Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

luxury handset posted:

i'm kind of done with this thread after the op's "How bad is nicotine addiction, really?" post

like, this thread probably should be folded into TCC if we're not really supposed to challenge the idea of substance addiction being itself harmful, and we are instead supposed to discuss the safest ways to use addictive substances and cheerlead our preferable sectors of the nicotine industry

https://twitter.com/dril/status/464802196060917762

who is defending alcohol itt

there's no reason to post in a thread about addictive substances with people who are addicted to those substances and are unwilling to discuss the possibility that addiction itself is not good

if you had a choice if your grandpa smoked cigs or a vape, what would you prefer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

luxury handset posted:

there is no conspiracy, you are simply factually incorrect

i haven't supported banning vaping at all? i've only consistenly pointed out the uniform similarity between pro-vape arguments itt and the pro-vape arguments made by giant tobacco companies. this makes the people advocating those arguments itt highly uncomfortable and prone to lashing out with accusations of moral panic or galloping into irrelevant detail about the noble history of the vape industry, for reasons which should be obvious

i have also pointed out the links between personal nicotine usage and shoddy argumentation itt, which should also be obvious

are you against safe-injection sites for opiate addicts?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Can you answer any of my questions? Would you rather have a family member of yours vape or smoke cigarettes? Quitting isn't an option in this scenario.

Most adult smokers will never be able to quit. Studies have said its harder to quit than HEROIN. I appreciate your enthusiasm against big business, its coming from the right place. But drat man, this is not the fight. Life isn't always "All or nothing", if we can get more smokers to vape, thats a big loving win for everyone.

Its the same for literal heroin. Its better to give them safe injection sites to lower the risks than to say "quit or die".

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'm not going to make any claims about seat-belt equipped vehicles being safer than non seat-belt equipped vehicles. The jury is still out. What if I got stuck in the seat-belt and drowned, huh. Smart guy?!? There is no difference in safety, you fool, you literal idiot.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It's possible to work on two issues at once.

What is more important, keeping the market open for a safer nicotine smoking system for current adult cigarettes smokers who are going to get cancer fast, or to prevent children from getting interested in a safer nicotine smoking system?

edit: And for context, I'm an ex-smoker who quit on my own, thinks vaping is ridiculous and embarrassing, and thinks tobacco should probably be banned for the good of the country. But I am also practical and would much rather have a family member vape than smoke. I've had more than enough people in my family die of cancer.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

evilweasel posted:

This thread started up in part because of some vapers ranting about how banning flavored vaping fluid was a big tobacco/trump plot instead of a straightforward ban on targeting children.

Vaping doesn’t need to be banned but it needs to be heavily regulated and when people whine about regulations with tobacco company logic we should come down hard on that nonsense. This thread is about positioning an highly addictive substance, sold for profit by companies with identical financial incentives to those tobacco companies had, as something benign or beneficial that should be let to run free with only the good will of vape shops restricting it. That’s nonsense.

Did anyone say they wouldnt support banning flavoured vapes? I'd be fine with that.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Herstory Begins Now posted:

IMO it's loving insane that we have let almost 30% of high school kids become regular users of vapes, which as established above, are wrt addictive potential overwhelmingly functionally identical to cigarettes.

do you think the best solution to the youth using vapes is totally banning of vapes or some kind of special restrictions not currently in the market?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So take back everything we've ever said about vaping being safer. Turns out inhaling anything is going to give you cancer. New study that just came out. I am hoping to hear some more about who paid for the research and if there isn't something funny hear (because it doesn't make much sense to me scientifically). Its very prelimary research but should vape smoke causing a 4000% increase in the rate of lung cancer versus the control group.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/07/e-cigarettes-cause-lung-cancer-in-mice-finds-first-study-tying-vaping-to-cancer.html

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

luxury handset posted:

vapes are not a recognized treatment for nicotine addiction nor is it demonstrated yet that they are safer than tobacco,

If your grandma had to smoke something, and you could get her to choose between regular cigarettes or a vape, are you telling me you would just say "ehh who knows if its really any safer?"

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

luxury handset posted:

suboxone is a recognized treatment used for opiate addiciton though

vapes are not a recognized treatment for nicotine addiction nor is it demonstrated yet that they are safer than tobacco, yet a tremendous amount of the OP's arguments in this thread revolve around cherry picking studies to assert this argument and minimizing the portion of the public health apparatus which does not endorse OP's preferred method of nicotine use, like so:

Can you answer my question?

If your grandma had to smoke something, and you could get her to choose between regular cigarettes or a vape, are you telling me you would just say "ehh who knows if its really any safer?"

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WrenP-Complete posted:

But people who didn't use THC carts had vitamin E in their lungs...

Maybe they bought lovely "CBD oil" from a gas station. Or they don't remember using a weed cart. Or they took a friends by accident. Or they did but cant admit it because of XYZ.

There is no evidence so far of any tainted nicotine carts from stores.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

WrenP-Complete posted:

They haven't analyzed all the data from the sick people yet.

I can understand the CDC's cautious stance, as the people who got sick aren't all pointing to a common source. They can take the people at face value and continue to investigate, as they are...

They are pointing to a common source. We have a history of ten years of regular nicotine vape use that has not shown these results. We have a history of 1-2 years with THC carts en masse and virtually all the cases its already confirmed they were used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I don't really know what happened over the last couple pages, but it seems pretty obvious that you can adulterate nic vape carts with vitamin E acetate, also seems painfully obvious that Juul doesn't give a gently caress about user safety, also seems painfully obvious that there are any number of counterfeit Juul or other nic pods out there which may share production lines with other black market products...

...I think it's really dubious to be making any sweeping claims about what is or isn't possible, or what is or isn't happening. Certainly the majority of cases appear to relate to THC carts, but when you have six of 27 lung fluid samples with no THC, and 3000 cases with 20% of them claiming no THC use... could all those people be lying? Sure. Do I think that's likely? No. Do we have the data to definitively argue it one way or another? Definitely not.

I'd be happy to make some retail-looking vape carts with nicotine and vit E acetate in it, but I'm not sure what that would prove.

Have you considered that even the few people who hypothetically are being honest about not using THC carts, may have been using lovely black market CBD carts?

We still have found no nicotine carts with the Vit A in them.