to the point of combustion in cotton.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

I haven't read it yet but figured I would share this:

https://slate.com/technology/2019/10/vaping-illness-causes-exhaustive-list.html

Slate put together a list of possible things causing the vaping illness.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

inkblottime posted:

To be honest, I wish I knew more about cannabis vaping. I have a friend who had what I could only describe as a wood pipe that heated pure weed but didn't burn it. I always thought that was so cool and seemed like a fairly safe option considering it didn't produce smoke.

This sounds like the Vapor Genie, fyi.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

inkblottime posted:

I haven't read it yet but figured I would share this:

https://slate.com/technology/2019/10/vaping-illness-causes-exhaustive-list.html

Slate put together a list of possible things causing the vaping illness.

This is in line with what everyone except the CDC has been saying for weeks now. They're still dragging their feet on getting accurate information out. It's loving bizarre.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Whatever happened to snus as a form of tobacco harm reduction? I feel that was strongly promoted a while back, and then a bunch of people freaked out about it, and then we stopped hearing about it altogether.

It's probably still a bit poo poo for you, but we know it doesn't cause lung disease at least.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

WrenP-Complete posted:

This sounds like the Vapor Genie, fyi.

It was more squared off and had a swivel trap door instead of an open hole. He'd put the pot in, drag on it, then knock it out once it was spent, yet it looked the same as when it went in. Smokeless pot pipe? Not sure what it would be called. I don't think it was very strong since he switched out to liquid vapor pot.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

PT6A posted:

Whatever happened to snus as a form of tobacco harm reduction? I feel that was strongly promoted a while back, and then a bunch of people freaked out about it, and then we stopped hearing about it altogether.

It's probably still a bit poo poo for you, but we know it doesn't cause lung disease at least.

FDA just approved snus as a modified risk product so that seems to be a thing making progress in the US. Still banned throughout most of Europe for no reason though.

In other news Juul might be getting hosed by the FTC in which case good.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/31/altria-confirms-ftc-probe-of-juul-as-agency-scrutinizes-executive-shakeup.html?__source=sharebar|twitter&par=sharebar

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

inkblottime posted:

It was more squared off and had a swivel trap door instead of an open hole. He'd put the pot in, drag on it, then knock it out once it was spent, yet it looked the same as when it went in. Smokeless pot pipe? Not sure what it would be called. I don't think it was very strong since he switched out to liquid vapor pot.

Could that be a Sticky Brick? They're supposed to be pretty good, but I'm not into butane powered vapes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

On Terra Firma posted:

FDA just approved snus as a modified risk product so that seems to be a thing making progress in the US. Still banned throughout most of Europe for no reason though.

In other news Juul might be getting hosed by the FTC in which case good.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/31/altria-confirms-ftc-probe-of-juul-as-agency-scrutinizes-executive-shakeup.html?__source=sharebar|twitter&par=sharebar

I checked at a local tobacco store (Canada), and apparently General is being discontinued here probably due to the new plain packaging laws and some sense of spite, but they have tobacco-free snus which is just plant fibre sprayed with nicotine and flavour, and it's both available and not taxed as tobacco, so that's pretty good. In terms of a reduced-risk option, that's probably as decent a method of nicotine delivery as you'll get.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

inkblottime posted:

That sounds like the Magic Flight Launch Box. Great device.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Bullfrog posted:

That sounds like the Magic Flight Launch Box. Great device.

Yeah, that was it! Quite ingenious. It's kind of shame it's not as popular as vaping liquid. It struck me as one of the safer ways to get high.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I absolutely agree. Vaping 'flower' is much safer than THC concentrates, especially right now.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

This probably explains the last 8-10% of people who swear up and down they were using nicotine only vaping devices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x87dR5UEmRA

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Looks like they're moving forward with the ban. Will be interesting to see if this has any effect on the teen numbers. This will probably be challenged in court and put on hold almost immediately though.

https://www.axios.com/trump-ban-fla...ampaign=organic

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

On Terra Firma posted:

This probably explains the last 8-10% of people who swear up and down they were using nicotine only vaping devices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x87dR5UEmRA

The CDC should be handing out free magic flight launch boxes to solve this crisis. Would help more than banning flavors.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

edit: doublepost.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Dry herb vaporization is the most lung friendly method. Pax makes a great producy witu very low temps compared to Joints. Like a 700 degree temperature difference. Most of a joint is wasted by the fire.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?

Bullfrog posted:

I absolutely agree. Vaping 'flower' is much safer than THC concentrates, especially right now.

This 100% depends on the source of your flower and the source and nature of your concentrates.

I wouldn't touch anything in a 510g cartridge right now.

I'd be pretty shocked if Washington, Colorado and California pure-concentrate slab products (shatter/rosin) are anything to worry about because of the extremely rigorous lab testing being conducted in those places, and the fundamentally simple nature of doing solvent-based extracts, vacuum purging them and then GC/MS. I'd be surprised if black market shatter has anything worse in it than potential unpurged petrochemical remnants that have always been a risk with black market BHO.

