Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Idgi, how is moderate (non-smoking/non-vaping)nicotine use qualitatively different from moderate caffeine use? is this some weird American moralism/puritanism thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Omobono posted:

:stare:
:stonk:
:stonklol:

Did you just compare nicotine to caffeine?

Please educate me

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Eat The Rich posted:

I'm an asthmatic and I've been smoking cigarettes on and off for 10+ years. There is an extreme difference in how often I use my inhaler when I only vape. When I'm regularly smoking cigarettes, I pound through an inhaler in less than a month. When I'm only vaping, it takes me a few months. I'm hoping to quit vaping for good soon but at least right now, I can breathe.

With all the bans happening in the US it must really suck to live in constant fear that you might have to go back to smoking soon.

I had been a smoker for years before switching to vaping and I actually enjoy nicotine use. I don't suffer any side-effects except for what you get from general stimulant use and don't plan to ever stop. Lucky, our political system is much less prone to moral panic and hysteria than the US one so luckily we can somehow waddle through this without bans until the soccer moms calm down in a couple of years.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Makes me wonder, is vaping even an addiction in the psychiatric sense? Don't you need some negative consequences/harm for that?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Addiction doesn't mean it's harmful, it just means you have an inability to stop consuming a substance.

Such a definition would make oxygen and water addictive.

eviltastic posted:

"Addiction" isn't quite the word anymore. The relevant bit in the DSM 5 would be a diagnosis of a substance use disorder, specifically tobacco. Pretty sure E-cigs, vape pens, and so on are considered a tobacco product for the purposes of that section. The large majority of diagnostic criteria do involve behavior/impairment in some fashion.

Yeah, but why would it be included? What's the impairment?

Now that I think about it, there are definitely social consequences cause you usually have to go outside for vaping which can be isolating. Also, you need to take regular vape breaks which can have negative consequences on your job performance. But then again, you get similar impairments from caffeine consumption and nobody would call a coffee drinker impaired.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Bullfrog posted:

I think the entrance of Altira into juul is a self-preservation tactic in the face of a vastly superior product, rather than part of their plan all along to keep people addicted to extremely harmful cigarettes.

There are still 34 million American smokers, while only 9 to 14 million americans vape. To call vaping an "epidemic" in the face of smoking numbers still that high reflect bad priorities.

Depending on how big the pod/cartridge market can grow, tobacco companies might be in for a very hard time. A gallon of nicotine liquid costs only a couple of bucks and lasts you ten life times. Flavour and base are even cheaper. Can't buy a private jet off these profit margins.

If I was in their position I would do everything imaginable to fight vaping through legislative means, try to build up brand recognition in the pod market and try to discredit non-pod vaping. (Maybe also make an account at a dead gay comedy forum and screech about THE CHILDREN.)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

PT6A posted:

I'm honestly curious why lovely THC carts are a US-only problem.

I think the market for stuff like THC carts is just a lot smaller outside the US. Weed is still illegal in all of Europe and IRC the rest of the world. In places where it's decriminalized or weakly enforced there is no wholesale or consumerist culture around it like in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Terra, I applaud your effort but I don't think your are getting anywhere and you are just waisting your time.

e: I always wondered how boomerification will hit our generation and it would be absolutely hilarious if e-cigs is one of the things the brain worms latch on to. Imagine space grandpa ranting about lazy space kids juuling all day at space thanksgiving :allears:

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 20, 2019