I exclusively use concentrate, but I grow my own weed using only organic materials, and then turn it into shatter using a medical freezer full of food-grade 200-proof ethanol and a food-grade closed loop system that governs out at 105F. Ergo, I trust my own concentrate a hell of a lot more than some random bag of flower someone might toss me.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Dry herb vaporization is the most lung friendly method. Pax makes a great producy witu very low temps compared to Joints. Like a 700 degree temperature difference. Most of a joint is wasted by the fire.

Anecdotally I disagree; vaping flower (regardless of device, volcano, MFLB, genie, whatever) always makes my throat kind of dry and parched, and I have to vape a lot more flower to get the desired effect, than if it is concentrated into shatter and vaped off quartz at ~550F and then double filtered. There can be some small irritation with that, too, but one banger rip is the equivalent of a full bag plus off the volcano, if your source material is 70% or whatever.

On Terra Firma posted:

If the study used them in a way that was similar to real world use I wouldn't take issue with it. The problem is they don't and then study is cited in some news report about how everyone is breathing in lead all day or whatever.

I don't disagree, but, I am just profoundly disinterested in using devices that have lead or heavy metals in them period. I realize this is, at least at present, a necessary evil for battery-powered on-the-go devices, but, if you stick to vaping pure cannabis oils off of glass you eliminate a whole hell of a lot of uncertainties. I do own a Yocan, it's convenient and I like it on the go, but there's mild anxiety about it.

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 4, 2019

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Well the thread is about nicotine vaping so it doesn't exactly apply.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Inasmuch as the present and future of nicotine vaping seems to depend largely on safety issues which appear mostly or entirely related to THC vaping, I don't think you can say discussion of THC vaping should be off-limits in this thread. That being said, maybe it should be kept to more generalities about THC vaping and less about "hey guys this is how I get high."

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

PT6A posted:

Inasmuch as the present and future of nicotine vaping seems to depend largely on safety issues which appear mostly or entirely related to THC vaping, I don't think you can say discussion of THC vaping should be off-limits in this thread. That being said, maybe it should be kept to more generalities about THC vaping and less about "hey guys this is how I get high."

Oh I'm not saying THC doesn't have a place here. With all the hosed up pods killing people I think it's absolutely relevant up to a point. Beyond that it kind of veers off into another topic entirely.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Flavors of e-Cigarettes Used by Youths in the United States

Published today in JAMA

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The discussion about flavour bans and the increase in vaping versus tobacco, etc., all seems to miss a fundamental truth: people like nicotine. Nicotine is pleasant when you're not addicted to it yet, and it's still decent when you are addicted to it even if a lot of that is due to being addicted to it. If they ban whatever the most popular flavour is, people will pick something else, because shockingly, the nicotine is the crucial bit. Not having flavours may discourage some people from starting, but probably not as many as anyone hopes.

They should make more modified-risk nicotine products that aren't just sold as a means to quit smoking, like these tobacco-free snus pouches you can find now. It's just flavouring and nicotine, no inhalation to gently caress with your lungs. Because, speaking as a nicotine user/addict, I don't really want to quit nicotine entirely, any more than I want to quit consuming caffeine. And it shouldn't be sold as a product only for adult smokers or as a smoking cessation tool. I mean, in a sense it's objectively pretty goddamn stupid to start using nicotine in any form, but people have made that stupid choice for generations and it doesn't seem like we're any closer to stopping them from doing it, so at least get them started using a least-harm product.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 6, 2019

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Published today by Reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/juul-ecigarette/

gently caress Juul.

Also, I could never do Snus. Having something in my mouth just fucks with me. Like I can't chew gum. Which is why I liked smoking. I quit for like 3 years before falling off the wagon because of stress. It calms me down. Now that I vape it's like a meditation ritual with drugs. I'm so chill when I vape but I get figity when I can't. And it's not just the addition since I'm also on anti-anxiety meds. My mind just doesn't shut up but a little puff and I'm chill. It's a bummer I can't smoke pot or I'd probably be a full functioning stoner. :2bong:

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 6, 2019

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
you just described nicotine addiction literally to a t, fyi.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yeah i'm p sure he's aware of the fact he has a nicotine addiction

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Already been over how it has lower potential for addiction in vaping and users can adjust the amount of nicotine they can consume in their liquids. Good thing people have options!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

On Terra Firma posted:

Already been over how it has lower potential for addiction in vaping and users can adjust the amount of nicotine they can consume in their liquids. Good thing people have options!

Objectively, yes. Subjectively, vaping is a lot easier to do on-demand and to whatever amount, so I don’t think the use patterns are the same and we need to look at how that affects addictive potential. My own experience is that my anxiety about running low on vape liquid or battery, or leaving my vape at home, was higher than with either cigarettes or snus.

Like many aspects of vaping I think this should be considered an open research question, rather than basing conclusions on “common sense” or whatever. That doesn’t mean we need to do immediate bans or anything, though.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

PT6A posted:

Objectively, yes. Subjectively, vaping is a lot easier to do on-demand and to whatever amount, so I don’t think the use patterns are the same and we need to look at how that affects addictive potential. My own experience is that my anxiety about running low on vape liquid or battery, or leaving my vape at home, was higher than with either cigarettes or snus.

Interesting. I'm the opposite. I don't feel beholden to it and when I leave town and go on vacation I usually don't bring it.

In other news my father who smoked for over fifty years had a silent heart attack and am posting from a hospital waiting room. Smoking most likely contributed to it. He took up vaping a few years ago and while his health has significantly improved its impossible to undo that much damage.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

The effects of nicotine addition last, I believe a week. So my figiting for 3 years while not smoking, not to mention my attention issues in school before I smoked have nothing to do with it. Truthfully, I should have been an anti-anxiety meds when I was teen. Probably would have prevented me from picking up the habit. I understand addition. I also have a good sense of self and what my own issues are. Please don't conflate my issues with an agenda.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

inkblottime posted:

The effects of nicotine addition last, I believe a week.

This is very much not the case and if it was quitting would be way, way easier. It's 1-3 months for for most people (somewhat debatably, up to years for some). Heavy nicotine use will rewire your brain in some pretty substantial ways that don't just undo themselves. Your neurotransmitter levels will return to a homeostasic level, but you have the greatly increased receptor density for life more or less.

Condiv posted:

yeah i'm p sure he's aware of the fact he has a nicotine addiction

reread what he wrote? where he says it's not the addiction

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 7, 2019

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

reread what he wrote? where he says it's not the addiction

no he says "it's not just the addition". as in he's aware that he's addicted, but he believes some of the relaxation he attains from nicotine consumption is not addiction related. something I can agree with since smoking had a calming effect on me irrespective of addiction as well (I never truly got addicted)

you need to stop being lovely to people in thread cause you disagree with them

inkblottime posted:

The effects of nicotine addition last, I believe a week. So my figiting for 3 years while not smoking, not to mention my attention issues in school before I smoked have nothing to do with it. Truthfully, I should have been an anti-anxiety meds when I was teen. Probably would have prevented me from picking up the habit. I understand addition. I also have a good sense of self and what my own issues are. Please don't conflate my issues with an agenda.

I'm not sure how long the effects of nicotine addiction last, but psychological addiction to something lasts a lot longer than a week, and psychological addictions to something seem to form much more strongly when you use said thing to escape stress or negative situations in life. I've stopped smoking weed for over a year now because I was using it the way you use nicotine right now, and I still crave it from time to time, especially when my life gets bad. If vaping is helping you get through poo poo right now, that's fine but I'd suggest tapering it off and trying to find other ways of relaxing yourself. You mentioned that vaping is like a meditation ritual with drugs to you, so why don't you try actual meditation and see if it can help calm you down? It's something you have to practice a lot to start seeing results from (I've been practicing it nightly for the last two weeks, and I just now feel like I'm starting to see some effects from it), but if you keep at it I'm p sure it can help calm you and help you put the brakes on your thoughts when you're getting anxious

Condiv fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 7, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Juul has pulled the mint flavour.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2019/11/07/juul-kills-popular-mint-pod-flavor-in-latest-setback/amp/

At the risk of asking an obvious question: why wouldn’t people just switch to non-Juul vapes and the huge assortment of flavours available for them?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

PT6A posted:

Juul has pulled the mint flavour.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/lisettevoytko/2019/11/07/juul-kills-popular-mint-pod-flavor-in-latest-setback/amp/

At the risk of asking an obvious question: why wouldn’t people just switch to non-Juul vapes and the huge assortment of flavours available for them?

Because the fda has been talking about banning all flavors because of teen use even though that's not what teens are using at all. Juul is just getting ready for that.

Adults are using Juul despite them being a poo poo stain company with bad business practices and it seems to help them too for better or for worse.

https://harmreductionjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12954-019-0331-5

On Terra Firma fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 8, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

We should just make the JUUls fart flavored so only white old men will smoke them

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

So after weeks of people reporting that there were contaminates in THC carts, and investigative reporters going in and finding the same thing, and the FDA stating this was the cause the CDC has finally come out and said what everyone has known for some time. It was the THC carts. loving unbelievable considering all the information out there.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2019/11/08/potential-culprit-found-vaping-related-lung-injuries-deaths/

This is why I have a distrust of the CDC.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
better ban all vapes though. Must think of the kids!!!!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

On Terra Firma posted:

It was the THC carts. loving unbelievable considering all the information out there.

From that Washington Post article

quote:

CDC officials found vitamin E acetate, an oil derived from the vitamin, in all 29 samples of lung fluid collected from patients who had fallen ill or died of lung injuries. THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, was also found in 23 patients, including three who said they had not used THC products.

What am I missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
It appears someone used the vit e oil in something other than thc carts. Also likely that at least a few people who thought they were vaping nicotine were handed a vape that was loaded with some thc juice lol. Which brings up the point that carts should be very clearly labeled wrt what is in them and at what potency.